Green Paisley B-Bender Tele

stubhead said:
My question was sort of - what glue under nitro? - if tolex glue "stays soft" it sounds like it might be releasing gases undeneath the nitro for some time, not a real swell scenario.  :eek:

It might swell under the nitro in just the way I don't want it  :doh:

stubhead said:
Do the dyes on the paper not run under nitro? "Somewhere" - Vintage Guitar Magazine, maybe - I read that Bill Crook had some problems with the paper he was using for Brad Paisley's guitars, in that way.  :eek: :eek: I can track down the mag and quote if you want.

Yep, I've got that article.  The dyes in the paper don't run with deft.  Hell, they don't run with pure acetone.  They did run a bit when I was experimenting with different greens from rattle cans.

I'm not worried.

I'm voting for Titebond as well.  After 24 hours its fully cured, and it has a good track record in woodworking.

I remember a thread a while back where the guitar body was finished in black nitro.  Or black with a clear coat and the clear cracked.  I think the conclusion was that the black underneath the clear was softer and the clear on the surface was harder leading to cracking problems like a dry creek bed.  I would go with the Titebond for that reason.  It would be heart breaking to have the glue for the paper cause trouble on such a nice project.
Patrick

It was the January 2009 "Premier Guitar" article on 5 Tele Builders, and Bill Crook was having problems with some paper dyes that were printed up from a custom computer graphics program. Sounds like you've got your scientist hat on, already... :laughing7:

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2009/Jan/5_Tele_Style_Builders_You_Should_Know.aspx?Page=5

Thanks for the link!  I had forgotten about that article.  Made me want to head over to the tele forum and read up on this Jay fellow  :laughing7:

paisley9b.jpg

By Mr. Crook.

"Thanks for the link!  I had forgotten about that article.  Made me want to head over to the tele forum and read up on this Jay fellow "

I did the same. I've haad a similar experience with aanother builder, aand so haave lots of others.

But to go back to topic, this project of yours is great, and thanks for the photos. I was always partial to the blue flower finish (why did W discontinue the pickguard material that looked like it?), so maybe if I ever find the paper I will follow your example!

A lot of really involved, intricate patterns end up looking like mud from 20 feet away (including lots of fancy-pants wood grain :sad1: :sad1: :sad1:). It looks to me like Crook has designed a "big" paisley pattern to still stand out on stage... Personally, I don't care, I want a guitar to look good curled up with me at 3 a.m. in my rocking chair. Of all these, I (perversely) like the tangerine the best, but it might be scary at 3 a.m. :eek:

paisley1b.jpg

http://www.crookcustomguitars.com/paislies.php

How bout a B and a G bender, and a Lawrence pickup too? Woo woo woo.

PaisleyNOT-BG.jpg

Latest update

ok, so I could not wait a week.

I level sanded the entire body.  I took off quite a bit of sealer - I did not go easy on the sander.  The body actually looked pretty good in a matte finish:

n527102111_2354253_5080849.jpg

Then I got my glue out:

n527102111_2354254_2387222.jpg

Here's the glue and glue brush all ready to go:

n527102111_2354255_2509399.jpg

Here but for the grace of god go I...

n527102111_2354256_17804.jpg

Some notes

1 - only the back was done - the front will wait for a bit.
2 - sorry - no shots of me applying the glue - I was a bit busy at the time.
3 - watch out for brush hairs sticking to the body.
4 - I applied the glue full strength.
5 - I glued the back end first, then applied the glue in sections and rolled the paper on as I went.
6 - I spend a lot of time rubbing my hand on the back of the guitar to work the glue into the paper/wood

The plan now is to let it dry, then cut the paper to size.

Thanks guys!

I decided to cut it out ahead of time.  Glad I did - the glue was getting pretty hard. 
One issue:  doing the cuts on the routed areas was easy.  Doing the cuts on the beveled edges was really really hard - mostly because the paper separates as you are trying to cut it.  I kept my razor sharp, but there are still rough edges.  Not sure what I'll do - maybe put a bead of glue on the edge then sand? Hmmm...

Some shots:  Note that I didn't paper/glue the upper horn because it's such a thin gluing area and the bender covers most of that area anyway - we may as well just burst over that spot:

n527102111_2354541_1155902.jpg

n527102111_2354542_4373827.jpg

n527102111_2354543_5751493.jpg

n527102111_2354544_1040985.jpg

Fricken sweet.  Props to you, I would never have the guts to try something like that.  :rock-on:

Wow that is looking so nice!!!!!

It really makes me happy to see someone go for it, do it themselves to (and) get what they want. Truly an inspirational project.  :icon_thumright:

Back