Roadhouse Build thread

Fat Pete said:
This whole thing is a real shame for us guitar 'assemblers', Robert; our quest has been ended by your selfishness. You built the perfect guitar. What are we supposed to do now?

:icon_biggrin:

You mean of course by his and yours selfishness?
As far as I’m concerned, you two have made the most spectacular guitars here that I’ve seen. Anything I make will always just be a pale imitation of a ”cool guitar” like yours :icon_jokercolor:

I have to agree, Rgand and FatPete, kick it up a notch.  Thanks to them, my game on my current build is another level up.  Thanks guys (and also the rest of the Warmoth community)

Fat Pete said:
This whole thing is a real shame for us guitar 'assemblers', Robert; our quest has been ended by your selfishness. You built the perfect guitar. What are we supposed to do now?
LOL, Pete. :laughing11:

Thanks.

Everything about this build is excellent! And the way that gorgeous piece of wood curves with the body really sets things off  :eek:ccasion14:

Thank you, Logrinn, Rick, Ragamuffin. It's compliments like these that make all this worthwhile.

The L-500 is a 'bucker and I thought the L-290 was a noiseless pickup. Maybe not. Even though long runs were with sheilded wire, I had some single coil sounding hum in the guitar. Not enough to really get me down but though to bug me. Confident that everything was grounded properly, I figured this was a good time to put the shielding issue to bed, or at least to my own satisfaction.

Friday I pulled the whole guitar apart and started sticking copper tape in the pickup and control cavities. Spare moments over the last few days got most of the job done. This morning I put the last few pieces in and re-assembled it. I strung it up and plugged it in. Crickets. Stand back 200 feet! This thing is totally silent with the volume all the way up. I am sold on copper sheilding tape as of today. It's a solid day of crossing-your-eyes boredom but well worth it, in my opinion.

The vibrato springs are adjusted and the nut is cut but the string height still needs to be set and I'm out of time today. It won't hurt for the strings/vibrato pads to settle in for a day or two prior to messing with it any more.

Also, I ordered some black tuner buttons to tie it all together. Photos after they arrive and are installed.

The tuner buttons arrived. The photo doesn't look much different but in person, it's significant.

U1HUPkX.jpg

2Yi2ES0.jpg

Between the body, the pickguard, and the headstock, there are so many curves going on there - and each of them is perfect, and they all fit together.  Great job!

Thank you, ghotiphry, Zebra. Your encouragement is fuel for the next build.

Everyone has a favorite build. I think this one is now mine.

Good choice of buttons. It ties things together. And reminds me I have some tuners with similar buttons to fit...

Thanks Stratamania, Logrinn. In my opinion, tuner buttons can make a huge difference. They did for this one. I like the choices Hipshot has available.

Thanks for that link, ghotiphry. Those are some very cool knobs. I've bookmarked them for future reference. Besides looking good, they'd be really useful on push/pull pots.

OH, yeah. I almost forgot. The Roadhouse was designed to fit in a standard rectangular Strat case.

KWjooY2.jpg

Thanks, Ian. I got tired of trying to find a case for the Telerauder. When you can't find a case to fit a guitar, you make a guitar to fit a case.

I like this photo because it properly shows that magnificent piece of mahogany you so generously offered up. The photo does make the carpet look 500 years old, though. :laughing11:

I'll never understand why my phone only makes one part of a picture look correct and the rest out of whack. This time it chose the guitar.

Rgand said:
Thanks Stratamania, Logrinn. In my opinion, tuner buttons can make a huge difference. They did for this one. I like the choices Hipshot has available.
Most definitely! Just a simple thing, like changing the tuner buttons, can can be a significant improvement in the aesthetics. And if the guitar's already stunning,......
Rgand said:
OH, yeah. I almost forgot. The Roadhouse was designed to fit in a standard rectangular Strat case.
Good looking out! As you found out last time, finding a good fit for an odd size/shape is not fun. I'm waiting for my second "Mooncaster" case. First one will work, but it's huge, would require loads of extra foam to keep it from moving all over the place, and it weighs like 15 pounds! Hoping the next one is a little more, "fitting".

If I might ask, what's the total width of the lower bout?

Back