What do you like/dislike about your Warmoth, and what would you change?

Torment Leaves Scars said:
Well, if I have a new block installed, I guess it would the time to find out if there are already shims in there.

BTW, your Strat is absolutely AMAZING.  Dare I even ask how much cash you've tied up into it?   :help:

Thank you very much!

I'll just say: thousands, and leave it at that. Its always been about love, not money. :)

If thats not a good enough answer for you, I've considered what I'd make another one for if someone
begged and paid me to do it. We (the forum) have great fun seeing various Warmoth "guitars" for sale or auction on
ebay where we get into lively debates about what kind of crack the seller/art major is smoking.  :laughing7:  Mostly because
we know what kind of base costs go into a quality custom, what we know that we can make from whats out there, etc.

I personally would never sell my (which is funny, as I don't really think of it as 'mine', but rather, Dave's) guitar unless
it was TO Dave, then I've often debated what I would ask for it - and more than likely would just give it to him. But
I digress.

IF someone begged and paid me to build another one, base price would probably be about $6000.00 +/- depending
on options. Am I smoking crack? Probably. But, at least I could safely say the crack I'm smoking is the only one
of its kind
in the world.

:rock-on:

ORCRiST

My #1 Tele..
Houses the oldest pair of pickups I have, and allows me to use my old sound from the 70s...!
The 24.75" conversion scale AND the 10-16" compound radius are very nice to play.
The Swamp Ash Body is a good heavy piece of plank, and the Butterscotch Blonde finish is great (Thx Warmoth).
Gold hardware makes it look classy...I even have a gold ashtray which was bloody hard to locate.
Great tone and even a sense of mojo about it!

Dislikes:
I made a mistake installing the rear ferrules and ended up removing part of the finish around the ferrules. Lesson learnt the hard way!
Earvanna nut. I'm not that fussed with it, and I do detect a slight pitch change (or is it my crappy ears?) between this guitar and other guitars when both are tuned up and played A/B.......I am concerned I might not be able to use this guitar with others in a recording..... we'll see.
Gold Hardware means I have to wipe it down and clean it more.......lesson learnt.
Front routed control cavity isn't very big!!!!!
The 22 fret overhang means the pickguard removal, particularly with a humbucker in the neck position, means the neck plate has to be loosened......Another lesson learnt, maybe go a 21 fret version in future if doing a Tele?

My only complaints are the neck joints and overly sharp fretboard edges (Although I've slowly become used to this and doesn't bother me as bad)

Kyler (JamesL) said:
My only complaints are the neck joints and overly sharp fretboard edges (Although I've slowly become used to this and doesn't bother me as bad)

Wow, can't say I had that issue with mine.  I wonder if anyone else has.  I had issues with my paint, yet it doesn't seem to be the norm.

What type of climate do you live in, because this can certainly be climate-related.  I've noticed changes like this on some of my guitars, depending on the climate.

In early January, I got a Fender J-Bass from my wife as a late Xmas gift, and the ends of the frets were slightly "edgy."  When I had a minor setup done on it, I was told, "I'd leave it alone, because it's not so bad that it's a problem.  You're more than likely going to see changes, depending on the climate."  Oddly enough, I'm not experiencing that same issue anymore.

I've not had any issues with anything I've bought from Warmoth, and I've done 4 bodies/necks just in the last year. Everything has always been either perfect, or as expected. And when I say "as expected", I mean I expect to have to dress up or adjust the nut/frets on necks. There's just no way for them to do that at the factory. Although, the attention my necks have needed has been minimal. Some minor fret dressing and nut slot depth adjustment has been it. All body/neck finish work has been glorious; couldn't ask for better. In fact, I'm always surprised at how perfect those are.

So, I wouldn't change a thing. Of course, lower prices would always be nice, but I don't begrudge them what they charge as is. I couldn't get better fabrication accuracy or finish quality anywhere else for any less. Lower prices would just mean I'd have a bigger collection, that's all <grin>

swarfrat said:
Dislike -
It's still missing a neck!

Oh, but that's one of those silly just-for-looks things anyways.  :laughing7:

- I wish I had known about the glory of raw necks and stainless steel frets when I built my LP.  I really wanted a binding though, so I don't know if I would have gotten them anyways. 
- My LP hits my ribs sometimes... I wish they offered tummy cuts on LPs for this reason.
- Both my Warmoths have a couple of buzzy spots.  Nothing too horrible, but I would like to get a pro fret dressing at some point. 

Other than that, I love them.  I love the LP, but I play the Strat more because it's just a more practical guitar.  The tone blows people away though, really nice sound from both axes. 

hannaugh said:
I love the LP, but I play the Strat more because it's just a more practical guitar.  The tone blows people away though, really nice sound from both axes. 

