Seraph-inspired thinline/semi-hollow

teleme01 said:
sounds simple but couldnt you peg the holes and drill new ones?  like you would do with small pickguard holes ?

That's a great idea, with proviso that the necessary shift still needs more material. So you'd extend on the north side of bridge, rather than the south side. Ultimately 6:1/2 dozen.

or another thought,  fits in my shovel theory,  overroute like pickup overroutes and have a large recess ?  wouldnt look 100% but might work ?  he said with a question mark ?

I say fill the holes (for strength sake) and make the route slightly bigger to accommodate a bridge in the proper position. That is why I thought of a Harmonica style bridge that would be a bit bigger and cover up the filled holes, while still allowing for enough travel/function to perform the job. The route would have to be more rectangular, but it might look cool.

Hey guys thanks for the input. I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to have to reroute and re drill for the bridge: the current location is just a little too far off to make it work, and the recess further complicates things.

I think if I do it carefully the new route won't look too bad. I may even be able to call in a favor and have someone at my community college help me do it with a CNC just to be extra careful about it.

As for the current bridge route, I think instead of trying to make it blend in I could make it a feature. I could make a decorative plug for it, possibly out of ebony? and maybe a m.o.p. inlay or engraving on it? Possibly a short quote or a symbol for renewal/rebirth like a small phoenix or lotus flower. I haven't decided on the details but I think that's that plan.

This build has been a HUGE learning process for me with a lot of joy and a healthy dose of pain. Still I'll find a way to make things work.  :icon_thumright:

ragamuffin said:
Hey guys thanks for the input. I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to have to reroute and re drill for the bridge: the current location is just a little too far off to make it work, and the recess further complicates things

The good thing about this idea is you don't need a different bridge!

ragamuffin said:
As for the current bridge route, I think instead of trying to make it blend in I could make it a feature. I could make a decorative plug for it, possibly out of ebony? and maybe a m.o.p. inlay or engraving on it? Possibly a short quote or a symbol for renewal/rebirth like a small phoenix or lotus flower. I haven't decided on the details but I think that's that plan.

I just had a thought - if you're going to make it a feature, why not use it to add some kind of alternative guitar pickup?  Like maybe the ghost system or something.

Mayfly said:
I just had a thought - if you're going to make it a feature, why not use it to add some kind of alternative guitar pickup?  Like maybe the ghost system or something.

Oooh... I've never played around with a piezo system on an electric. I might have to consider that!

Awhh so sorry man. I like the idea of a a decorative feature with an inlay. Nice that your making the most of it. I'm currently fixing one I made in the past where the bridge was slightly forward. Just couldn't intonate the top E string. It is on a strat though so a buy easier to cover up.

Well, I routed for the new bridge recess location... Like a lot of things in this build it didn't go according to plan. The router bit slipped and made a mess of things.

So, I decided to make a plug for the old bridge recess, and a thin stock bubinga plug for the NEW location. But things turned out fine. I wish I could have made the ebony plug fit a little tighter but I'm pretty happy with it. Next I will brush a little bit of lacquer over the exposed bubinga area, and drill the bridge stud holes.

Before:
A1QwnVo.jpg

After:
EemvjW4.jpg

Well good on you for having the courage to fix it! I bet it looks great all strung up.

And all put back together! The ebony plug not permanently installed yet; I'm considering doing some inlay work on it or getting someone else to do the inlay work for me.

She's playing and sounding great! Smooth and slightly mid focused. The bridge pickup is a little softer and fatter than on most guitars I think due to it being a half inch or so closer to the fretboard, but I'm perfectly ok with that. I've got other guitar that can get brighter/tighter.

C6Z6P8l.jpg

vbXL1bZ.jpg

eL9gOVV.jpg

I'm going to take her to a tech sometime this week to have a little bit of filing done on the nut and saddles and a good setup.  :icon_thumright:

i wonder what would happen if you mounted a single coil that close to the bridge

teleme01 said:
i wonder what would happen if you mounted a single coil that close to the bridge

Hahaha, I bet it would be really bright! Could be cool though, especially in combination with the other pickups

ragamuffin said:
teleme01 said:

Hahaha, I bet it would be really bright! Could be cool though, especially in combination with the other pickups

Its not a bad idea but with a twist on it. You have room to place a Roland GK pickup if you wanted to get into guitar synths.

Or you could move the Humbucker closer to the bridge and then put a single coil next to it similar to the Musicman Steve Morse Y2D layout.

stratamania said:
ragamuffin said:
teleme01 said:

Its not a bad idea but with a twist on it. You have room to place a Roland GK pickup if you wanted to get into guitar synths.

Or you could move the Humbucker closer to the bridge and then put a single coil next to it similar to the Musicman Steve Morse Y2D layout.
LOL, totally didn't read your post, and said same thing.... :doh:

The Roland synth pickup sounds really cool, but it's not something I could see myself getting full use out of.

Does anybody know of a piezo system for electric that's more like a stick on (not a bridge assembly)? is that a thing? The problem with the T.o.M piezo systems I've seen is that they all seem to have a 12" radius and say not to file the saddles and my neck is a 10-16" radius

Back