White Korina jazzmaster

I ordered the warmoth tremolo and bridge. And now I am thinking of ways to wire, with the amount of cavity space, the only limitation is porter modern pickups. Any crazy ideas ? Wisdom ? Start off I need a volume pot and tone pot,...

I am thinking about soldering this one myself , I now have plenty of guitars to where I can afford to dither with this one. My thoughts/ inquire is what parts would I use to have 1 volume, 1 tone, and one balance... NO switch... I have the porter modern jazzmaster pickups so I imagine 250k or 300k volume and tone pot. Would I wire the pickups to the balance 1st, then volume and tone and what potentiometer would be used for the balance pot? I tried to make one using ai but I don't know how ai works

250k pots ought to be fine. For a wiring diagram, do a search for Jazz Bass wiring that gives you two individual volumes and one tone. You can balance between the pickups with the individual volumes. Personally, I don't really see that a blend pot achieves very much in comparison with a two pickup set up.

Last edited:
I am thinking about soldering this one myself , I now have plenty of guitars to where I can afford to dither with this one. My thoughts/ inquire is what parts would I use to have 1 volume, 1 tone, and one balance... NO switch... I have the porter modern jazzmaster pickups so I imagine 250k or 300k volume and tone pot. Would I wire the pickups to the balance 1st, then volume and tone and what potentiometer would be used for the balance pot? I tried to make one using ai but I don't know how ai works
I would email Porter and ask what pots they recommend. Traditionally jazzmasters have 1meg volume and tone pots, but that makes them really bright, especially without the rhythm circuit stuff.
Yes, balance/blend would be first as it's basically your "switch" then volume and tone. Not sure what pot you need though.
I don't think ai is up to making working wiring diagrams yet.

I think this is basically what you want (but on a jazz bass). Looks like a blend pot is a specialized pot.
WDUSS2102__63042.jpg

250k pots ought to be fine. For a wiring diagram, do a search for Jazz Bass wiring that gives you two individual volumes and one tone. You can balance between the pickups with the individual volumes. Personally, I don't really see that a blend pot achieves very much in comparison with a two pickup set up.
The reason I am wanting to go with a blender or balance pot is to just have 1 volume . I guess there is no good reason for not using a 3way switch, but I don't really see why I would need one with a balance between the 2 pickups. And apparently that is how the j bass is wired. So I ask, would a j bass wiring harness work on a jazzmaster if I drill my own holes in the jazzmaster pickguard? Same components, different spacing?

The reason I am wanting to go with a blender or balance pot is to just have 1 volume . I guess there is no good reason for not using a 3way switch, but I don't really see why I would need one with a balance between the 2 pickups. And apparently that is how the j bass is wired. So I ask, would a j bass wiring harness work on a jazzmaster if I drill my own holes in the jazzmaster pickguard? Same components, different spacing?

A J Bass more normally has 2 volumes and one tone. You may be able to find a 1 Volume, 1 Blend & 1 tone version. Either way they do not have a switch and you can blend the pickups with either version.

There is no reason why this wiring with suitable pot and cap values would not work in a Jazzmaster style guitar, spaced appropriately.

And then it happened...

So I was putting on layers of shellac and to keep from using up all of the disposable brushes, I started a jar for brush cleaning. Did I mention I am old? So I had all these cans of alcohol, thinner, turpentine and other stuff, I thought I decided to clean with denatured alcohol but I remember thinking of using the thinner...

long story still long, I used my brush cleaner to make my next little jar of tinting shellac thinking it was the denatured alcohol, then applied a thick coat front and back.

So now I am trying to get the sticky out, I sanded and wet sand and it is still sticky. Moral to this circus, no matter how old you are, you should label your jars.

I tricked my wife into buy_in , she said she likes black pickguard and black on black (wenge ebony) neck. Conundrum , I was leaning towards padouk ebony, but, I can use it on all of my builds.

Back