Roadhouse Build thread

Yeah, both combinations are great.

Say, what's the tonal quality of peanut butter?

Before I started sanding I made room for a push/push switch in case I ever wanted one. That involved deepening the upper control rout to the same depth as the pickup cavity, routing room at the neck end for the switch and cutting a channel between the two for the wires. I'll modify my pattern for any future build.

Q1X0ihl.png

Then I started sanding. Of all the steps in building a body, sanding is my least favorite. I have about 5 hours on it already and there's more to go.

Rgand said:
Of all the steps in building a body, sanding is my least favorite. I have about 5 hours on it already and there's more to go.

You're not alone. I have it on good authority that 87.5% of people hate sanding, and 92.1% of finishes suffer as a result  :laughing7:

Hang in there. Patience pays.

Cagey said:
Rgand said:
Of all the steps in building a body, sanding is my least favorite. I have about 5 hours on it already and there's more to go.

You're not alone. I have it on good authority that 87.5% of people hate sanding, and 92.1% of finishes suffer as a result  :laughing7:

Hang in there. Patience pays.
Yeah. I probably have another couple hours before I'm done with 220. Then... 320! :laughing7:

I can usually tolerate the flat surfaces, outside curves and radii, it's those inside curves that drive me nuts.

Cagey said:
I can usually tolerate the flat surfaces, outside curves and radii, it's those inside curves that drive me nuts.
I wrap sandpaper around all kinds of things to get in there.

As I put the color coats on, the mahogany is coming alive. The chatoyance is increasing. I could quit now and it would be spectacular. A few more coats, though should do the trick. Then the clear coats.
O6yziGF.jpg

Thanks, Ian, that's a fine piece of wood.

Check out the cool poplar I have for the next one (still on the drawing board).
AcNVZeR.jpg

Man that body is stunning! I love the way the grain follows the contours of the body shape, unbelievable. Stuff like that doesn't happen except by divine intervention I think.

I put a couple more coats on then started with clear coats. I put the last one on today. Now the hardest step: wait for it to cure before messing with it. The color is similar to what it shows in the last photo but with more depth. I was targeting more red but just didn't want to go beyond the natural beauty it shows at this point. I did take a few photos today before the last clear coat but the lighting this afternoon was wierd with all the smoke in the air and the indirect afternoon light. It didn't look anything like what it really is. The photos made it look like seaweed brown. I guess pics will need to wait for better conditions. My smart phone has issues with lighting and showing colors the way they really are. I'm pleased with the way it turned out.

Back