One more for the road

ragamuffin

Over the past ten years I've built around seven and a half-ish guitars and learned a lot about my preferences, had a lot of fun, and gained new skills along the way. And while it's highly unlikely that I'll ever stop building guitars, due to some upcoming life changes, and because I've honed in on my preferred specs, this upcoming build might be my last... at least for the near future.

I did a thing today and ordered this beautiful hunk of figured claro walnut from Larose Guitars on instagram, who will be re-sawing it for me into a .6" carve top

Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 7.11.34 PM copy.png

Tentative specs:
-Lp doublecut/Ibanez Artist type shape
-Carved walnut top
-Korina core with tummy cut and heel access
-HH with some good p.a.f. type humbuckers, probably Wolfetone or Zhangbucker
-Volume, tone, bass cut wiring
-25.5" scale length
-Recessed Hipshot t.o.m. stringthrough
-'59 roundback vortex neck, probably canary with zircote board

Last edited:
Over the past ten years I've built around seven and a half-ish guitars and learned a lot about my preferences, had a lot of fun, and gained new skills along the way. And while it's highly unlikely that I'll ever stop building guitars, due to some upcoming life changes, and because I've honed in on my preferred specs, this upcoming build might be my last... at least for the near future.

I did a thing today and ordered this beautiful hunk of figured claro walnut from Larose Guitars on instagram, who will be re-sawing it for me into a .6" carve top

View attachment 61082

Tentative specs:
-Lp doublecut/Ibanez Artist type shape
-Carved walnut top
-Korina core with tummy cut and heel access
-HH with some good p.a.f. type humbuckers, probably Wolfetone or Zhangbucker
-Volume, tone, bass cut wiring
-25.5" scale length
-Hipshot hardtail bridge
-'59 roundback vortex neck, probably canary with zircote
Sometimes ya gotta know when to say when. The Velocity is going to be my last one too and wasn't going to happen if not for the 50 dollar body. I just wanna play some now. I have enjoyed the hell out of your builds and you great sense of humor. This new build looks incredible!

Gorgeous chunk of wood to start, love the plan.

If you’re open to suggestions for the P.A.F.s, check out Re-wind Electric. James prices have gotten much higher, but they ended my search for a Les Paul/humbucking guitar about 10 years ago… and I’d have a hard time not buying another pair if I ever outift another one.

Thanks guys! Even if this is my last I don't think I'll be going anywhere; got to live vicariously through others' builds :LOL:
Can't wait to get started on this one!

The parts are starting to come in! Most of which have been easy to procure, but I'm having a hard time finding a 1meg reverse audio taper pot for my bass cut; normally I buy them from G&L's website, but they're sold out there.

Scored a set of Zhangbucker pickups on Reverb for a good price, they're the "Brownbucker" and "Woodbucker" set, the bridge being on the hotter side of p.a.f. territory.

A08BF431-8B33-4CDB-95CF-58A8E3D07156 copy.JPG

amplified parts has em but they are Alpha's
Yeah in particular I'm hoping to find a long shaft pot, thanks though. Now that I think of it I might have an extra from a previous build floating around somewhere... somewhere being the key word.

I'm getting antsy to start this build! But the wood isn't here yet and the body template that I ordered will probably be another week or two...
So I'm getting prepped instead; I made this template for recessing the bridge today and I'm getting all my parts and tools in order.

IMG_1927 copy.jpg

Wowza!! I got a beautiful hunk of walnut today, shown flooded with mineral spirits.

The only problem is that Larose didn't plane it like they said they would... Actually I don't think they planed it at all; looks like they just pushed it through the bandsaw and mailed it to me. Which would be a pretty big issue for me since I don't own a planer, but luckily I have some friends at the wood shop at the USF art department which has a big 'ol planer and if I cry a little will probably plane it for me.

4BB812B1-8CC2-4817-97A4-CE1DB292FF38 copy.JPG

Last edited:
Back