Green and purple goblin

Looking forward to this one, what a cool idea.
Are you considering doing a matching backplate cover made out of purple wood ?

This is going to look great, I absolutely love the Warmoth flake finishes. That neck is so nice as well.

Getting started on the wiring.
OM8y3Qo.jpg

I'm putting a set of Fishman Merrow pickups in this one (for now at least).  The volume pot will be a push/pull to select humbucker or single coil mode, and in the control cavity will be a set of 4 DIP switches that selects the voicing and high frequency tilt for each pickup so I can experiment and find the combo I like best without having to rewire or mount switches on the front.

Otherwise, not too sure. First time I ever heard of a "worst director" or "worst actor" award, but Stephen King and Emilio Estevez managed to snag those. I actually thought it was kinda fun, but then I like old Lost in Space reruns, too, so... Some discussion of all that here, if anyone's interested.

Cagey said:
Otherwise, not too sure. First time I ever heard of a "worst director" or "worst actor" award, but Stephen King and Emilio Estevez managed to snag those. I actually thought it was kinda fun, but then I like old Lost in Space reruns, too, so... Some discussion of all that here, if anyone's interested.
:headbang:

Putting the pickups in place.
KHSmS05.jpg

All wired up.  It is a little busy right now.  Once I replace the 3-way switch and give the pickups a workout to make sure I want to keep them, I'll clean it up and make things permanent.
Jh06HGq.jpg

Pickups mounted and knobs in place.
amxkhFT.jpg

In order to block the Floyd I installed set screws in the trem block. 
djqWCtm.jpg

xqbDqSy.jpg

Trem in place and blocked with control cavity cover mounted.  It is starting to get close to looking finished!
7CuR4nV.jpg

Mayfly said:
VinceClortho said:

Now THAT is a hell of an Idea!

I've seen it done with a gate latch before . . . this way you can quickly swap between blocked and floating with the flick of a finger:
stopperLocked.jpg

VinceClortho said:
Pickups mounted and knobs in place.
amxkhFT.jpg

djqWCtm.jpg

xqbDqSy.jpg

Trem in place and blocked with control cavity cover mounted.  It is starting to get close to looking finished!
7CuR4nV.jpg

Excellent work there. You strike me as someone who evidently has some level of machining and fabrication experience in your past. Your quality of work and finish is first rate. Salute! :icon_thumright:

This is shaping up to be a really nice axe.  I cannot wait to see the two married together.

What is going on with the electronics?  Is that a micro USB I see on the cover?

DMRACO said:
This is shaping up to be a really nice axe.  I cannot wait to see the two married together.

Its probably a Fishman charger for the pickups.

stratamania said:
DMRACO said:

That's cool.  I have installed a Fishman Power Bridge before.  I never knew that had rechargeable model pickups/pre-amp

DMRACO said:
stratamania said:
DMRACO said:

That's cool.  I have installed a Fishman Power Bridge before.  I never knew that had rechargeable model pickups/pre-amp
Thanks for the kind words on the build!  It'll be together soon.

The USB is indeed for the Fishmans.  It is a charging port for the Fishman Universal Battery.  Instead of messing around with a standard 9v the battery pack is attached to the inside of the cover plate and charged via USB.

Mayfly said:
VinceClortho said:

Now THAT is a hell of an Idea!
Thanks.  I have tried most of the usual blocking methods for Floyds over the years and this way is my current preferred way to block to dive only.  It is easy to do, requires no drilling to the guitar body, and can be adjusted or disengaged in situ with a stubby hex wrench.  It does work fine with one set screw centered in the block but I just feel better having two for no particular reason.

PhilHill said:
Excellent work there. You strike me as someone who evidently has some level of machining and fabrication experience in your past. Your quality of work and finish is first rate. Salute! :icon_thumright:
Thank you.  :headbang:  In my real job I have to do a bit of small scale machining, not much but enough to give me the tools and confidence to try making some simple parts and modifications.

Back