Fender XII style guitar in Burgundy Mist (definitely)

amigarobbo

So, here's the plan, a guitar in the tradition of a Fender XII 12 string solid bodied guitar:

ElectricXII002.jpg

not an historically correct instrument, but similar.

Warmoth '65  neck,

65-12String.jpg

I won't be going for a right hand reverse version,  :icon_biggrin:

Now I like little frets, and stainless is a non-brainer I'd like maple with black ebony fretboard for the woods, and I'd prefer white binding, (not cream this is to look like a new guitar, because it is a new guitar!) with white pearloid block inserts, they do fit it into the first fret position don't they? But they tend to be a bit pricy, so I might have to slum it unbound with clay inlays,  :sad:

Clear Satin nitro finish with  a matching headstock colour to the body. How much of an upcharge would that be?

Body will be a Split Jazzmaster, the split means no cut to the upper body, which is good. Swamp ash wood, solid.

Pickups will probably be Kim Curtis Novak Electric XII pickups, http://curtisnovak.com/pickups/xii-v.shtml Not the fat ones as I like 'em bright & jangly, anybody got any suggestions as to what pickup cutout route would be best for them? 

It'll need a custom pickguard, someone better than me will need to cut it, maybe I could get them to cut out the pickup routes? I'll decide on the colour of the pickguard when I see the body colour in real life.

Controls will be by a trad rotational knob, the Fender XII comes with a 4 way, Neck, Both in Series, Both in Parallel, Bridge. I'm thinking about adding a phase control, so I can try the funky out of phase tones, either as a push pull on the volume or another 1 or two options on the rotation knob,  :icon_scratch:

Hardware, got all that:

index.php

Wilkinson trad tuners, Gotoh 12 bridge, and plates by Faction Guitars. I'm thinking about the string tree, I have heard it said that because the Warmoth headstock is shorter it dosn't need on,  :icon_scratch:

Now the most important thing, the paint job!

Now I was thinking of Burgundy Mist in satin, bu that new body finishes pdf, it's got my mind a-reeling, that Shell Pink in satin,
drool.gif
, Transparent Turquise over ash,
drool.gif

This will take a while to build, it's possible it may never get finished, dependant on my finances, actually, no it will be finished, just don't expect fast progress, dependant on lottery wins.  :toothy11:

Sounds awesome!  I've built a warmoth XII in the past and use it at most gigs.  Good for you on the Gotoh bridge - I find it works really well.  I also slummed it with an un-bound neck with clay dots.  Still looks great.

You do need a string tree.  Without one my strings pop out all the time - and this is with Sperzel staggered trim-locks.  And yes Cagey I was careful cutting the nut  :).  I think that the wild card with the XII is the super thin high G string - that thing pops out like crazy without, er, support.

Let me know when you enter the GOM so I can enter mine at the same time  :evil4:

A Split Jazzmaster XII sounds like a cool project. Burgundy Mist? That would look killer. Of course, almost any of the metallics would look good.  :icon_thumright:

Bump, now I'm closer to ordering, the options are doing me nut in'  :icon_scratch:

I've worked out that adding binding and blocks add $245 to the cost of the neck, I'm not sure that's worth it over a plain Ebony fretboard,  ???

Also, I've decided I'll definity go for a satin finish,

https://www.metalguitarist.org/forum/guitar-instrument-discussion/81674-nwgbd-x2-warmoth-day.html

Why doesn't this place have a
3009754267.gif
smiley?

So does anyone have any idea about which pickup rout would fit the Fender XII pickups, one that's big enough to fit them, without overdoing it, and having to make the pickguard a bit bigger.

Actually, someones done my work for me!

