Roadhouse Build thread

I've been updating my bandsaw and router table, amongst other tools. Still I managed to make a bunch of templates and get some work done so I figured it was time for an update.

So far I have all the routing done except for the roundovers and comfort contours. The spring cavity is supposed to be 3/4" deep but I made the pickup cavities 1" deep and that would mean 0.0 inches between them so I just stopped routing at about .680" which leaves .070" or just under 3/32" between the cavities. I should be able to make the springs work in that space. Next time I'll make the pickup cavities 7/8" and have plenty of room.

My iphone photos always look odd. This time, there are shadows from two directions in the cavities. It's about time to dip that phone in the toilet tank.

eGuFRXm.jpg

Jed7p0K.jpg

Thanks, Kevin. My Whiteside bits really cut a heck of a lot better than the others I have, even more so than one Freud. A couple bits I used on the Telerauder have been replaced already with decent ones. Thanks for the tip on Whiteside.

Thanks, Ian. That piece of mahogany is really outstanding. It will look amazing. No solid color for this body.

Bagman67 said:
I'm curious:  As that blank approaches its final dimensions, how's the weight?
I'm glad you asked that. I hadn't weighed it at all. I was going to do that after the bulk of the wood has been removed BUT, since you asked I just ran down there with a bathroom scale to get a rough idea (the bath scale is only calibrated to the nearest half a pound). It came in at 4-1/2 lbs. Bear in mind there will be a 7/16" roundover, and belly and forearm contours. I also have toyed with the idea of a rear relief for upper fret access on the lower horn and a contoured heel. If I do all of that, it should be significantly lighter. I'll weigh it with a postal scale after it's all routed and shaped.

For reference, my extra light swamp ash Telerauder body weighed 3 lbs 7 oz but it was 1/8" thinner, a half an inch longer and an inch wider in the lower bout. It'll be an interesting comparison.

EDIT: I just looked in the builder and there are unfinished mahogany Strat bodies anywhere from 4 to 5.5 lbs. The same with Jazzmasters.

Oh, yeah, I have to drill a few holes for wires but the weight relief from those will be negligible.

Roundover and comfort contours done. I stayed with just the belly and forearm contours. I still may do the heel yet but am undecided about that. The fret access contour would get really close to the control cavity so it won't happen. The postal scale says it weighs 4 lbs 12 oz so I guess it's a solid one. Leave it to bathroom scales to lie to you. :laughing11:

lwJXBeI.jpg

LoaraLp.jpg

Me too. I was tempted to cut the forearm contour along the grain line but it's close enough to look good the way it is.

Now that the edge radius is cut in, I gotta say: That's one slamm'n design! And that grain is absolutely killer! Keep them pix a'coming.....  :headbang:

Thanks, Steve. Will keep them coming as there's something to show.

After much head-scratching, I've decided to go for transparent red on this one. That grain needs the right color. Something like this:
6gd4zTI.png

Yeah. I tried all kinds of browns and whatnot. Even black but nothing did the wood justice.

Thanks, Stratamania. I'll experiment with different shades on samples. I'm looking forward to that.

Rgand said:
After much head-scratching, I've decided to go for transparent red on this one. That grain needs the right color.
Hell yes! That color works wonderfully!  :eek:

Thanks, Steve.

I did a bit of pre-fitting just to make sure everything lines up the way it should. The neck goes on without any slop or binding and lines up with the bridge. There's room for all the saddles to adjust correctly. I guess the next thing is to start prepping for paint a finish.
HiFFK6V.jpg

Back