1st jazzmaster build pickup cavity too shallow?

Now, for the strap buttons. I will out one on the horn at a slight downward angle and my question is: would it be ok to put the other one on the seam at the butt end of the guitar or should I go below it? The seam is right in the middle but would it weaken it to put it there?

Also, I reamed the holes on my bridge out slightly and put some bigger (slightly) tapered screws with a flat head and solved that problem. I had to take the strings off to do that of course since I had to remove the bridge so now will be a good time to remove the neck to put that strap button on the horn.

Now, for the strap buttons. I will out one on the horn at a slight downward angle and my question is: would it be ok to put the other one on the seam at the butt end of the guitar or should I go below it? The seam is right in the middle but would it weaken it to put it there?

The seam is usually at the centreline and where a strap button / or lock is normally fitted. No, it should not weaken it.

Well, now that I have it all together I've been playing and there is this hum that I can't get rid of. I'm using a Roland JC-22 no pedals. So I turn the amp on with nothing plugged in and no hum, plug in a cable with no guitar and it hums, plug in the guitar and it hums. Touch all of the strings and it gets tolerable but not just one or two, you have to touch them all. My strat doesn't hum as bad as this one.🤬 So I put an ohm meter from strings to output shield and it goes from like .0 to .7 and I go inside from pot to pot, from pot to output, from switch to output....etc and all readings are the same, no open leads. My bridge is painted black and I sanded the black off of the bottom where the ground wire is to make a good connection. I plugged an outlet tester into the wall and all is good. I plugged the 3 prong plug off my amp into a female 3 prong input to a 2 prong output cutting out the ground and no difference. Turned off the fluorescent light and no difference at all. I will say this though, when I was soldering the volume pot I did get it a little hot and there is like a hole in it right there where it melted and I guess I can replace that. 😬 Hey, it's my first time soldering so I had to get the hang of it, everything works though! I have shielding tape but I didn't use it since I ran jumpers to everything. Fralin said either or on that. I play fingerstyle so there isn't many times when all of my fingers are on the strings and this humming is getting annoying! Do you think it could be that pot? I guess I could try and see. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance, Green Horn signing off. 🐈

Highly likely the pot and lack of ground continuity, cold or poor solder joints, lack of shielding etc.

I appreciate that. I have two new pots and a three-way order should be here tomorrow there's probably a chance that I might have gotten a little sloppy with my solder job lol on top of melting the pot so I'm going to take everything out and go ahead and put that shielding tape inside the cavity that way I can do away with a wire or two and see if I can do a little bit better on my soldering this time I think all solder those four lugs on the three way with it out of the guitar so I can make sure nothing drips down onto the switch.

Back