What do you do for a living?

Mathematician and software engineer for a company that develops nucleic-acid based diagnostic tools. We build both the chemistry and the instrumentation and have several hundred installations around the globe. I'm currently working on a new diagnostics machine programming the robots to pull and mix samples (urine, blood, tissue swabs, etc.)

I love it since it feeds both the analytic and creative sides of the brain.

Oh, and I play guitar every now and then...

MikeW said:
Mathematician and software engineer for a company that develops nucleic-acid based diagnostic tools. We build both the chemistry and the instrumentation and have several hundred installations around the globe. I'm currently working on a new diagnostics machine programming the robots to pull and mix samples (urine, blood, tissue swabs, etc.)

I love it since it feeds both the analytic and creative sides of the brain.

Oh, and I play guitar every now and then...

Wow fascinating. What detection method do you use? Radiation tagged substances, NMR, radio waves, chromatography or DNA analysis like for forensics? Cool stuff. And what do you play?
Cheers

Our detection methods are based on m-RNA sequence tags detected through UV or other flourescent molecules attached to the strands. We're mostly in CT-GC, HIV and other viral vector detection at the moment, but looking to branch out into other areas like cancer detection and E.Coli spoilage in food.

As far as playing goes, I'm mostly into the classics, Joe, Jimi, a bit of jazz when the mood strikes. I've been thinking about finding a cover band to jam with, but time just seems in short supply lately.

Union Electrician  IBEW-48,  outta work now for 55 weeks.  Thank the feds for running the economy into the dirt, both parties

Nightclub Dwight said:
Yeah, it sucks as bad as it seems it would.  I'm not crying about it nor looking for sympathy, I just want to get better.

And yes, there are all sorts of cramps, especially when I'm coming out of it.  Feels like I've been punched in the stomach repeatedly by Mike Tyson.

The strange thing is that its not triggered by food--I can eat anything I want, and it doesn't make me sick.  However, once I'm sick, I can't eat anything.  Then, for several days after when I'm coming out of it all I can do is soup, bananas, rice, and that sort of thing.

And regarding House, my family watches it all the time in case they have something similar.  I know its just a fiction tv show, but the real doctors I've seen these past few years have done very little to control it.

The only cool thing about it is that when I'm getting dehydrated, plain water tastes like the best drink you've ever imagined (like if you've been stranded in the desert for a week).  I drink water when I'm well and it just tastes like water.  But when I'm sick, I swear that water is the best substance I've ever tasted in my life.  Strange how the mind works.

This forum keeps me sane when I can't do anything else.  :)

Mate I am so sad to hear of your situation.........I hadn't heard of your condition til now, but I can appreciate the debilitation you must suffer during each episode... Must get pretty volatile at times when it attacks.

I have a family member who has MS and has had it diagnosed for years. With all the ad campaigns about taking up the challenge and leading  a normal life and have MS, when she was first diagnosed, people thought she was rorting things when in reality she simply couldn't do a lot of things. The public's impression of the MS virus was that it was slow virus that took a long time to cause any major debilitation and with good care the effects could be prolonged and you could lead a normal life. In fact, that virus is so random no one can predict how an individual will be affected and at what time......Sometimes it can be remissive, or it can slowly progress, or wham! one big attack can stop you walking permanently. So I understand how people are underestimating the effect of all this vomiting on your system......

Hope your periods of illness get less, and that you enjoy many days of good times... :icon_thumright:

Alfang said:
Union Electrician   IBEW-48,  outta work now for 55 weeks.  Thank the feds for running the economy into the dirt, both parties

Spent 7 months here.  Been back working since March.  In July, I was in OR.  I went by the hall to buy a T-Shirt.  I think ya'll had more on book 1 than we have members!

Alfang
IBEW 440 here
First time out of work for more than a vacation in 24 years, I agree about the economy
went from working a very steady job to window E in July
Has been a hard transition for me. I really like what I do.
Good Luck

While here on vacation, my wife and I picked up a few extra side jobs. I grabbed one consulting a B2B firm and she grabbed one on a commercial design plan. Mine pays 1/2 times again my normal payroll. Her's pays well as well. I thinking that in these times, it is not your education, your union alignment, your tenure, etc, but what you can deliver, and your ability to get it in front of people is that what makes a differencce. Actually with this, I might even be able to finish the VIP build. Currently I am $12k spend outside of norm this year (you know like roofs, plumbings, cataract surgery, etc) and had to halt the VIP build.

TBurst Std said:
While here on vacation, my wife and I picked up a few extra side jobs. I grabbed one consulting a B2B firm and she grabbed one on a commercial design plan. Mine pays 1/2 times again my normal payroll. Her's pays well as well. I thinking that in these times, it is not your education, your union alignment, your tenure, etc, but what you can deliver, and your ability to get it in front of people is that what makes a differencce. Actually with this, I might even be able to finish the VIP build. Currently I am $12k spend outside of norm this year (you know like roofs, plumbings, cataract surgery, etc) and had to halt the VIP build.
Actually with this extra work I found here, I am entertaining the purchase of a 1940's Gibson acoustic that I found here. Will be praying on it for a few days.

in a few days I will Officially be a CNA.

that class was shockingly easy.

especially when I consider its been 6 years since high school. and 5 years since I dropped out of College...

