One more for the road

Over the past couple days I worked on the neck; dressing/rounding the fret ends, polishing the frets with a dremel, polishing/burnishing the shaft up to 4000 with micromesh papers, and rubbing a drop or two of mineral oil into the fretboard.

I still don't have the pickup rings and knobs yet, but I was anxious to play so I used some old pickup plastic pickup rings and taped them on with masking tape so I could here how it sounds. I strung it up and plugged it in and it sounded kind of thin; turns out I had wired my bass cut pot backward so I fixed that and it's sounding great!

DA1238A0-3551-446C-A7F1-25F8A919E8DD copy.JPG

Stunning. I may abandon my shellac plan and do this. Is this just tru oil and sand paper or did you add "stock sheen" (whatever that is) ?
Thanks! Yes I applied the initial coats with a piece of shop towel, then two applied with 600 grit sandpaper to fill the grain some (you might do 3-4 to fully fill the grain), sanded back slightly to smooth things out, and then applied a few some more thin coats with a shop towel until it got to a high gloss.

I didn't want full gloss, so I rubbed it down with the stock sheen to reduces the shine. Basically it's like a cream with some very fine pumice in it.

I jest about blue tape but I know this is a guitar build and not simply putting parts on a body. I admire that and hope to do 1 or 2 in the future. My biggest fear is not getting the neck pocket and the intonation right. It looks great.

Back