Burn headstock with torch?

Spud

What say you smart fella's about the chances or ruining maple guitar neck by burnishing just the headstock with propane torch. Just enough to highlight grain and sand back slightly. (Aside from opinion on the aesthetics)

I've seen them do this on houses in Japan, never thought about doing that to a guitar headstock. I think Ned Ryerson has done something like this, but to bodies. Me, I'm too chicken.

I can't remember what they call this technique, but if you could figure out the term it might be worth the search, it's something like Shugi-ban.

I've seen them do this on houses in Japan, never thought about doing that to a guitar headstock. I think Ned Ryerson has done something like this, but to bodies. Me, I'm too chicken.

I can't remember what they call this technique, but if you could figure out the term it might be worth the search, it's something like Shugi-ban.

I didn't actually do it. I just talked about how its common name is a mispronunciation of the Japanese characters but has unfortunately taken hold in the collective consciousness anyway. ;)

I believe it's Shou Sugi ban. A preservation/burning technique. The masters that practice it in Japan spend half a lifetime or more refining their craft. What I did to the body and maybe headstock is by comparison, just burning sh*t.

I believe it's Shou Sugi ban. A preservation/burning technique. The masters that practice it in Japan spend half a lifetime or more refining their craft. What I did to the body and maybe headstock is by comparison, just burning sh*t.
Sir, I like the cut of your jib. :)

Back