AGWAN said:
in a few days I will Officially be a CNA.

that class was shockingly easy.

especially when I consider its been 6 years since high school. and 5 years since I dropped out of College...

No offense but kind of scary to think that it is so easy when I am in and out of the hospital so often.  

I once had a phlebotomist take 20 minutes to set an IV in my arm (and most techs tell me I have great veins to hit.)  I know thats different than a CNA, but still, I'd like to think its a HARD course to pass.

Maybe you're just brilliant Agwan.  Let me continue to think that for my own peace of mind.  We both win. :eek:ccasion14:

Judging from my near perfect test scores in this class. and the fact I finished it 3 weeks early.

I imagine My own mental capacities did factor into the ease with which I completed this course.

that being said.

Phlebotomists get WAY MORE training than us. we cant do much more than take vitals and make sure you're taken care of properly.

I took this course quite serious. though. don't worry.

On the way to becoming a Psych Tech I took my CNA courses and it is such a shame that top of the class and barelly scraping by do not really differentiate themselves. Either way you're a certified ass wiper. Here CNA's are a dime a dozen. Every drop out single mom in this town is a CNA. At least they get stuck at the nursing homes. It's definately a step in the right direction and I hope there are some viable options out there. The residential treatment facility stuff has been so exciting for me. Hopefully I'm making a difference in these kid's lives. :headbang1:

pabloman said:
you're a certified ass wiper.

^ in a Nutshell.

though I've found out that males are so rare we get a bit of preferential treatment.... because they know we can lift the fat patients.

it scared me that in a classroom of 30 people. I was only one of 3 to do well.

this curriculum was half review...

if these people are High school grads... they should have some of this down pat.

Also, no way in fooking hell would I be a tech, God Bless you man. this is most likely a job to pay for the schooling I actually WANT.

Unless i like the job. then I'll look into being an RN, Or actually attempting to be a Doctor.

But I like fun a lot. so... I imagine that its not for me.

RNs are in huge demand these days, and the market for them is only going to improve as our population ages. 

I've had some good ones in the hospital, and some horrible ones.  But when I worked in pharmeceuticals, we would target RNs almost as much as we'd target doctors and pharmacists.  They actually have a huge impact on patient care.  Many earn a very decent living.

If you like the field, its a good solid opportunity.  And congratulations on completing your course of study.  Even though it was "easy" for you, its still an achievement.  Good luck in the job market.

Nightclub Dwight said:
RNs are in huge demand these days, and the market for them is only going to improve as our population ages. 

I've had some good ones in the hospital, and some horrible ones.  But when I worked in pharmeceuticals, we would target RNs almost as much as we'd target doctors and pharmacists.  They actually have a huge impact on patient care.  Many earn a very decent living.

If you like the field, its a good solid opportunity.  And congratulations on completing your course of study.  Even though it was "easy" for you, its still an achievement.  Good luck in the job market.

My mother is an RN, and suggested I do the CNA thing so I could Observe RN's and see if it interested me. as I have yet to work in this field I am lacking in personal opinions on it.

Also, As an Multipurpose artist/designer. work is spotty. and Creating a band T-shirt here and there just really isn't enough to live on. I may move into the Tattoo field.

but while I do... whatever it is I choose to do. I can make money taking care of people most humans try to forget. and I find some Nobility in that. regardless of who's Ass I wipe.

Ya I did the psych tech thing and didn't like it so much. Not with the adults anyway. I went to work at a RTF with 18-21 year old kids that had DD. That was sooo much fun. These kids were very high functioning so there was nothing even remotely CNA related. We would get beat up on a regular basis. I loved it. Chasing these guys through the fields at midnight while they're trying to escape. Dodging oven doors, trying not to get bit, trying to avoid being hit with shingles because the looney tune decided to climb the roof and chuck them at us, good times. Now I work as a behavior coach at a middle school. Thats fun but kids are brats. I also work at an emancipation home. There we hone the skills of juvenile delinquents to help them function as adults in society. Those kids are all on probation so most of them are pretty well behaved.

pabloman said:
Ya I did the psych tech thing and didn't like it so much. Not with the adults anyway. I went to work at a RTF with 18-21 year old kids that had DD. That was sooo much fun. These kids were very high functioning so there was nothing even remotely CNA related. We would get beat up on a regular basis. I loved it. Chasing these guys through the fields at midnight while they're trying to escape. Dodging oven doors, trying not to get bit, trying to avoid being hit with shingles because the looney tune decided to climb the roof and chuck them at us, good times. Now I work as a behavior coach at a middle school. Thats fun but kids are brats. I also work at an emancipation home. There we hone the skills of juvenile delinquents to help them function as adults in society. Those kids are all on probation so most of them are pretty well behaved.

Wow, aren't kids great?

But seriously, my hats off to all you guys who work in the human services field (if thats even what its called.)  It sounds like a tough job, but honestly, someone has to do it.  Even if its just wiping ass, I'm sure the person whose ass you wiped is in some way grateful, even if they don't verbalize it. Someone has to do it.

Back