Roadhouse Build thread

That's so true, Ian. It needs to cure a bit then I can rub out the clear and start putting it together. Photos will come along as it happens.

I didn't like the quality of the last clear coat so today I scuffed it good and gave it another. Now the wait begins...

That certainly is an exceptional looking piece of mahogany. Love the way the grain follows the curves of the body. Absolutely glowing!  :icon_thumright:

Finally it's moving forward!

So the weather is cooperating, my sprained shoulder is starting to heal and I got to complete the great dust- and bug-free drying box. It's just a 1x1 plywood frame with Coroplast stapled on and a filter frame on each side so air can circulate and the vapors don't just get trapped in with the project. For lack of any real filter material, a shop rag stapled on the inside of the frame should be effective enough. In the future, I might even put a fan on one side but it really isn't big enough to properly spray in there.
sg2Q8Za.jpg

I sanded the whole thing with steel wool to break the glaze and put a coat of wipe-on poly on. I know better than to use steel wool, but I tried 600 grit and couldn't control it properly with my left hand and really didn't want to sand through anywhere. I did wipe it thoroughly before doing the clear coat.
Lz9uDwi.jpg

Rgand said:
Thanks, Frank.

I worked up a brown burst with pearl pickguard to see what it might look like. I'm likin' this a lot.
VxzlKqz.png
That is pure sweetness!! I love the way the control plate flows with the body shape. The brown and pearl is awesome.

JPOL007 said:
Rgand said:
Thanks, Frank.

I worked up a brown burst with pearl pickguard to see what it might look like. I'm likin' this a lot.
VxzlKqz.png
That is pure sweetness!! I love the way the control plate flows with the body shape. The brown and pearl is awesome.
Thanks. I have some different pearloid samples and will see if one of those will look good with the mahogany when I get to making the pickguard.

Since JPOL007 mentioned the pickguard, I did a quick composite using photos of the actual neck and the actual body with a pearl pickguard on it. Shades will vary depending on the light but this shows a fairly good idea of the looks. Opinions are most welcome on this.
3uoPnuM.png

That's a good thing to look at, Steve. I hadn't gotten there yet. I'm not totally sold on anything yet. Thanks for the suggestion.

Black pearl (or as close as I can make it):
di8umih.png

Black:
MLZZn5K.png

I'm leaning toward less busy. I tried tortoise and there was too much going on. Cleaner shows off the grain better.

I'd like to find a dark brown material but no one seems to make it. Probably because there are just too many shades of it to be practical.

My vote is for black, too. It would be too busy otherwise. I also tried cream and white but even those were too commanding. Black it will be. I guess I'd better order the material. Thanks for the input from all of you.

You know, and I mean this as a compliment, that thing has a real Peavey T-60 vibe to it!

Mayfly said:
You know, and I mean this as a compliment, that thing has a real Peavey T-60 vibe to it!
I hadn't thought about it before, but you're right. Electric guitars have been around for enough years that most things have been done to a degree already.

Back