Seraph-inspired thinline/semi-hollow

Nicely done, I applaud you diligence with the hand carving. But me, I'd have spent $40 on a grinder.... :toothy12:
63632_W21.jpg

DangerousR6 said:
Nicely done, I applaud you diligence with the hand carving. But me, I'd have spent $40 on a grinder.... :toothy12:

LOL! I thought about it once or twice... I think my damn gouge set me back more than that $40!

But this way I get more bragging rights... hopefully.  :toothy12:

ragamuffin said:
DangerousR6 said:

LOL! I thought about it once or twice... I think my damn gouge set me back more than that $40!

But this way I get more bragging rights... hopefully.  :toothy12:
:icon_thumright:...Hand carved is a good bragging right...

Zebra said:
This thread is incredibly inspiring...I need some chisels!

Glad I can be of inspiration! I've found that carving a top is a lot of work but very rewarding

Forstner-ed and routed out the body chambering. For some reason my router bit slipped down a bit and went a bit deeper than I meant it to in some areas. It's not pretty/perfect, but hey, no one is going to see it.

xm2OLRL.jpg

VjWJvXX.jpg

So I've decided... I flipping hate routers!  :tard:

I planned out a nice back plate and cavity route template and even made a nice cover out of bubinga for it.

HPXukkh.jpg

Then I went to route the cavity, and somehow my template slipped (despite double stick tape and being clamped to the body) and fucked things up.

bmf1xIB.jpg

It could definitely be worse, but I'm really disheartened. I guess I'll have to can redesign a bigger cavity cover and recess template... But I just keep making mistakes on this build! Ugh.

oooo crud - that's a bad one.

But as Doug says, mistakes are how we learn.  In my experience though I much prefer to learn from others mistakes :)

Mayfly said:
...In my experience though I much prefer to learn from others mistakes :)

That's definitely my preference too.

It's 'interesting' what can happen with a router in the 2 seconds you're thinking 'that doesn't feel right'. Just remember: if you don't end up in the emergency room, it aint that bad, just an opportunity for some creativity. Make a funky-shaped cover and everybody will think you have some way cool electrickery hiding in there.

Me personally, I'd clean up the goof areas, make it look more intentional, and just change the shape of the cover plate to match. Keep 'em guessing about why the strange shape.... :laughing7:

Bro that "mistake" rules!!1

U gotta lean into stuff like that. don't reshape the control cav, make a new cover to match that funky cold Medina! sure itll still kinda look like prs 245 on the front but then u flip it over and say "ain't no prs gonna have this control cav shape!" and then wink (like a blink but on purpose and with only 1 eye)

Roughed the f-hole today! (insert f-hole joke here)

I drilled out the ends (I should have used a slightly bigger bit), and cut it out with a fret saw.  At first I was worried; I wasn't getting anywhere. But then I realized I was using a fine metal cutting blade so I switched to a toothy-er one and it wasn't so bad.

Tomorrow I'm going to borrow a friends dremmel tool to clean it up. Depending on how it comes out I'll decide if the final top will get an f-hole or not.

ZYwJFgV.jpg

Also I received some swanky ebony wood parts from David King/DKnob in the mail\

vQ0i9ip.jpg

Looks really good!  But I feel you pain when it comes to the router beast, they can be a terror.  Lord knows I knocked enough chunks out of that Sapele body I was working on.  Thank goodness for the old "titebond and Sapele dust" trick.  But like Fat Pete said, as long as you keep all your phalanges intact and there's no blood involved.. you've had a good day. 

Thanks guys!

Yes phalanges are numero uno importante and I'm lucky that all I've damaged is wood!  :cool01:

ragamuffin said:
Roughed the f-hole today! (insert f-hole joke here)

I drilled out the ends (I should have used a slightly bigger bit), and cut it out with a fret saw.  At first I was worried; I wasn't getting anywhere. But then I realized I was using a fine metal cutting blade so I switched to a toothy-er one and it wasn't so bad.

Tomorrow I'm going to borrow a friends dremmel tool to clean it up. Depending on how it comes out I'll decide if the final top will get an f-hole or not.

ZYwJFgV.jpg

Also I received some swanky ebony wood parts from David King/DKnob in the mail\

vQ0i9ip.jpg

Nice.    that is not easy to do on an angled surface.

So I found the culprit of my router bit slippage: my 1/4" collet was cracked on three sides...

xRl7oOT.jpg

Back