Jazzmaster Build with a Home Finish

Rick said:
The more I think about, the more the warmoth finishes seem to be a great value.

No kidding. Unless you just can't get the color/type of finish you want from them, it's really false economy and somewhat risky to finish things yourself. Still, it's a good skill to have because you never know where a body is gonna come from. Might not have a choice but to DIY it.

I reckon I've spent so far about 35 hours on the finish (body and neck, and I'm stickler to get it perfect.  After it's assembled, it can get dented and dinged, that's fine, but for that one pristine moment before I perform, I want everything perfect), and have at least 5 more hours to go, then it has to cure for two weeks.  I don't begrudge doing it, and I've done it before, but that's a week's worth of work, spread out over months. 

Sounds about right. So, figure 40 hours divided by $250 (Warmoth fancy finish cost), and that means you've been working for $6.25 hr. (Below minimum wage). May as well get a paper route :laughing7:

Actually, if you include the warmoth costs for finishing both the body and neck, and then factor in what I spent on finishing supplies, then factor in the lost opportunity costs and the cost of going to "finishing school" it's like working for free.

Oddly enough, there are still people out there who feel like they're "saving" $200-$250 by finishing it themselves, which for the reasons cited isn't true at all, and often can be seen as an amateur finish from a mile away.

15 coats and done, but for the curing and the scratch x to remove the whorls and errant marks.  Give it two weeks to cure, from 9/2, that would be 9/16 for the scratch x.  Then start assembling on on 9/17 God willing!  Whoo-hooo! :turtle:

Attachments

• jm Peg face final coat before scratch x.jpg
    jm Peg face final coat before scratch x.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 27
  • JM neck final coat back before scratch x.jpg
    JM neck final coat back before scratch x.jpg
    382.6 KB · Views: 24
Whoa, that is really beautiful. It could make any guitar look elegant. Your guitar will be spectacular.

Buffed the body ...  some pics to show the color match with the body and the fret markers.  On a guitar body with light blue to light green color elements, the Turquoise is a great match.  I like how the bands (or are they called strata?) in the stone match the rosewood.
Tonight I'll look to see if I missed any swirls,  for an amatueur, I'm pretty close.

For those who are interested, when they made my neck the first one was caught in quality control, so they made a second one for me (thank you Mr or Ms Neck Quality Control).  They must have made two, because there's a similar neck in the showcase ... at a discount from mine.  Anyone who gets it will be a lucky devil.

I've seen potters in Japan do this.  When they are making something special or takes a little bit extra skill, for a client, they make two of them, just in case.  Makes me feel like the neck I got is real special.

The mushroom buffer and the swirl remover cost me $25, so I got to add that into the finishing costs.

Attachments

• JM  Turquoise Fret Marker.jpg
    JM Turquoise Fret Marker.jpg
    458.7 KB · Views: 12
  • JM Body Shiny after swirl removal.jpg
    JM Body Shiny after swirl removal.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 14
  • JM Buffer Body.jpg
    JM Buffer Body.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 18
  • jm neck and body to show fret markers turqoise.jpg
    jm neck and body to show fret markers turqoise.jpg
    421 KB · Views: 35
Looks like a good result, Rick.

I would call them strata... and people think my username might have something to do with stratocasters. It might but then again it might not  :laughing7:

The first session of swirl removing took about half an hour with the power tool. Did another session, last night, buffing by hand.  That took about 45 minutes.  Will probably do another session tonight. Each time it’s looking better.
So far, not including my time which is well over 40 hours, at the end I'm looking at 50 hours, I've spent over $140 in finishing the neck and body .... for those who might be interested in such facts.

A Mack Daddy finish on a body and neck would cost $410 at Warmoth.  Subtract about $150 for materials, that's $270.  On my next finishing project, I think I'll ask Mr Warmoth to help me out.

Edit 9-11
Did a Second  round of hand buffing with scratch x.  I'm really liking how it's going so will do at least one more.

How's it coming along? The last photos looked good. It must be pretty nice, now.

I did another buffing, and it's looking shiny.  In fact, it's looking so good my wife asked to see how it looked with the neck and the pickguard.  And she announced that the red pickguard was a mismatch and that she would pick out a new one for me.  She got on the Warmoth website and ordered samples of blue shell, silver pearl and solid pearloid.

I realized that all my guitars have been black, white, natural or brown, and I reckon that's a function of my color blindness.  My kind of color blindness is that in isolation I can see colors but when they are with other colors I get them all mixed up, or I see them as a different color.  It's kind of shocking when you see something that is blood red, but everyone else sees as green.  Anyway, I'm used to it.

The good news, she's going to pay for it!  So anyway, that's where I am.

What I don't understand is how she was able to get right on the warmoth website, get to the pickguards and then see how to order the samples.  I know people here, like myself, don't know what to click on, and she got on there and did it within 30 seconds.  I don't know what it means, other than the denizens of this website are a bunch of musicians.

Rick said:
What I don't understand is how she was able to get right on the warmoth website, get to the pickguards and then see how to order the samples.  I know people here, like myself, don't know what to click on, and she got on there and did it within 30 seconds.  I don't know what it means, other than the denizens of this website are a bunch of musicians.
Some people are like that. The rest of us just get to watch things unfold. :laughing11:

It'll be nice to see what she finally picks for the material.

On the good side, you now have a red pickguard that needs a guitar... :icon_biggrin:

Here's the completed (at least in terms of finish) body.  It's as close to pro grade as you can get, and the finish is thin and shiny.  I'm happy.  On Sept 16 the neck will get it's polishing.  In the meantime, I'll attach the strap buttons and jack plate.

Attachments

• jm body final!.jpg
    jm body final!.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 30
According to my color coordinator it needed a pickguard with elements of silver, which would go with the chrome hardware and not clash with the turquoise (to me the red pearl looked like it harmonized, but I go with the flow).  The turquoise dots on the neck go with the body finish, and the amber tuning buttons go with the neck finish.  Picking out colors is so difficult.  :icon_scratch:

I know what you mean. Do you want complementary, contrasting or matching? It might be worthwhile to get a Mint 'guard sample and see how that looks up against it.

These are a few of the color samples I pulled off of the Quick Guards web site. There's plenty of interesting choices out there...  :icon_thumright:

Attachments

• Teal_Crackle_Gold_Sparkle_Sheet_1024x1024@2x.jpg
    Teal_Crackle_Gold_Sparkle_Sheet_1024x1024@2x.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Blue_Florentine_1024x1024@2x.jpg
    Blue_Florentine_1024x1024@2x.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Teal_Sparkle_Sheet_1024x1024@2x.jpg
    Teal_Sparkle_Sheet_1024x1024@2x.jpg
    599.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Copper_Patina_Acrylic_Shell_1024x1024@2x.jpg
    Copper_Patina_Acrylic_Shell_1024x1024@2x.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 2
Looks like blue shell wins.  The silver pearloid was too gray, and the solid pearloid, while nice had less personality.  Curiously, the blue shell has the most silver.  Plus the blue harmonizes with the turquoise.

Attachments

• jm silver blue shell swatch.jpg
    jm silver blue shell swatch.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 24
Back