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=80396

Looks like it'll have to be the 93.92 x 42.74 Jazzmaster pickup,  :icon_scratch:

I've also been over thinking the controls, I wonder if I could go for 3 way slide switches so I can put each of the individual pickups, into parallel, series or off. And another one to put BOTH the pickups into Parallel, Series or out of phase. The possibilities are Intriguing! :evil4:

Attachments

• pickguard_zpsd76598a6.png
    pickguard_zpsd76598a6.png
    430.7 KB · Views: 16
[youtube]8xSFi-Tn2_g[/youtube]

Errrm... Obviously you do need to think about it, sorry. I got as far as satin burgundy mist and lost it a little.

Maybe just the blocks? the SS frets are $65 instead of $20 when combined with binding, so that doesn't help.

Are you expecting the XII control plate to cover a split JM's cavity, or you planning to custom order one without the cavity? The latter seems safer to me.

Re the pickups, I think I'd do the same thing the guy on offset guitars did - get the body with no routing and do it yourself. Interesting what he did with the plate, I haven't looked at that thread closely enough to see if his plate is a replica of a real XII's or one he's drawn up himself.

Have you got the scratchplate sorted? I'd be happy to make you one for the parts cost, but you'd have to send me the body and pickups. If you'd prefer to stick with pros, I think Jack's Instrument Services would do it and, IIRC, are near you (Manchester, UK area?)

Fat Pete said:
Maybe just the blocks? the SS frets are $65 instead of $20 when combined with binding, so that doesn't help.

Actually, that's not a bad compromise, those blocks look dreamy on at the build,

cea566d0-cea3-4267-a15d-5e2a3bacc1f1_zps69d200e0.png

:icon_scratch:

But then again, dots is more what Leo intended. the cheapskate.

[youtube]M6kPQLLLYAc[/youtube]

[youtube]LtU-9EMSYu0[/youtube]

BREAKING NEWS!

I just took Henry's advice:

CUSTOMBODY
Model: Split Jazzmaster®
Orientation: Right handed
Scale: 25-1/2"
Wood: Swamp Ash $175.00
Rout: Top Rout
Pickup Rout: Standard Jazzmaster®, None (Middle), Standard Jazzmaster®
Bridge: Gotoh 12 String
Jack Rout: No Side Jack Hole
Neck Pocket: Strat® Shape
Mounting Holes: Standard 4 Bolt
Contours: / Tummy Cut / Forearm Contour
F-Holes: None
Top Finish: Burgundy Mist $220.00
Back Finish: Burgundy Mist
Finish Type: Satin Finish
$395.00

CUSTOMNECK
Style: ’65 Twelve String
Construction: Modern Construction $157.00
Scale: 25-1/2"
Orientation: Right Handed
Neck Wood: Maple
Fingerboard Wood: Ebony (Black) $75.00
Nut Width: 1-3/4"
Back Shape: Boatneck
Fret Size: SS6230 (Stainless) $20.00
Tuner Ream: Vintage Style (11/32")
Radius: Straight 9.0" $35.00
Fret #: 22
Mounting Holes: Standard 4 Bolt
Inlays: Cream Face Dots
Side Dots: White Side Dots
String Nut: White Corian (Above) $25.00
$312.00

I went 'cheap' on the neck.  :icon_biggrin:

And an additional 130 for 'PAINT HEADSTOCK BURGUNDY MIST SATIN WITH CLEAR SATIN ON BACK'

Are you expecting the XII control plate to cover a split JM's cavity, or you planning to custom order one without the cavity? The latter seems safer to me.

I've got one from Faction Guitars, I was unaware that there's a bit missing from the Warmoth cut out, which is fair enough it's a different type of guitar init?

I don't think you can order one without the top cut, too late now anyway.  :laughing7:

Have you got the scratchplate sorted? I'd be happy to make you one for the parts cost, but you'd have to send me the body and pickups. If you'd prefer to stick with pros, I think Jack's Instrument Services would do it and, IIRC, are near you (Manchester, UK area?)

The idea was get a custom scratch plate and the electrics fitted by Jack's Instrument Services, I can do the electrics but I can't do the plate, and frankly they do the electrics better.

