Black Korina V, Wenge/Ebony Neck

GoDrex said:
I need an update on this one. What's going on? I've been waiting to see this guitar completed.

I'm considering a wenge neck -- worried that it will be too heavy for a swamp ash explorer.

Explorer is a big body, don't think you'll have problems dude... Swamp ash isn't THAT light  :dontknow:

Yeah but I'm still worried because these type of body shapes are tough to balance on a strap because of the being no wood or horn far up the neck like on an LP or Strat. I wish Warmoth would list the weight of neck in the Showcase like they do for the bodies. It would give me some way to compare.

From what I can tell Swamp ash is nearly as light as the basswood bodies in the showcase! I may need to rethink this. I had a basswood star from Warmoth that was so neck heavy. I cannot go that route again. Damn! This sucks.

GoDrex said:
Yeah but I'm still worried because these type of body shapes are tough to balance on a strap because of the being no wood or horn far up the neck like on an LP or Strat. I wish Warmoth would list the weight of neck in the Showcase like they do for the bodies. It would give me some way to compare.

From what I can tell Swamp ash is nearly as light as the basswood bodies in the showcase! I may need to rethink this. I had a basswood star from Warmoth that was so neck heavy. I cannot go that route again. Damn! This sucks.

I don't think you have to worry.  My Explorer Voodoo is a Swamp Ash body, and it's fairly substantial.  It might be a bit tricky to locate the strap buttons with a bolt on neck (since the neck button would be directly in the center of the neckplate...)  But the weight of the body should help keep the balance more on the body's side.

You can also put the strap button higher than the mid line of the guitar and use the guitars weight vs the neck weight better.  Not quite traditional, but you will be able to balance the guitar nicely if you are willing to play with it for a while.
Patrick

I swear if I buy a swamp ash explorer from Warmoth and it's neck heavy I will quit playing guitar. :tard:

GoDrex said:
I swear if I buy a swamp ash explorer from Warmoth and it's neck heavy I will quit playing guitar. :tard:

I don't think you have to worry about that.  The explorer has a lot more body to it than the star body you mentioned above.

If it makes you feel any better, I have a wenge neck on a chambered black korina strat and it has a perfect balance,.  The body on that strat is 3 lbs and change.

Yeah Doc, I do hope that that triangle hunk of wood they chop out of the body is enough to balance it. I'm glad your light body balances well, but remember that a strat balances better because the top horn sticks way out over the neck. With an Explorer you either have to put the top peg like on a les paul (though on an LP your peg is at around the 15th fret - on an Explorer it's near the end of the neck) or drill a hole through the neck plate and put it on there. I just wish I knew for sure that it would work before sinking a grand into it. (I also don't feel like putting holes in the finish moving the pegs around trying to find a good spot)

Latest update on the V - I've been patiently putting on layers of tung oil (currently about 10 coats, waiting 4-5 days between each coat), and I think I'm getting close.  Maybe another coat or two and then I'll let it cure for a few weeks.  It's been coming along nicely, and once I finish up the last coat I'll be sure to post pics so everybody can see how it looks.

I'll probably start assembling it in 3-4 weeks.  I have all of the parts now - ordered the Rio Grande TX/BBQ set for P/U's based on all of the recommendations here...can't wait to hear how they sound!

On the balance question - I guess I'll wait until final assembly is complete and then try taping the strap to a few places to check the balance before I drill the holes for the strap buttons.  It "seemed" pretty well balanced when I put the neck on before finishing, but that was w/o hardware...hopefully there won't be any issues.

Jmohill said:
once I finish up the last coat I'll be sure to post pics so everybody can see how it looks.

I guess I'll wait until final assembly is complete and then try taping the strap to a few places to check the balance before I drill the holes for the strap buttons. 

#1st: You'd better put a preview here... You don't know how DANGEROUS my dear friend GoDrex is  :evil4: He would not like to wait  :icon_jokercolor:

#2nd: Nice idea! If you get in doubt, put where the Gibby uses to put it... Will at least give it a "traditional" feeling (or a traditional neck diving feeling  :laughing7:)

GoDrex said:
I just wish I knew for sure that it would work before sinking a grand into it. (I also don't feel like putting holes in the finish moving the pegs around trying to find a good spot)

Bloke, try to do what or frien above is thinking, or put drill it in the "highest" point of the top peg (to me it's like: how much more close the center in the "neck" drill, it's easier to get a weird balance... But I may be wrong, never played on a V or Explorer)

I used to own a V. The strap pegs went on the very end of the top V "leg" and near where the neck joins the body. Never had a problem with it being neck heavy. But I'm pretty sure it was all mahogany so the body would obviouslly outweigh the neck. This is why I'm scared of wenge on swamp ash - and why I wish warmoth would put up the weights of necks as well as the weight of the bodies so I could make an educated guess.

this V has them in a different spot - -
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a4/Epiphone_flying_v_guitar_svg.svg/800px-Epiphone_flying_v_guitar_svg.svg.png

i notice epiphone puts their pegs in a different place from gibson

I'm trying sooo hard to be patient about seeing this thing finished. i got to admit I was skeptical when I heard wenge neck. I mean, I've loved wenge as a four-stringer wood for a while but I had thought it would be neck heavy on a guitar. Now I see how pretty it is and I'm sure with a little forethought in regards to design it would be amazing. That build is beautiful

Back