Multi-laminate explorer scratch build

i dunno, the wooden rings don't match. I like creme but black could work too...

chrome could be awesome too....

Not a fan of pickup rings for this project either, but I'd go for black rings if you must. Blend in with the pickups.

I mean this as a complement: your project design looks a lot like a Alembic bass guitar design, what with the purpleheart striping and particularly with the rounded edge you showed us just above. Alembic ran a John Entwhistle bass similarly designed to this guitar shape, and they just had the black plastic covered active Alembic pickups straight to the wood, no pickup rings.

That is just looking sweeter and sweeter as time and work progresses... great great job

Lookin' fine... :glasses9:

Normally, I would jump on the natural wood rings.  I always try to go natural if possible.
However, you got a lot o' woods going on there to try and blend.
I really think the black works best because it matches the pick-ups.
Maybe chrome, which you don't picture  ???
Ultimately, I agree with others that no ring would work best on this project.

Regardless, this is one bad mother and what ever you choose will be rockin'

:kewlpics: :rock-on:

Black rings for me, they blend in better, too many different timbers with the wood ones.

Nice build

djf67 said:
Anybody know if metal rings interfere with the Sustainer?
I know that shielding paint does. DocNrock had trouble with one of his builds that he put shielding paint in the pup cav routs.... :dontknow:

I say no rings  :headbang1:

If you have to have rings, black or chrome. Don't add any more wood, let the body and neck speak for themselves.

+1 to no rings, but I like the black ones best.

Or make rings that match the body :headbang1: :laughing7:

Death by Uberschall said:
I say no rings  :headbang1:

If you have to have rings, black or chrome. Don't add any more wood, let the body and neck speak for themselves.

+1 on no more wood - that will only confuse things.  Black for me

+10.  Black rings for sure.  This guitar's gonna kick ass like Donkey Kong in the old arcade games.

lovely, lovely guitar!!! kind of like my own favorite axe!

GIbson-shape: check!
exotic woods: check!
motherbucker: check!
kahler: check!

it really, really rocks!

Black wins!
Slowly progressing. All wired up with the SD P-Rails wiring option for the motherbucker (Ser/par/2 coils/other 2 coils) on 2 p/p pots. And sustainer. No pickup selector - I'm ignoring the option of using the sustainer as a neck pickup.
Neck headstock got a lightly figured birdseye veneer in the end. Just waiting for the neck screws that haven't showed up yet. Then I can string it up!  :party07:

091012_assembly1.jpg

This is the direction the "Zoot Suit" laminate should have gone.  Looking sweet!  :icon_thumright:

Thoes pickups arent screwed in are they? :icon_scratch:

So on this build you can just turn the sustainer on/off and thats that? That sounds like a better idea than having it as a pickup.

Back