Resolution 2024

I probably will, I like a yellow but I'm trying to get the wife's buy-in and she says black

A lot took place today, I got another set of porter pickups(, modern jazzmaster, ) and I can assure you that they will not fit in a Charlie christian route without a little modification. Great news is that I got a jazzmaster body off the sale and now I have a use for the pickups. Oh, and I changed the title of the thread to reflect the name of this build... Resolution 20240111_214344.gif
Front0back

Using tinted shellac,, the back keeps getting darker.

Attachments

• 20240113_210204_1.gif
    20240113_210204_1.gif
    530.3 KB · Views: 10
I already have the neck and bridge pickups, do not have a Charlie christian pickup. Am thinking about the wiring harness and thinking I can get a 3 pickup harness with 5 way switch and hook the neck pickup to the middle then I can use it as a tele, neck/ neck and bridge/ bridge (while I only have 2 pickup) and when I can buy a cc then use the whole harness.

Thinking future , when i do get a cc , hook it up to the neck position on the 5way . This would give me the following;
Bridge/ bridge and neck/ neck/ neck and middle/ middle.

Why? Because I want the charlie christian to be used alone and have a regular tele, I would not have middle and bridge or all3 pickups. Or doing all that I mentioned with a 7way . Am I wrong?

I already have the neck and bridge pickups, do not have a Charlie christian pickup. Am thinking about the wiring harness and thinking I can get a 3 pickup harness with 5 way switch and hook the neck pickup to the middle then I can use it as a tele, neck/ neck and bridge/ bridge (while I only have 2 pickup) and when I can buy a cc then use the whole harness.

Thinking future , when i do get a cc , hook it up to the neck position on the 5way . This would give me the following;

Why? Because I want the charlie christian to be used alone and have a regular tele, I would not have middle and bridge or all3 pickups. Or doing all that I mentioned with a 7way . Am I wrong?
If you want all the pickup combos you could do a five way switch plus a “neck on” toggle that would use a push-pull or mini toggle to add neck pickup signal to any position of the 5 way switch.
Or a 7 way would probably work, but wiring those goes over my head

You need a 5 way Super switch. A standard 5 way won't work for that.

To clarify, my thoughts were to purchase a nashville telecaster wiring harness and use it with just 2 pickups. If I hook either the neck or bridge pickup wires into the location marked for middle pickup, then I could use the guitar as a tele until I buy a Charlie christian, that may be 2 years from now, the advantages would be that wiring and middle route would already be present, pre updated, and meanwhile would just have access to neck, neck and bridge, bridge, and would not use the rest of the options that the harness has.

To further my reasoning, I am at the point of buying a harness and the debate is while I just have 2 pickups, do I buy a temporary standard tele harness, or a nashville pickup harness . One way I buy 2 harness or 1

I know my rambling is incoherent and I apologize for not communicating more better. ;)

Whatever the reasoning, the stated objective - "Bridge/ bridge and neck/ neck/ neck and middle/ middle." cannot be done with a standard five way switch, a super switch is needed.

Getting closer, pickguard and harness are in, still got some screws to drill and knobs to buy, plugged it in and sound came out. The harness has a 3way switch with bridge and neck to volume 1, middle pickup goes to volume 2, they share a common tone. T9 bridge and neck, a90 middle 20240220_135258.jpg

Last edited:
I really like this setup, 7way nashville, but unique way to get there. 2 volume, 1 tone; Bridge and neck are wired through a 3way switch gives neck, neck Bridge, bridge, regular tele wiring. The middle pickup bypass the 3way and goes straight to 2nd volume. Volume 1 can be turned down to only use middle pickup or can be blended with any combination. The only thing I can think missing is a push pull on 2nd volume to reverse phase the middle and I am good without that option.Screenshot_20240303_102204_Gmail.jpg

Need more details and pics of the wiring system. Do they provide a diagram? Looks easy to use.

No diagram, I told him what I wanted and he done it. I was planning on a Charlie christian in the middle and was going to use it as a standalone but ended up getting a half price deal on the porter a90s, I basically have 3 p90s .

Back