Black korina Jazzmaster build

That's probably a good idea Stratamania. I was going to wait till I had the neck for this guitar in hand, but there's no reason I can't use the neck that I have now (the one from my Albert Lee build) to test things out.

That should work okay as they are both Warmoth necks so should be fairly close.

Wait now I remember - I had the no-inlay ziricote idea from you in the first place. So is this new neck of similar design or did you reuse the neck I had seen previously?

Wait now I remember - I had the no-inlay ziricote idea from you in the first place. So is this new neck of similar design or did you reuse the neck I had seen previously?
Haha I forgot about that! That was a baritone neck that I have on another build, this is a new one that I have coming

Very cool. I went with canary but maybe wish I had gone with padauk - it's such a pretty wood. What kind of finish did you get? (My canary neck is raw)

Yesterday I buffed the body down to satin with "Stock Sheen" and applied shielding paint to the cavities.

That went well, but then I tried to press in one of the thimbles using my drill press... It got about 2/3 of the way in, and then the thimble busted! I guess I tried to force it too hard... Luckily I was able to remove it, but this is a new one for me!

Ordered a new set of thimbles from Amazon that will hopefully be here today

IMG_1676 copy.jpeg

Was the hole for the thimble deep, with a big enough diameter?
I drilled plenty deep and to the diameter recommended by the manufacturer, but I guess it needed to be a little wider. I think it would have been fine in a softer/less dense wood.

I drilled plenty deep and to the diameter recommended by the manufacturer, but I guess it needed to be a little wider. I think it would have been fine in a softer/less dense wood.

It could be also of course a combo of the harder wood and some sort of fatigue in the metal. Did the thimbles come with the bridge?

I wonder if a touch of petroleum jelly very lightly applied to the insert would do the trick?

I just wondered, as the bridge looked good quality. Hopefully it goes better next time. Perhaps a little heat on the metal like sometimes is used when putting in ferrules may be worth a try also.
I dunno, wont heating actually expand the metal/make it softer?

Heating the metal tends to make it slide into tight drill holes like that a little more easily; but if that's a defect in the original part, yeah, heating the metal would have done no good and would likely have resulted in the same result, but faster.

Well the thimbles came today, and after a little work with a round file on the holes I was able to get them pressed in. I got the bridge and everything else installed and ready to play using a loaner neck from one of my other builds! It's sounding and playing pretty great! The only thing that seems to be not quite right is that my bass cut knob doesn't seem to be working... but I'll figure that out tomorrow.

69F74D4B-4549-4D5E-9384-193ED8A985EC copy.jpeg

I dunno, wont heating actually expand the metal/make it softer?

A little heat, not a lot, and it is applied in the case of ferrules are in the holes as much as possible so the heat transfers through to the wood.

Heating the metal tends to make it slide into tight drill holes like that a little more easily; but if that's a defect in the original part, yeah, heating the metal would have done no good and would likely have resulted in the same result, but faster.
Exactly.

Well the thimbles came today, and after a little work with a round file on the holes I was able to get them pressed in. I got the bridge and everything else installed and ready to play using a loaner neck from one of my other builds! It's sounding and playing pretty great!

Great news.

The only thing that seems to be not quite right is that my bass cut knob doesn't seem to be working... but I'll figure that out tomorrow.

Look forward to hearing the news, if not the guitar, which overall is looking good. The Warhead neck works well on a JM I think.

Back