What do you do for a living?

I work in the gaming industry as a slot network analyst, which really means I watch computers blink. Also I do a bunch of side jobs doing book covers and random things like that, and once again am a part-time student.

toronado said:
I'm an audio engineer, working in the post production sector for a DVD/Bluray Disc Mastering Studio.
A fellow fader jockey!!  :icon_thumright:

I work as an audio engineer as well, except at a television station.  Was doing the live-to-broadcast mix until about a year ago, when I was promoted to our post-production department.  My work now involves everything from ADR, editing/mixing, and sound design for all the pre-packaged items, but I still do some live, and some field audio.

jay4321 said:
I work in the gaming industry as a slot network analyst, which really means I watch computers blink. Also I do a bunch of side jobs doing book covers and random things like that, and once again am a part-time student.
I consider myself to be an amateur slot analyst :laughing7:

Full Time USAF

Part time Motorcycle Rider Coach

Next career... Got MBA with Human Resource Management focus so I guess I'll be qualifed to ask 'You want fries with that..."

DangerousR6 said:
nathana said:
I'm a farmer and a cook, and a student when I can find the time (ha!)  :hello2:
you cook what you farm.... :icon_biggrin:

It is true! The cafe I help manage serves the food I grow. Really great system that works for everyone involved. Win-win.

Im busting my ass in exports.   I command an office of export professionals that think their ship smells good.   I got a raise in salary by 8% on my evaluation.  I'll keep this up till it runs dry.... Honestly I'm ready to play gigs at night.  I think about this gig thing a lot.   Our dollar is losing to the exchange so I'll stay.  NOTE: one of my sales guys is blazed after his lunch break  :glasses10: This is happening after the boss leaves, so I'll give him his time and MY BOSS IS A DICK!  I love my job!  My commission is great!  I feel for you cats without a job.  I know how it is.  I really do!   :party07:

I'm unemployed.  Problem is, I'm sick too.  I have a problem with chronic nausea and the resulting vomiting.  They call it cyclic vomiting syndrome.  Basically, I'm fine for a week or two, then I start to feel nausea, and soon I'm sick in bed and can't even speak for 3 or 4 days.  Sometimes I have to get IV infusions because I get so dehydrated.  When I'm down I'm useless, can't play guitar, can't read, can't watch tv.  I can't even talk to people without vomiting. 

So.... no one really wants to hire me with this.  I'm working on getting disability, but my condition is tough.  First, a lot of people don't believe how sick I really am, and theres no real way to prove it.  Of course I can throw up in their office, but it doesn't really work that way. 

I'd love to figure out a craft or something I can produce at home in my free time when I'm not sick.  I bought a ukelele kit from Stew Mac recently and hope to put that together soon.  Sometimes I have fantasies that I can build ukeleles or guitars in my basement, but thats a total long shot.  Not like anyone here makes any money putting together our guitars.

Even when I find work like painting or carpentry, I usually get sick midway through the job and it takes me so long to finish that the people are pissed off, even though they know what I am dealing with.  Can't blame them really, they just want the work done, not more excuses from me about being too sick to come in and do the job.

Its been a few years I've been dealing with this.  I've had operations and numerous medications, but nothing has really cured it. 

I don't mean to bring everyone down.  Thats just what I am dealing with on a daily basis.  I'd love to have a job again, but realistically I don't see it happening any time soon.

Before I got sick I used to manage a company that distributes tropical fish to pet stores throughout the country.  My skills are managing people, and also tropical fish biology and chemisty.  I've also worked in pharmaceutical marketing (the legal kind), and management/human resources at a financial services company.  I could pretty much do anything in an office from administrative to management to sales and marketing, but I'm too sick to even go for an interview.

The free time I have is great, but the pay sucks. 

That's gotta be a bitch. I mean, damn. Of all things. I've never even heard of CVS until just now. Must be painful, as well. Getting dehydrated, then losing all your electrolytes - you probably get all sorts of weird cramps too, I'll bet. Probably gotta make you pretty cautious about what you eat as well, not knowing if it's going to come back up. Sounds like an interesting case for "House" <grin>

Yeah, it sucks as bad as it seems it would.  I'm not crying about it nor looking for sympathy, I just want to get better.

And yes, there are all sorts of cramps, especially when I'm coming out of it.  Feels like I've been punched in the stomach repeatedly by Mike Tyson.

The strange thing is that its not triggered by food--I can eat anything I want, and it doesn't make me sick.  However, once I'm sick, I can't eat anything.  Then, for several days after when I'm coming out of it all I can do is soup, bananas, rice, and that sort of thing.

And regarding House, my family watches it all the time in case they have something similar.  I know its just a fiction tv show, but the real doctors I've seen these past few years have done very little to control it.

The only cool thing about it is that when I'm getting dehydrated, plain water tastes like the best drink you've ever imagined (like if you've been stranded in the desert for a week).  I drink water when I'm well and it just tastes like water.  But when I'm sick, I swear that water is the best substance I've ever tasted in my life.  Strange how the mind works.

This forum keeps me sane when I can't do anything else.  :)

Cagey said:
That's gotta be a bitch. I mean, damn. Of all things. I've never even heard of CVS until just now. Must be painful, as well. Getting dehydrated, then losing all your electrolytes - you probably get all sorts of weird cramps too, I'll bet. Probably gotta make you pretty cautious about what you eat as well, not knowing if it's going to come back up. Sounds like an interesting case for "House" <grin>
I've never heard of it either. It sounds very difficult to deal with; vomiting is never fun. I hope you find help in the way of effective medication or surgery. Very best wishes.
PT

I drink beer, play guitar, and smoke cigars :headbang: Sometimes I go to work too :glasses9:

well, if you want to get real technical, I don't go to school . . . I sit in a dorm rooom and procrastinate on guitar websites.  :icon_thumright:

Back