Black korina Jazzmaster build

ragamuffin

Hello all! For the past year or so I've been lusting after jazzmasters, so I've decided to build one to my specs.

I'll be building the body from this lovely black korina blank that I ordered from cfp_woodoutlet on Ebay. I'm not sure which side will be front or back yet; the wood has some nice wavy figuring on one side and nice orange steaks on the other!

WjD1Grj.jpg

uKIkWpF.jpg

I'm thinking it will get a natural Tru-oil finish to show off the lovely grain.

That's a gorgeous body blank. My personal preference would be to orient the blank so the front has the two parallel, bookmatched orange strips, which will be much more obvious to the viewer than the wave in the grain. And if you go with a no-pickguard configuration, you'll be able to see ALL of them.

No wrong answers there. My personal preference would be for the black pickguard and abalone dots, but I tend to be more of a minimalist when it comes to fingerboard adornments. The blocks are also plenty nice. The brushed-aluminum vibe, however, seems... off.

No wrong answers there. My personal preference would be for the black pickguard and abalone dots, but I tend to be more of a minimalist when it comes to fingerboard adornments. The blocks are also plenty nice. The brushed-aluminum vibe, however, seems... off.
Yeah I think you’re right about the aluminum; I wanted to use it but I think it clashes with the natural black korina too much
How are you generating those images?
Like jackastro said, the ‘ol Kisekae modeler.
It’s kind of basic in some ways, but you can get a lot out of it with a little patience!

Impatiently waiting for the body template to show up sometime next week.

I did a little photoshopping to see what padauk pickup covers might look like... It's kind of a cool look!

ZGYpNWo.jpg

The headstock is also padauk?

Btw - how much did the slab of korina cost you?
Yep I'm thinking a padauk neck!

The BK was about $120 shipped from cfp_woodoutlet on Ebay. I also ordered the body and top wood for my singlecut build from them, both good transactions. (y)

Curious, did you try a mock up of blocks and rosewood? Black gloss pickguard is the way to go.

Curious, did you try a mock up of blocks and rosewood? Black gloss pickguard is the way to go.
I did a mockup, and rosewood with blocks sure looks nice!

7wOZ5jT.png

But I THINK I've decided to go with a paduak shaft and figured ziricote board, no inlays. I really love the ziricote board on my baritone's canary neck, and I think it would suit this build to.

Basically I've decided to build a guitar shaped like a jazzmaster, fitted with relatively traditional jazzmaster components, but with a very different aesthetic than a classic JM. 🥳

I'm gonna sit on it for a few more days before I order though

What about gold hardware, Floyd Rose and an HSH just to be different. Or perhaps just gold hardware if an HSH Floyd is not your thing.:)

The body templates came last night, and I started work this morning. The blade on my (wimpy little) bandsaw broke halfway through cutting the shape, so I continued with a jigsaw and it turned out fine. After some sanding and routing it's all good!! Now on to the cavities.

j4qvpej.jpg

Back