Multi-laminate explorer scratch build

djf67

I posted a teaser to this in my padauk/redwood build thread. That build is having a rest because sanding padauk is so damn messy. So I've planed and jointed this body blank up now. This was the teaser pic -

spalted_lacewood_laminate.jpg

I've omitted the bubinga from the actual blank so it's central padauk, birdseye maple, purpleheart, spalted English Sycamore (aka US lacewood), purpleheart to each edge.
It's in the last stages of clamping up as I write but I'll post pics as I go, if there's interest. This first post is just a bookmark for expanding later.
The plan is to use a 24fret explorer neck I have 'on the shelf', a Kahler 7200 hybrid trem and a Sustainer. I've got a couple of potential bridge pickups in mind.
I said this would be the last but I've still got some mahogany and quilt maple and EMGs and P90s that need homes.....

I'm a huge fan of explorers, you're off to a good start!
Keep us updated, looks...different...which is cool!  :headbang1:

Describe the neck you will use.

Oh man thats going to look so good.

I didnt realize that it was a piece of paper over it the first time, haha I was so confused for a few minutes.

suh-wheeet!!! I've been waiting for you to start this one since u showed the first pic with the paper cutout months ago  :hello2:

Yea, I've been waiting to see this also after that little teaser  :icon_tongue:
That neck is going to be smokin' with that body.  :glasses9:
Nice inlay on the neck... Did you do the inlay yourself?
Can't wait to see future pics!
:kewlpics: :rock-on:

funny you posted this!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Guitar-PLANS-Gibson-Explorer-full-scale1-1-36x48-paper_W0QQitemZ280351731886QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item414643f0ae&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Nice, that will be friking sweet....well except for that kahler thing..Other than that, that will be one sick explorer.... :icon_thumright:

smavridis said:
funny you posted this!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Guitar-PLANS-Gibson-Explorer-full-scale1-1-36x48-paper_W0QQitemZ280351731886QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item414643f0ae&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I made my template from scratch, thus saving $20  :icon_biggrin:
On squared paper I have a standard neck pocket position and scale length marked out (strat heel to scale length is 10" so pretty easy) in half-size. I draw my shapes on that then scale up to full size on A0 paper then trace that onto tracing paper (actually greaseproof paper) and stick the tracing paper outline onto MDF and cut it out with a jigsaw.
For the explorer, I had Google find the largest images of explorers on the interweb (about 3Mpix), printed them off, took some measurements from the scale length, pickup poles etc and scaled it to my 1/2 size squared paper. It helped to have the exact Gibson sizes from the 'Gibson vs Warmoth Explorer' thread on here  - thanks, whoever that was :icon_thumright:

yes...Yes...YES.  This is the cat's behind.  I'm not normally an exotic wood fan, but this definately has potential!

texicus said:
I...uh...the thirsty beavers got the best of me.   :headbang:

And let me tell you, when those beavers are thirsty, they are REAL thirsty!

Okay, thirsty beavers....
Blank now thicknessed and levelled front and rear using a homemade router cradle. Neck pocket next, before routing the body, because an Explorer has no wood around the neck area to support the template. Lucky escape when my son distracted me and I cut a gouge in the wood just outside the template area (see left side). :tard:

090905_thicknessed.jpg

Back