Roadhouse Build thread

Mayfly said:
You need more screws on the pickguard though...  :)
xRsH0A2.png

Got it covered. :icon_biggrin:

Well, that's a look, I guess...  If it took Hartley Peavey all of 19 screws to get the job done (I counted), do you think twice as many will really be enough?

The 1-ply gloss black pickguard material is ordered and will be here in a couple days. I also put on another coat of gloss Wipe-on Poly. That's 3 now on top of the Wudtone clear so far. It's starting to look pretty good. Actually, that's 2. I grabbed the wrong can for the first coat and put a layer of satin on it. :tard: After a good look at it in satin, I decided against that because it didn't properly show the chatoyance.

Another coat got the finish the way I want. Glossier than Wudtone gloss will provide but with the grain still not filled completely. I took a piece of 20# typing paper and burnished it slightly while the poly still isn't completely cured to smooth it to the feel. Looks great!

Many thanks to Tonar for the trick of running a screw into the neck hole with a toothpick to hold the paint bar on. That little bit of information really worked great. :icon_thumright:

Now the hardest part of all: waiting for it to cure before starting any assembly.

zMjEDBS.png

Thank you. In person, the mahogany really looks alive.

It's going to be a bear to wait for a couple weeks. I can start on the pickguard, though. The black material just arrived. On a Sunday, no less!

Thanks. I was fortunate enough to get that piece from Ian, our very own Bagman67, here on the forum.

Rgand said:
Thanks. I was fortunate enough to get that piece from Ian, our very own Bagman67, here on the forum.

I'm so glad to see that swerve come to life.  Your craftsmanship is a gift.  I'm glad I didn't just throw that blank on ebay, never to be seen again - instead, it's having a real life adventure I can observe!

Bagman67 said:
I'm so glad to see that swerve come to life.  Your craftsmanship is a gift.  I'm glad I didn't just throw that blank on ebay, never to be seen again - instead, it's having a real life adventure I can observe!
Much appreciated, Ian. It would be hard to find a finer grain pattern for a body like this. I'm glad you mentioned it when this was in the planning stages.

So this morning I had some time so I decided to start making the pickguard. The finish will get polished out soon and I'll need it.

I started by making a new pattern with the changes I had in mind. Also located mounting screws and various hole centers for controls in case I want to use them, now or on a future one.
KIX7o9n.jpg

Next I stuck the pickguard material to it and cut it out on the bandsaw. I then put the appropriate cutter in the router table and started in. When I got down by the tip, I noticed I had neglected to cut it close enough in the last curve. I didn't want to stop and go back to the bandsaw and make another mess (I had already cleaned up around it twice today). I figured I could freehand that area closer then cut along the pattern and finish up.

WhrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrGRAB! ???
M4OXsBj.jpg

I guess I'll start another pickguard when I come back to it but I was out of time today. At least I already have the material to do another one. I'll keep the goofed up one for such time as I might want to make a separate control plate from stainless. At least I'm further along than I was this morning.

That's why I call it "The Routerbeast".

I've been playing with routers for 100 years, and the damn things still scare me. You can do one helluva lotta damage in a real hurry. Very impressive messes they make, though. Gotta love that  :laughing7:

I made a slight adjustment to the pattern (again) and stuck the pickguard material on it. I started cutting it out on the bandsaw and checked a small piece to make sure I had the right side up. When I peeled the protective film back, it showed it was on correctly but the material was matte black. Damn. I stopped work, came inside and ordered a sheet of gloss black. It'll be here Saturday. I guess I'll have a use for the matte stuff some day but not on this project. It's back in the drawer, now.

Back