What colors, paint schemes would you like to see offered by Warmoth

@ TonyFlyingSquirrel

could you maybe please explain to me what camo patterns are? I am quite new, so please forgive me for asking..... :icon_scratch:

Bye  JULIA

juwel1998 said:
@ TonyFlyingSquirrel

could you maybe please explain to me what camo patterns are? I am quite new, so please forgive me for asking..... :icon_scratch:

Bye  JULIA
Camo is short for Camouflage, like the pattern that the military uses. (flecktarn)

At the hardware store where I worked, a customer once returned a can of camo spray paint because it didn't spray a camo pattern.

He got his money refunded.

anorakDan said:
At the hardware store where I worked, a customer once returned a can of camo spray paint because it didn't spray a camo pattern.

He got his money refunded.

How I wish I could have heard that conversation...

Pardon me if this has already been been brought up, but what about clear pickguards?  They protect your guitar and show off your paint job or natural finish. I know I wood buy one.

Clear pickguards seem like a great idea for the reason you mentioned, but they're funny. They don't really pull the trick off the way you think they would. Maybe it's just me, but they seem to make a guitar look "cheap". Kinda like putting plastic covers on good furniture. It seems like a good idea and your heart's in the right place, but all you do is make the stuff unattractive, uncomfortable and subject to unusual scrutiny as well as fueling speculation about your decorative sense/taste.

Cagey said:
Clear pickguards seem like a great idea for the reason you mentioned, but they're funny. They don't really pull the trick off the way you think they would. Maybe it's just me, but they seem to make a guitar look "cheap". Kinda like putting plastic covers on good furniture. It seems like a good idea and your heart's in the right place, but all you do is make the stuff unattractive, uncomfortable and subject to unusual scrutiny as well as fueling speculation about your decorative sense/taste.

I disagree 1000%!

I am extremely happy with the one I put on my Koa top J-Bass - it's crystal clear and barely noticeable from any distance. But it was annoying having to track one down and order it third party.

If they're going to top route extraordinary pieces of wood, then they need to offer clear PG's as an option for those who want them.

Well, like I said, maybe it's just me. Clearly, you like the things, so it's obviously not a universal opinion I'm expounding upon here. I understand your reasoning and it makes perfect sense. I just don't like the look.

Have you seen one up close?

I'll be honest, I was a little hesitant to do it; I was worried it would be cloudy looking and cast reflections and look cheap. But it was a piece of wood that just could not be covered, so...

When I got the thing, at first I was a little disappointed - until I realized it had protective film on both sides. :doh: Took the film off and it was as clear as optical glass. Really much better quality than I ever expected.

I like clear and mirror pickguards, they have not been used to death like white, black & tortoise. Clear pickguards can make a figured top-rear rout body very classy and traditional looking.

I know Warmoth is mostly following Fender but I'd love to see more options in their pickguard section. They are making high quality pickguards, new options will only bring more sales.

Attachments

• 11112209315249f.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 564
  • Shell - Pearl Paua.jpg
    Shell - Pearl Paua.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 557
  • Fender57GoldAnod.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 512
drewfx said:
Have you seen one up close?

Of course. Whaddaya think, I'm just making this stuff up or trying to be contrary for its own sake?

I can imagine that it's possible to do in such a way as to be attractive. Lord knows I never thought Teles were attractive before I started hanging around here.

On a J, it's not an apples and apples comparison.  It literally is just a pickguard.  Strats and P Basses, control cavities that are covered up are now exposed.  Solder joints, ungrainfilled cavities, and wire slack aren't things I want to see, and we've already seen Warmoth condones buff throughs.

Trans white and this:

Tele_Close-332x447.png

Which I know you've done in transparent colors but have never seen done in metallic.

Needs a Turbo Deluxe Floyd said:
On a J, it's not an apples and apples comparison.  It literally is just a pickguard.  Strats and P Basses, control cavities that are covered up are now exposed.  Solder joints, ungrainfilled cavities, and wire slack aren't things I want to see, and we've already seen Warmoth condones buff throughs.

Not if you order strat & P bass bodies rear routed. I don't think anyone who wants a vintage correct instrument will order a clear pickguard. For all the others... the sky is the limit! A clear pickguard will make a strat looking more strat without hiding a figured top or a beautiful color.

what i was gettin at, was having a rear routed body, with an awesome natural finish, or paintjob on it, and not wanting to cover it up with a solid color pickguard. When i get around to ordering my custom strat from warmoth, i want it to have a pickguard, but i want to show off the awesome cherry burst.  Also, i thnk pickguards should be available no matter what rout you have, front or back, so you can protect your guitar and such.

I'm not a huge fan of clear pickguards but they do seem to make sense for some rear-routed Warmoths with those fancy quilt tops and so on. Ibanez floral pattern Jems usually had them and they worked.

4LQJPqtliWnxknz.jpg

I second (or third, or whatever) the flip-flop/chameleon colours. Combinations of teal, blue, purple and pink are my favourites.

Some refinements/off-shoots of current finishes would be nice, such as:

Gibson Skyburst (a very bright blue burst done over solid white, though I've seen a couple done which were sprayed over a bright silver base instead which was very pretty):
130286942841-2.jpg

3666192777_004234f17d.jpg

Gibson aged/green tiger (similar to tiger's eye but with no burst and more wear to the black grain, basically flame maple dyed black, rubbed back and sprayed over with amber)
Gibson_Les_Paul_Joe_Perry.jpg

Carvin dragon burst (green-blue rather than yellow-blue; they also do a blue and purple version as a special order, which I'm very fond of)
42_Porkchop_day_1.jpg

Fender Sienna Burst (it's actually not quite as red as this and the transition from the clear middle to the burst edge is a bit softer, but it's hard to find photos of it that show that and that aren't gigantic files)
amstssrnf.jpg

I second the purple/black burst that was posted earlier in this thread (can you guess I like purple?)

And general refinements to the service: I think the extra wide burst over option should be in the body builder (plus better example pictures of what the standard and wider burst-overs are), as should a clean line/different colour back&sides option for every finish, not just dyed tops and the Goldtop finish (so, as a random example, you could order an olympic white top with a clear back). I also think that burst-over should be available with transparent colours as well as dyes (there's been enough trans red/black burst over finishes turn up in the showcase, it must be popular enough).

The neck tint needs to be much more natural. Of all my Warmoth orders the one and only complaint I've had is that the 'vintage' tinted neck came out pretty much bright orange. Compare that to the Fender tint which is much more subtle and definitely more brown than orange.

Also, the satin nitro you're using for neck finishes at the moment rubs gloss (and subsequently, sticky-feeling) very quickly. Had that on three necks now, they've basically become gloss finishes within a months' use. Meanwhile the nitro finishes I have on four other guitars have stayed matte and very slick-feeling for years. I would suggest you look into getting hold of a better product for these satin neck finishes. On my three I've just sanded the Warmoth finish back and resprayed them with cans of light tint nitro from a local guy and this has produced a much slicker-feeling and better-looking finish than the Warmoth one.

Back