Jazzmaster Build with a Home Finish

Rick

Epic Member
Well, this time I started the build with a bridge based on Logrinn's success.  I carefully looked at the specs from the Gotoh website and it looks like the 10.5 spacing will fit into the 10.8 routing offered by big W.  If not, we'll do something else.

NS510T steel saddles, zinc block (I think) 2 point trem  Cost: $123.50.

Inserts were sent to Warmoth by regular mail on Friday.  Should be there today, Monday.

It won't be a full on Jazzmaster, it will be my part in the evolution of the electric guitar.

Attachments

• NS510T steel saddles zinc block 2-point chrome.jpg
    NS510T steel saddles zinc block 2-point chrome.jpg
    453.4 KB · Views: 74
Here's the body. Alder. 3.3 Lbs $236 (plus $10) for the insert install. 7/8's jack side hole.  Routed for three humbuckers.

I'm going to dye or stain it, no solid colors.  Not sure what shades, in my mind I've got something mary kaye whitish, maybe mary kaye amber gold, or MK turquoise, or surf green MK or MK daphne blue.  With or without some sparkle or pearlescent.  Not sure how to do it yet, but I'll figure it out.  I like the beauty mark streaking in the top and want them to show thru.

I guess the c stands for chambering.

Attachments

• JM1021A.jpg
    JM1021A.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 20
  • JM1021B.jpg
    JM1021B.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 18
  • JM1021C.jpg
    JM1021C.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 24
3.3lbs?  :eek: :eek: :eek:
That’s crazy light. Good catch finding such a light Jazzmaster body.

Logrinn said:
3.3lbs?  :eek: :eek: :eek:
That’s crazy light. Good catch finding such a light Jazzmaster body.
I'll say.

Folllowing your progress on this one for sure.

@rgand actually your goy helped inspire the choice of body shape. Also a while ago , I think, you mentioned a finish by wudtone, and I'm looking at either the surfer girl or t bird. Maybe add tru oil top coat for more gloss.  If you have any thoughts on those colors let me know.

Rick said:
@rgand actually your goy helped inspire the choice of body shape. Also a while ago , I think, you mentioned a finish by wudtone, and I'm looking at either the surfer girl or t bird. Maybe add tru oil top coat for more gloss.  If you have any thoughts on those colors let me know.
I'm complimented. Thanks. I'm looking at doing my Faultline build in Wudtone blue, too. I'll probably choose Azure Lagoon but Surfer Girl and T-Bird are really nice. For a bit more gloss, TrueOil might be a good choice, although I haven't tried that yet. I did experiment with Wipe-On Poly on a block of wood and it covers the Wudtone without problems. I look forward to seeing what you put on it. Looking forward to seeing which one you end up with.

The Azure Lagoon looks like T-bird (to me) but without the Mary Kaye white base.  I'm also dithering on whether to make it more metallic, which would be adding 5-10% sparkle to the base coats, or going for full on sparkle by applying the sparkle neat before the top coat.

I like the idea of the wipe on poly, it should build up a thicker coat. 

I called the warmothership ... Inserts arrived yesterday (4 days from NYS).  Guitar goes into production tomorrow!  :bananaguitar:

Rick said:
The Azure Lagoon looks like T-bird (to me) but without the Mary Kaye white base.  I'm also dithering on whether to make it more metallic, which would be adding 5-10% sparkle to the base coats, or going for full on sparkle by applying the sparkle neat before the top coat.

I like the idea of the wipe on poly, it should build up a thicker coat.
I wonder if you could put some in the poly coat(s).

Most of the processes seem to be put on the base coat of whatever, in my case it would be the dye / white base mixture.  If I want it metallic, then put a little glitter in the base coat.  Let that dry good.  Then put on the glitter.  Let that dry good.  Then put on nice clear top coat of whatever.  Let that dry good then buff.  Damn, I'm getting excited! 

I did a custom motorcycle one time and the painter put a slight pearlescence in the top coats. It came out good. Can't say it would work the same with any flakes of any type.

I'm thinking about a metallic taos turqoise fade, going from 100% dye on the lower third, then 75% dye on the middle third, and then 50% dye at the horn third.  A lot will depend on when I see the body in person.  W did a great job of putting together the three pieces of wood to form the body, it almost looks like one, so maybe I want to let it show thru.  Or maybe, a dark 90% dye, in metallic so that some grain shows thru ...

What  a great thing to think about.

My Fujigen Tele is actually 5 pieces glued together. The grain isn't even matched and it isn't really noticeable. I susp-ect yours will be nice with anything you do to it.

o6ZgNyE.jpg

Now I really have to start thinking of the finish ...

Scheduled Delivery
Monday
03/11/2019

Current Event In Transit 03/05/2019 3:30 A.M. Tacoma, WA, United States
Departure Scan

03/04/2019 11:16 P.M. Tacoma, WA, United States Arrival Scan
03/04/2019 11:09 P.M. Fife, WA, United States Departure Scan
Past Event Shipped 03/04/2019 6:25 P.M. Fife, WA, United States
Origin Scan

Past Event Label Created 03/04/2019 2:55 P.M. United States
Order Processed: Ready for UPS

I think I've got the finish ...
Opaque T-Bird pearl burst, sort of like Glenn Campbell's Blue Bird, but Rick Style. My burst would be going from 80% saturation, back and sides to a 50% saturation in the front middle.  And then instead of it being solid, being opaque, also instead of having sparkle on the outside and less on the inside, have the whole thing pearl, but with a little more pearl outside.

Note the stereo function in the pic of 3 ...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=ygf47K9jY7I[/youtube]

Attachments

• Wayne Collection 4.jpg
    Wayne Collection 4.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 26
03/08/2019 5:59 A.M. Hodgkins, IL, United States
Departure Scan

03/08/2019 4:36 A.M. Hodgkins, IL, United States Arrival Scan

Edit 3/11
Out for Delivery Today 
  Scheduled Delivery     

Monday
03/11/2019
  by End of Day 

I think I'm going to do the opaque t-burst ala Ovation's Glen Campbell, but instead of bursting the sparkle, making the whole guitar sparkle, like this.  The question is do I use gold or silver sparkle?  What matches a blue burst best?

Edit about three days later ... After much reflection because the theme is blue, not red or yellow, I'm going with silver.

Attachments

• creston0407.jpg
    creston0407.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 37
I got the body last night.  Haven't opened it yet.  As to the finish by schedule will be:
4 coats bursting 40% dye 60% base center / 80% dye 20% base back and sides.
1 coat neat sparkle
3 coats top coat gloss

Here are some pics out of the box.  It's soooooo Light!  Now that I've seen the mineral lines (is that what they are?) I want to highlight them, they look really cool and the top has chatoyance ...  I'll hit the sanding mark with 220 grit to make it uniform then I'll finish it.  Also, put in the the 2 1/16th spread trem and it fit perfectly (thanks Logrinn)

Also, note how much deeper the humbucker rout is compared to the jm rout.

Attachments

• jmbody sanding spot.jpg
    jmbody sanding spot.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 32
  • jmbody.jpg
    jmbody.jpg
    354.2 KB · Views: 64
  • jmbodybeautymarks.jpg
    jmbodybeautymarks.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 40
  • jmbodyhumbuckerroutand510bridge.jpg
    jmbodyhumbuckerroutand510bridge.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 42
Looks good. i knew the JM pickup routs were shallower but that shows just how much.

Back