Multi-laminate explorer scratch build

rapfohl09 said:
Ohhhh man that is looking fine! What are you going to hit that with, oil or some sort of clear?

Oil. Lots and lots of.
I've tried some sanding sealer in the control cavity and the spalted sycamore/londonplane/lacewood stuff is going to soak up any finish like a sponge.

MUYFUE said:
very good routing work!
Looks great so far, you should be proud!

Thanks. This and the padauk build are miles ahead of my first build, in terms of quality. The control cavity looks neater 'cos I bought a new template and didn't make any mistakes.  :icon_biggrin:

That looks SO sharp  :headbang:  Too bad about your choice of bridge  :sad:

Two coats of Danish...

091001_2coatsoil1.jpg

That thing is sweet.  Good choice on the explorer too.  Don't think any other body style would have pulled it off as nicely.

I have a quick question about your building process. How did using the round-over bit work on your neck pocket area? I feel like it would start chipping like crazy since it gets pretty thin in there.

Looks good with that oil!

That is one sweeeeeeeeeeeet Explorer.  :glasses9:
You have preformed outstanding craftsmanship on this baby.
You should be proud... :headbang1:
:kewlpics: :rock-on:

Thanks guys  :icon_thumright:

rapfohl09 said:
I have a quick question about your building process. How did using the round-over bit work on your neck pocket area? I feel like it would start chipping like crazy since it gets pretty thin in there.

No roundover ovolo on this body - all hand sanded edges and a bit of rasping to shape the heel and the comfort contour for reaching the 24th fret.
Here's a closer shot -

091001_2coatsoil3.jpg

Oh all right thanks. I was going to ask what bit you used since thats about how much roundover I like, but ehh  :laughing7:

I'm not a fan of pup rings myself, but I'd go for the dark wood ones personally..... :headbang1:

DangerousR6 said:
I'm not a fan of pup rings myself, but I'd go for the dark wood ones personally..... :headbang1:

+1  then the rings hide with the pickups. better than trying to make an impossible match with the body wood.

btw,  NICE GUITAR!

Back