I sold my last LP after 6 months for that very reason. Sounded great, looked like a million bucks, but it just wasn't a practical guitar (for me). Too uncomfortable, and too much of a one-trick pony. I'd still like to own one, since they're such iconic instruments and the one trick they do is a good trick, but it'll always be trade-bait.

I wouldn't call mine a one-trick-pony, but it probably greatly depends on what pickups and wiring you have.  Sound-wise, mine is very versatile.  I have an SD Jazz and Alternative 8 pickup combo.  I also have the Jimmy Page wiring, so I can split the coils and get out-of-phase and in-series tones out of it as well. 

The only big issue is that it isn't as comfy as the Strat.  If I were to compare the two sound-wise, the LP is slightly less clear-toned.  Lately I have been playing a lot of very clean toned, almost acoustic music, so I use my Strat mostly for that because Ken's pickups are so excellent for that organic sound.  But as soon as I'm playing something other than an acoustic tone, either one is great.  Different, but both great. 

My orange Telecaster? I did a terrible job of wiring the thing up. That's an easy fix, but it sounds fine with all knobs rolled up to 10, so it's hard to get the motivation to take it back apart again. Also it has a strange bridge pickup with large pole pieces, so I'm constantly hitting the strings against the pole pieces when I'm palm muting and making a clicking sound.

And with my Telecaster Deluxe? As I was telling Max earlier, I'm just not sure if I'm a fan of the Super Distortion in the bridge. I think one day I'll sub in some wide range pickups. Otherwise I love that thing.

hannaugh said:
swarfrat said:
Dislike -
It's still missing a neck!

Oh, but that's one of those silly just-for-looks things anyways.  :laughing7:

- I wish I had known about the glory of raw necks and stainless steel frets when I built my LP.  I really wanted a binding though, so I don't know if I would have gotten them anyways. 
- My LP hits my ribs sometimes... I wish they offered tummy cuts on LPs for this reason.
- Both my Warmoths have a couple of buzzy spots.  Nothing too horrible, but I would like to get a pro fret dressing at some point. 

Other than that, I love them.  I love the LP, but I play the Strat more because it's just a more practical guitar.  The tone blows people away though, really nice sound from both axes. 

Proud to say I don't have any buzzing issues from mine!  I did, but later found that a slight bit of grease under the string tree solved the issue.  I still can't figure out how that solved the issues, but, it did.  Good thinking on the part of the guy who worked at one of the local music stores!  He also adjusted the truss rod.  These quick little things solved the issue!

The best thing about my Warmoth Strat is the neck. The compound radius and stainless frets make every other guitar I play feel like an old fence post with barbed wire for frets.

Only complaint I have is that I wish it had the vintage 6 hole trem.

Then again, it's hard to find things to complain about with a Strat.

They do make some damn nice necks, don't they? Especially with the SS frets.

As for the 6 hole vibrato bridge, you're better off without it. It's a mechanically inferior design. Not as bad as some of the vintage hardware out there, but certainly not as good as the modern two-point units.

Cagey said:
They do make some damn nice necks, don't they? Especially with the SS frets.

As for the 6 hole vibrato bridge, you're better off without it. It's a mechanically inferior design. Not as bad as some of the vintage hardware out there, but certainly not as good as the modern two-point units.

Cagey, I know you're such a fan, you forgot your patented comment: "It needs a Floyd."  Everything is mechanically inferior to a Floyd.  :evil4:

ORC

(P.s. Its all you D!)

You've never heard me say anything needs a Floyd, because I don't believe anything does. You're thinking of DangerousR6. I'm the Wilkinson shill <grin>

I love the profile, finish and feel to my W neck.  If I were to change anything now, I would go with an exotic wood.
The Mahogany with an Ebony board plays so so sweet.  Schaller lockers & Graph Tech tusq xl nut are perfect.
Never again will I go without SS frets.

Cagey said:
You've never heard me say anything needs a Floyd, because I don't believe anything does. You're thinking of DangerousR6. I'm the Wilkinson shill <grin>

No, remember...? Doug stole it from you.

I've read in particular you hate anything Wilki-related and were an adamant defender and Champion of Floyd Rose, personally.

I read it on the internet, so I know its true.  :toothy12:

ORCRiST said:
I've read in particular you hate anything Wilki-related and were an adamant defender and Champion of Floyd Rose, personally.

I've seen this too. I think it was in that thread you posted along with your music room full of your BC Rich's. I definitely remember, I'll see if I can find a link...

Back