I did toy with the idea of getting a plate from Fiction guitars, but I think I'll just have 3 way sliders fitted directly to the scratchplate, I'll have to wait until I see the Satin Burgundy Mist in person before deciding on the colour of pickguard I want.  :icon_scratch:

Nice problem to have.

I was thinking the same thing for my next project, really interested in how it turns out.  Go for it! :yourock:

Nice to see folks doing things that don't normally get done around here - XII strings, 7 strings, Fender VIes...you're joining a list of cool projects coming down the line!

Curious about something, I see the Gotoh 12 string bridge, but it looks like it's set into a mounting plate.  Where did you get the mounting plate and is it convertable back to a six string?

I was thinking about using this ...
https://store.factionguitars.com/collections/all-products/products/jazzmaster-jaguar-12-string-hardtail-plate

that way I could convert it back

Never mind, I found the adapter.
https://store.factionguitars.com/collections/electric-xii-plates/products/electric-xii-bridge-surround-plate

The adapter looks cosmetic.  Looks like a better solution.  I like the look!  It looks like some of those old ovation bridges.  And you could convert it back to a six string.  How many times can I use the word look.

Do you think the Gotoh gives more accurate intonation, than the 12 string jazz plate and bridge combo?

I like how they refer you to stewmac and warmoth.

Damn, too many options!

Rick said:
Never mind, I found the adapter.
https://store.factionguitars.com/collections/electric-xii-plates/products/electric-xii-bridge-surround-plate

The adapter looks cosmetic.  I like the look though!  It looks like some of those old ovation bridges.  And you could convert it back to a six string.

Do you think the Gotoh gives more accurate intonation, than the 12 string jazz plate?

I think the original is intonatable for all strings, it's more a question of availability , and err.. price for the original style bridge:

https://reverb.com/uk/item/4582603-fender-electric-xii-vintage-original-complete-bridge-plate-base-saddles-screws-ferrule-back-plate-1966-chrome

I think there may also be a width difference with those old bridges, but don't quote me on that.

Offset guitars seems to be the place for Fender XII style guitars builds, some people doing it the hard way as well:

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=80669

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=80396

Mayfly said:
You do need a string tree.  Without one my strings pop out all the time - and this is with Sperzel staggered trim-locks.  And yes Cagey I was careful cutting the nut  :).  I think that the wild card with the XII is the super thin high G string - that thing pops out like crazy without, er, support.

Hmm.. I suppose I could try one of those bars for a Floyd Rose, that's cheap and will work. There is this of course:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/VWYXZBRLB/xii-string-retainer?optionId=56246412

amigarobbo said:
I've also been over thinking the controls, I wonder if I could go for 3 way slide switches so I can put each of the individual pickups, into parallel, series or off. And another one to put BOTH the pickups into Parallel, Series or out of phase. The possibilities are Intriguing! :evil4:

I've been thinking about this,

So what I want is:

3 individual three-way switches, these things:

99c93248d36ea4a3b0dcbee47f31675c.jpg

Switch 1: Neck pickup off, parallel or series output
Switch 2: Bridge pickup off, parallel or series output
Switch 3: Put BOTH pickups in series, parallel or out of phase (pref. Series out of phase, but I can live with Parallel out of phase)

I think I've worked out 1 and 2, but is 3 possible with a single three way?

It's doing me nut in!  :sad1:

Attachments

• Switchcraft_Slide_Switches.jpg.gif
    Switchcraft_Slide_Switches.jpg.gif
    5 KB · Views: 3
I was thinking about this set up.
Sort of like 4 position telecaster with
bridge,
bridge and neck para
neck
bridge and neck series

and then leaving the regular jazzmaster set up, and using the slider switch to just control the neck pick-up.  you know, so it turns off the regular circuit and just goes to the neck pickup with that warmer jazzmaster "jazz" sound.

I went out and splashed on the custom neckplate,

Double the Fun

Edited to add, Oh, it's on the way!  :turtle:

Attachments

• IMG_3585.jpg
    IMG_3585.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 25
Back