Roadhouse Build thread

I now have the new gloss black pickguard material. I figured this thing needs to progress before I get in for shoulder surgery and can't do anything on it in a sling.

So I picked up a palm polisher and although it isn't as safe as hand work, it does get the job done. Here it is after I did some work on it. It's ready at this point.
rrDvHwo.jpg

I put the bridge on. It'll have to come off one more time but this is good for fitting the pickguard.
1FP1JYL.jpg

Next I need to shape the headstock and put the neck on so I can check the fit of the pickguard after it's made. That's assuming I use my maple/rosewood neck instead of the maple/maple one. I still vasillate on that.

Dayum, dudezor, that's killer. What the shoot bridge is it? It's classy and almost sinister. Did you sand off the Big W's stamp in the pocket? I'm feeling a little flush right now, oh dear I think I'm catchin the vapors!

Thanks. The bridge is a Trem King TKS-2.

The body is my own design, a variant of the Telerauder I made before but smaller, call it a 7/8 size one. I cut that out of a beautiful piece of mahogany I got from our very own Bagman67.

Really coming along nicely! I'd never seen that bridge before, looks interesting, anxious to hear how you like it. And starting "The Bobber" while still working on this one makes me kinda jealous! Two beautiful guitars at once, very ambitious!  :glasses10:

BigSteve22 said:
Really coming along nicely! I'd never seen that bridge before, looks interesting, anxious to hear how you like it. And starting "The Bobber" while still working on this one makes me kinda jealous! Two beautiful guitars at once, very ambitious!  :glasses10:
Thanks, Steve.

When there are certain things that need to be done but one is limited in that regard, one still needs to stay busy. :icon_biggrin:

I was out working on the pickguard for this one today. Got the material on the pattern ready to rout. This time I cut the excess off close all the way around. No more GRABs allowed. :laughing11:

The pickguard is cut and everything fits except the neck pickup opening which is a bit tight yet. All the pickguard screw holes are drilled with the pilot hole size at this time. I'll transfer those to the body before opening them up and counter sinking for the screws. I put a 30 degree taper on the edges. I may use Tele Custom style knobs.

zLDchhi.jpg

Thanks, Kevin. It's a fun build. Of course, they're ALL fun builds! :icon_biggrin:

I got the back of the PG covered with copper tape. Everything will ground together now, even the areas where nothing is put just in case I want to do something there later. I filed the pickup opening a bit and mounted the pickup in it.

I have a couple full sized Bourns 500K pots I was planning to use but don't like the way they feel. They are rough feeling and have very little resistance when turned. Maybe they're fakes. At any rate, I put some unbranded 500K mini pots in there for now. I couldn't find my grounding lugs to put under them so I got online and ordered those and a couple more full sized Bourns pots. If everything arrives in a timely manner fine but as it is right now, I can wire everything up if it looks like I'm running out of time. I do have some better knobs for the controls, too.

3YhoPIy.jpg

Rgand said:
The pickguard is cut and everything fits except the neck pickup opening which is a bit tight yet. All the pickguard screw holes are drilled with the pilot hole size at this time. I'll transfer those to the body before opening them up and counter sinking for the screws. I put a 30 degree taper on the edges. I may use Tele Custom style knobs.

zLDchhi.jpg
That is simply beautiful :icon_thumright:

Bagman67 said:
Tidy work as usual, Robert.

JPOL007 said:
That is simply beautiful :icon_thumright:

Thank you both.

Does anyone know of a rattle can of chrome finish that can be had? The mirror shiny stuff, not just another can of silver paint. I'd love to have chrome amp knobs to go on it.
s-l1600.jpg

How's about something like these?
61sQSbnpeWL._SL1280_.jpg

Available from Amazon, here:
https://www.amazon.com/Chrome-Vintage-Guitar-Amplifier-Reflector/dp/B07563Q6VL

Thanks for the suggestion, Steve. I looked at those but they're a brushed silver finish or I'd be all over them. I did order some clear ones and will see if I can spray the bottom side to get close to the look I want. I think it'll be a while on them, though. They might be coming from China by rowboat.

I have some of these and they're nice. I put some on my JM and like the feel but I'd still rather have the chrome amp knobs.
s-l500.jpg

Back