Seraph-inspired thinline/semi-hollow

ragamuffin said:
The Roland synth pickup sounds really cool, but it's not something I could see myself getting full use out of.

Does anybody know of a piezo system for electric that's more like a stick on (not a bridge assembly)? is that a thing? The problem with the T.o.M piezo systems I've seen is that they all seem to have a 12" radius and say not to file the saddles and my neck is a 10-16" radius

I installed a set of ghost piezos (each is embedded into an adjustable saddle) in my W-strat, I don't use them a lot, however blending them with my bridge HB does some really nice things. I could record you some samples if you'd like to hear their sound.

DangerousR6 said:
stratamania said:
ragamuffin said:
teleme01 said:
i wonder what would happen if you mounted a single coil that close to the bridge

Hahaha, I bet it would be really bright! Could be cool though, especially in combination with the other pickups

Its not a bad idea but with a twist on it. You have room to place a Roland GK pickup if you wanted to get into guitar synths.

Or you could move the Humbucker closer to the bridge and then put a single coil next to it similar to the Musicman Steve Morse Y2D layout.
LOL, totally didn't read your post, and said same thing.... :doh:

Great minds and all that  :icon_thumright:

ragamuffin said:
The Roland synth pickup sounds really cool, but it's not something I could see myself getting full use out of.

Does anybody know of a piezo system for electric that's more like a stick on (not a bridge assembly)? is that a thing? The problem with the T.o.M piezo systems I've seen is that they all seem to have a 12" radius and say not to file the saddles and my neck is a 10-16" radius

I am not aware of a TOM style Piezo with a larger radius than 12". Of course who knows someone may know of one...

In terms of the Synth type pickups:

GK3 mounts onto most guitars and certainly would on yours.

https://www.roland.com/global/products/gk-3/

GK Kit for fitting into the guitar.

https://www.roland.com/us/products/gk-kit-gt3/

And if you did not want to get into full guitar synth stuff with the likes of the GR55, there is a GK compatible Boss GP10 which will give you lots of modelled guitar stuff including acoustics and altered tunings etc.

https://www.boss.info/us/products/gp-10/

Call me the thread necromancer, 'cause I'm bringing it back now y'all! This guitar sounds and plays really great, and it's quickly become my numero uno.

I've been a little too busy and/or apathetic to work on this for a while, but I think now is the time for me to attempt the inlay work that I was thinking about on the ebony "filler" block. I've been absorbing lots of videos and instructionals on how to do mother of pearl inlay, and soon I will be giving it a shot!

Basically the process consists of cutting your shape out of the m.o.p. using a jeweler's saw with a very fine blade, tracing the shape onto the wood, then routing out the traced area with Dremel and gluing in the inlay. I'm sure I'll screw things up at least a few times. ;)

If all goes well, I'll be doing an unopened lotus flower with a long, wavy stem (sketch to come) on the filler block, and maybe an open lotus flower on the truss rod cover as well.

I obtained an ounce of nice big mother of pearl pieces from De Paule Supply/luthiersupply.com and they're very pretty! I'm a bit scared to f*ck them up, but I guess that's just part of the process.

FMvuIXQ.jpg

Call me the thread necromancer, 'cause I'm bringing it back now y'all! This guitar sounds and plays really great, and it's quickly become my numero uno.

I've been a little too busy and/or apathetic to work on this for a while, but I think now is the time for me to attempt the inlay work that I was thinking about on the ebony "filler" block. I've been absorbing lots of videos and instructionals on how to do mother of pearl inlay, and soon I will be giving it a shot!

Basically the process consists of cutting your shape out of the m.o.p. using a jeweler's saw with a very fine blade, tracing the shape onto the wood, then routing out the traced area with Dremel and gluing in the inlay. I'm sure I'll screw things up at least a few times. ;)

If all goes well, I'll be doing an unopened lotus flower with a long, wavy stem (sketch to come) on the filler block, and maybe an open lotus flower on the truss rod cover as well.

I obtained an ounce of nice big mother of pearl pieces from De Paule Supply/luthiersupply.com and they're very pretty! I'm a bit scared to f*ck them up, but I guess that's just part of the process.

FMvuIXQ.jpg
Are you doing this because I mentioned using a dremel wheel myself?

Perhaps try a mix of glue (tite bond or similar) and some korina dust you have left over. Whatever you use you might have to reconsider a transparent finish at least on the edges.

Stratamania's suggested fix worked for me on a build I had done

By the way, I have zero doubt your guitar is going to come out ridiculously awesome

Got to work on the inlay today. I drew out the design on blue painter's tape, then cut it out, cut it in half (because it's longer than the pearl) and then stuck it on the m.o.p.

gZKeB9L.jpg

Next I carefully cut it out with the jewlers saw, and about an hour and ten broken blades later I had it cut out and cleaned it up a bit with a fine file.

VO95BvV.jpg

Looks pretty nice to me!

Mq7REkO.jpg

Next will be the scary part, the Dremel routing... I'll definitely be practicing at least a couple times before touching the ebony piece! Unfortunately I'm getting the Dremel for Christmas, so I'll have to wait till then to start. 🎄

Santa decided to let me have my Dremel a little early! ;)

I practiced on a thin piece of bubinga that was originally going to be a cavity cover. This is my first attempt, and I think it turned out pretty well.

nhrx7Gn.jpg

Not perfect, but not the disaster that I expected on my first try. The hardest part is trying to keep my eye on the line and the tiny 1/32" engraving bit.

Last edited:
I wish I could take the like back now, as you opened the dremel up way too early before Xmas and should be punished in some way.

I wish I could take the like back now, as you opened the dremel up way too early before Xmas and should be punished in some way.
It was 110% real deal official Santa approved, I swear! He even had a check mark next to his Twitter handle!

Yesterday I worked up the courage to route the ebony. I put the pearl in, and filled the imperfections with black grain filler, and today I sanded and cleaned it all up. I think it turned out pretty great if I do say so myself!

a95a5xs.jpg

aVgupts.jpg

I'm very happy with how it turned out, I may even consider doing an inlay on truss rod cover!

Back