What do you do for a living?

TBurst Std said:
I thinking that in these times, it is not your education, your union alignment, your tenure, etc, but what you can deliver, and your ability to get it in front of people is that what makes a differencce.

That's the way it should be. We should all have to earn our place, not have it handed to us as a result of time wasted in an institution, membership in a gang, time in grade, favoritism, nepotism, racism, government mandate, etc. If you're good, you get better jobs. If what you do is only possible because of a rare talent, the rewards should be greater. If you have little to offer, then take what you can get by the sweat of your brow. This attitude of entitlement that seems to be so pervasive these days is getting real tiring.

AGWAN said:
Nightclub Dwight said:
RNs are in huge demand these days, and the market for them is only going to improve as our population ages. 

I've had some good ones in the hospital, and some horrible ones.  But when I worked in pharmeceuticals, we would target RNs almost as much as we'd target doctors and pharmacists.  They actually have a huge impact on patient care.  Many earn a very decent living.

If you like the field, its a good solid opportunity.  And congratulations on completing your course of study.  Even though it was "easy" for you, its still an achievement.  Good luck in the job market.

My mother is an RN, and suggested I do the CNA thing so I could Observe RN's and see if it interested me. as I have yet to work in this field I am lacking in personal opinions on it.

Also, As an Multipurpose artist/designer. work is spotty. and Creating a band T-shirt here and there just really isn't enough to live on. I may move into the Tattoo field.

but while I do... whatever it is I choose to do. I can make money taking care of people most humans try to forget. and I find some Nobility in that. regardless of who's Ass I wipe.

If you want design/art related work, the best place to get it these days is if you're working in online stuff, entertainment, or for education.  If and when the economy turns around, it will get easier for freelance people, but right now, it's far easier to get paid if you can find a gig with an advertising, theater or film company, or through a college or other type of school.  Freelancers are totally screwed at the moment, it's really hard by yourself in this recession.  Luckily, I enjoy teaching drawing and painting as much as I enjoy doing that stuff, so I actually have a steady income.

I like teaching Visual Art. but without a Degree the best work you can get is in craft stores... and when your expertise is in Animal and human anatomy... not a lot of people are at the skill level to start learning how tendons work...

My job with Lagoon(a Theme park with haunted houses) is some exposure. I've had some attention from a couple Entertainment companies. but thats all for make-up. and they've yet to ask me to work for them.

Other than that my portfolio is sorely lacking. and working 7 days a week hasn't helped build it.

And I actually love to work in advertising... but... where do you start?!

Teaching private lessons on the side can be very lucrative if you have somewhere to work.  I did that for a few people that found me through craigslist/internet ads.  I would do a lot more if I had a more classroom-like environment to teach in. 

I was lucky to have most of my freelance contracts extend through a lot of the recession, and then produced enough work that the studios didn't want to take a chance on another artist when they knew how I worked already... so I survived pretty good so far contractually but none the less I'm watching a lot of old clients dry up heavily.  Also, usually I can expect the time between art acceptance and publishing/distribution to be a certain time span and suddenly those time spans were extending out several months and in a few cases a year or so as people were fighting for funding - eventually that unstable time span filters back to the artists.  So yeah, freelance?  Really unsteady right now.  And likely will remain so for awhile.

If you know InDesign you can usually do some quick layout stuff for a portfolio that would look good to some ad companies.

I'm 42 years old and I teach English in Japan. I'm employed at a Catholic high school. My school starts at kindergarten and goes all the way through high school. I teach kindergarten, elementary, jr. high and high school.
MULLY

mullyman said:
I'm 42 years old and I teach English in Japan. I'm employed at a Catholic high school. My school starts at kindergarten and goes all the way through high school. I teach kindergarten, elementary, jr. high and high school.
MULLY
My nerves would be at their tattered ends having to deal with that range of young 'ens in a day.... :doh:

Yeah, I thought I'd want to kill myself when they told me I have to teach the little ones but in all honesty the little kids are great. The high school can be challenging.
MULLY

BS in chemical engineering, but for the past 3 years working as an electrical engineer, testing medical equipment to safety standards.

...And I coach volleyball (volunteer, so no pay)

crash said:
BS in chemical engineering, but for the past 3 years working as an electrical engineer, testing medical equipment to safety standards.

...And I coach volleyball (volunteer, so no pay)

Ah, volleyball. So many sprained fingers. :doh:

It's worth noting that I have but very little athletic ability even now, but that as a teenager (when I actually played volleyball on a few occasions), things were even worse.

Yeah, tell me about it.  I have a "permanently" dislocated left pinky.  It has been dislocated over a hundred times, so the ligaments are so loose that somtimes it will dislocate almost on its own.  At least it pops right back in and doesn't hurt at all, just feels wierd.  This makes playing guitar more challenging.  I can play fine as long as I don't have to make any stretches.  12th to 17th stretches or greater can be tricky as my pinky will start to bend backwards and I won't come back unless I bend it back to normal with my other hand.  I'll take some pictures next time. You guys will get a kick out of it.

Back