Koa Semi-hollow Carved-top Tele - Finished!

Thanks, Rgand. I think too much complexity is the downfall of a lot of designs. I always aim for simplicity and repetition.

I really like how you echoed textures in Telerauder -- the black pickup covers, pickguard, and outside of the knobs; the metal bridge pickup plate, control cover, and inside of the knobs. Very nicely done, and a very deserving Guitar of The Year award!

I have finished wiring the circuit, which uses Bourns Model 95 pots. They are sealed and smaller than standard pots. But their enclosure is not metallic, so soldering directly on the case is not an option. They come with a grounding lug that makes contact with the metal pot shaft. I enclosed the treble bleed circuit and tone capacitor in a blob of epoxy to provide electrical insulation, and to minimize the chance of damage from mechanical stress.

Attachments

• mbhalla-circuitboard2.png
    mbhalla-circuitboard2.png
    1,019.6 KB · Views: 15
  • mbhalla-blob.png
    mbhalla-blob.png
    439.6 KB · Views: 16
  • mbhalla-schematic2.png
    mbhalla-schematic2.png
    57.1 KB · Views: 13
Thanks, aguyinaustintx.

I agree that complexity can work against the aesthetics of a build. Clean and simple generally works best.

Thanks. Now that the circuit has been assembled, everything is being shipped off to Wilkins Guitars for finishing and final assembly. I'll post the results, but it will take a while.

"The waiting is the hardest part"
-Tom Petty

:eek:
aguyinaustintx said:
knobs-covers.png

Work in progress no more!

Attachments

• tula-front52.png
    tula-front52.png
    969.7 KB · Views: 20
  • tula-front51.png
    tula-front51.png
    635.9 KB · Views: 21
  • tula-back1.png
    tula-back1.png
    933.9 KB · Views: 16
  • tula-front54.png
    tula-front54.png
    329.7 KB · Views: 21
  • tula back.png
    tula back.png
    577 KB · Views: 15
Logrinn said:
The label inside the body is great touch.

Thanks,  Logrinn. I wanted to give credit to all the companies that contributed to to making the guitar. The paper is acid-free, and was matched to be roughly the color of the mahogany interior, which also made it look aged. An oval line was added to the Photoshop file to serve as a cutting guide. A rough cut was made, followed by filing around the edge to meet the line. There's probably an easier way to cut an oval.

A perfectly realised build. Really nice work.

Also, apologies - I'm making some thinline bodies and they're definitely getting labels having seen yours.

This is an extraordinary effort on so many levels.  To be honest, I don't believe I would have had the fortitude and perseverance to introduce all of the complexity to avoid a rear cavity cover.  Having said that, it does significantly add to the looks of the guitar both from the back and through the f-hole in the front.  To me, it would only be worth it in retrospect.  My dexterity and level of patience is not on the order of magnitude of yours!  Fantastic Job!  This is a guitar that you should be very proud of and your son will really love it!  I just wish i had the opportunity to play it.  It is a winner!

Back