What would you all do for options that are not offered

Patrick from Davis

OK, I have several off center ideas that I have been kicking around.  One I have been thinking more about is the Jazzblaster.  So take the pickups from a Tele Custom and put them on a Jazzmaster, there you go.  I called Warmoth on a fact finding mission, and they don't offer that.  Harumph.  Second would be a pickguard routed that way as well, no dice.  And finally I was curious about a Surf Green guitar in a Mary Kaye fashion, denied.

0 for 3.  Crud.  I guess I was given false hopes after seeing the sort of finish that DbU was able to get out of the shop.  Now, I am wondering what to do to figure out how to build this thing.

As far as doing it myself, I don't have a router, or any experience with one.  Of course I have pals that have them, but it isn't something I really wanted attempt.  I guess it is frustrating to see the route in the Tele Custom/Deluxe and not for anything else.  The finish?  I have done finish work before, and I don't really enjoy it much.  Also I would expect I'd have to dilute the color down to get the semi opaque nature I wanted.  If I were to go the Lacquer/Reranch route I would be stuck with rattle cans.  This makes things a bit tougher to dilute.  If some one knows of a water based urethane source of that color, I'm all ears, I have a friend with a gun that he will only use with that.  And then the last thing is the pick guard.  I could get one without the pickups routed, and see if I could get some work done on it or do it myself.  But, I have never worked with the material, and 50 bucks a non pickup routed guard try does not really fill me with enthusiasm to jump right in on cutting it up.  So that would leave finding someone to do it if I decide that I couldn't do it with the tools at hand.

So, when faced with the fact that your idea is not an option from the source, what would you all do?  Also, How in the hell did DbU get that thing made?  I guess I am venting a little bit here after going oh for three, but it does seem a little weird to have the ideas denied and see that beast come out of the shop.
Patrick

sounds like you've hit the place where working with a custom builder makes sense. the difficult part is finding a builder who has the desire to make custom one-off designs at a quality level and price that's attractive to your budget. due to the added time needed to craft a body "by hand" (i.e. not roughed by CNC) I'm guessin that you're looking at a fair chunk more than what you'd spend on a W crafted body

the second part of your post is going to be more difficult - finding a finishing shop that is willing/able to apply your custom finish desire at a quality level and cost you can afford.

in many cases the custom builder is willing/able to work the exchange with the custom finishing shop (if they don't offer finishing services within their own shop) ... but this usually comes at an added cost over doing the leg work yourself. I'm guessing that the added cost is about the same as what you'd spend in the additional shipping to/from the finishing shop

I'm not fishing for business with my post here, as this is not something I have time to even give consideration to at the moment

all the best,

R

I imagine you could get a jazzmaster without routings and just find a luthier willing to route what you want. The pickguard is the same story.

The finish, idk what to tell you. Maybe you could talk to Tonar?

Yeah, Tonar gave me some hints already.  I know it is do-able, just have to decide on what path.  I would make the guides for the pick up routes as well.  But without a drill press, my attempts at things like this tend to be, uh, crapola.
Patrick

I'd like to see the following:

1. Binding offered on 24-fret necks.  There's no reason why this isn't even an option right now.

2. Some more attractive headstock options that look good with "extreme" designed guitars.

3. Routing for flush-mounted, floating tremolos, if this isn't already available.

4. I know this one is probably far from feasible, but current designs offered in neck-through designs as well.  I'd love to have a neck-through Star.

USA Custom Guitars makes the Jazzmaster/tele hybrid, so that might be an option for you.  It seems the Jazzmaster/tele thing has been pretty big for the past year ever since the Fender Custom Shop made a batch and featured them in ads in a bunch of guitar magazines.  I've seen other people build this type of guitar from other "parts" companies and I'm surprised Warmoth hasn't offered this combination yet.

You can buy a jmaster body with no routes and have someone else route it, pickguardian.com  will make any pickguard you want, and tonar can do any finish you want - Warmoth offers a ton of options, and you can get what they won't do elsewhere pretty easily - unless you need a true custom body shape or custom hardware machined to spec, you really can do whatever you want to. It just costs more, of course.
Did Warmoth really say they would not route a jmaster body for WR buckers for any price? You called them up and were denied? Surprising.

On paper, the project seems like an odd one that was not unreasonable.  Practically, I understand it might not work out that way.  The finish I didn't have high hopes for, but I asked to be sure.  I understand that there are things that they don't offer, for various reasons.  Number one, it probably isn't worth it to spend the time on it.  I get that the bodies are done via a programming, and thought that the routes would be a plugin-able option.  I guess not.  The pickgaurd I can see that being a pain if it is not a modular setup for cutting it out.  The finish was something I have been toying with for a while, along with a Sonic Blue and a Fiesta Red Mary Kaye variant.  Something about it strikes a chord in my head.

I was also a bit pissed at myself for not considering that it wasn't possible.  I like the quality that Warmoth offers, and tend to stick to their product because of the good product.  But then sometimes you have to think outside of the box.

Still, I am glad I asked.  At least there is another place from me to look up pick guards at from it.  I am still hoping the Paint Guys will look at this and think it is a marvelous idea.  I know the odds are not in my favor there, but hey...
Patrick

Back