Seraph-inspired thinline/semi-hollow

Perhaps there is just too much humidity where you are to be spraying. If I recall you are in Florida so very likely that is what it is.

stratamania said:
Perhaps there is just too much humidity where you are to be spraying. If I recall you are in Florida so very likely that is what it is.

That rings true, most of the photos are outside, understandable, shooting paint products inside is a challenge, otoh paint shops have climate control for a reason.

@ragamuffin, prefacing thoughts with my admiration for the beautiful carving work you've done! For perspective, I started finish work on my strat build in mid may and didn't get to finished for 3.5 months :). There were plenty of 1 step fwd, 2 back moments!

Can you let the body sit in a 40-50% RH environment for a week or two to stabilize? then commence finish work with minimal humidity exposure?

Given where you live, I might make a first step applying a moisture barrier to the interior surfaces? My first finish steps were shellac in my control cavity as a prep surface for applying conductive paint. Then my first 2 layers of tung oil also covered all interior surfaces to aim for similar response to humidity changes all over the structure.

Thanks guys, yeah it's probably the humidity (it's been "low-er" lately, but not low), possibly too warm, and I might have sprayed too many coats at once as well.

I'm going to sand back, buy a hygrometer, and probably wait about a month for cooler, dryer weather. I'll keep the body inside the house in lower humidity until then

Got the shipping notification for my neck yesterday! I was hoping to have the body finished or nearly finished by the time it got here, but the finishing gods mocked my plans haha.

Also, we've got a cool front going on, so I might get to do some spraying later this week  :icon_thumright:

ragamuffin said:
Got the shipping notification for my neck yesterday! I was hoping to have the body finished or nearly finished by the time it got here, but the finishing gods mocked my plans haha.

Also, we've got a cool front going on, so I might get to do some spraying later this week  :icon_thumright:

Check the humidity also just in case.

Mr. UPS showed up with my neck today. It's pretty nice looking!

VljO2BQ.jpg

S9s5IiY.jpg

NTsHovj.jpg

The weather has not been spray-friendly, so no progress on the finish.

Cooler, dryer weather has arrived! It was about 70F and 40% humidity this afternoon, so I shot what was left of my sanding sealer (about a coat and a half) and two coats of clear which I will let harden and level sand before continuing.

PCDsKbL.jpg

Update: In case you're wondering, I haven't really made any progress lol.

I deal with occasional bouts of depression, and over the past couple of months my mental health (and also the weather) have not been conducive to working on the finish.

Coming back to the build I've noticed that I can easily see and feel the grain in some spots across the top; so I think I'm going to have either sand down the finish and redo the grain filler, or sand back lightly and shoot a lot more sanding sealer (and I'm out of sanding sealer.)

Anyways, I will finish this build! Eventually...

Hey look, I'm famous! Or at least my guitar is. My blushing picture made it into a Stewmac article! lol  :eek:ccasion14: :dontknow:

X3mVZoz.png

Anyhoo, Florida "Winter" is pretty much over; temps will be in the 70s and relatively dry in the coming weeks so I get to start fixing my finish. Wish me luck!

Well, today was a perfect day to spray! About 70-75F, and around 45% humidity according to my little digital hygrometer. I level sanded the existing finish with 400 grit sandpaper, and then got to the spraying!

I did two light coats of sanding sealer about an hour and a half apart, after another hour and a half I shot the sunburst, let that dry, and did another light coat of sanding sealer. I tried to achieve a less prominent/smaller burst, and I think I managed to do that at least a little.

I got a beautiful pic pre burst, but couldn't get a great pic after; I guess due to the time of day. Anyways I think it came out pretty good!

jTQ85ES.jpg

8WjDYop.jpg

Sprayed what will hopefully be the last coat of lacquer today! Ten and a half coats total; two cans and a partial of clear gloss. Now to hurry up and wait.

How long do you guys recommend to let nitro cure? The can says 10-14 days, but I've seen others recommend upwards of a month...

TVBDGvt.jpg

I am no expert on finishing. However I do know that how long nitro takes to cure has been debated for decades. Some old timers say that it can actually take years to fully cure. Who knows. But considering the problems it's given you so far, I'd give it at least 3 weeks or longer. Too many variables to follow the can advice, which assumes near perfect environmental conditions, better to err on the side of safety............. :icon_thumright:

I waited about a month to polish my last Nitro finish.  Man, it is tough to do!  I have failed to do so in the past while trying to fix a small imperfection, and created Nitro goo in the process.

Thanks guys! I'm going to try wait as long as I can bear it... Aiming for 3-4 weeks  :eek:ccasion14:

(Not-so) patiently waiting for the nitro to cure! Took the body off the spray stand and took a pretty picture. Also installed the tuners and truss rod cover on the neck.

XtrEYBm.jpg

kRY38Du.jpg

And the finish is finished! I ran out of patience and decided that today was the day (3 weeks minus a day). Wet sanded with 800, 1000, 1500, and 2000. Polished with a rotary polisher and Stewmac "Fine" and "Swirl remover" polishes. I'm super happy with the results! I can't wait to start assembling (and cleaning up the remnants of the polish)

PAJMGLg.jpg

DPcFJiS.jpg

Back