Darken Black Korina?

alexreinhold

I recently ordered a Black Korina Flying V (can't wait!) and I am now starting to contemplate how to finish it. I built this LP in the past with tru oil and it looks stunning:

WhatsApp Image 2024-03-18 at 11.51.40.jpeg

For my new V, I was wondering if there's a way to replicate this finish but darken the wood without losing the effect of the beautiful accents of Black Korina. Has anyone tried something like this? Any ideas?

Hmm maybe a diluted stain or dye before the Tru Oil? Maybe you could try staining with some coffee?

Definitely something you'd want to test first before trying it on the body.

Hmm maybe a diluted stain or dye before the Tru Oil? Maybe you could try staining with some coffee?

Definitely something you'd want to test first before trying it on the body.
Yeah I'd love to try but I have no clue where to get my hands on a piece of Black Korina in Germany :-/

Never tried it. I have a BK build planned and going to finish it in Tru Oil. If I wanted to darken, I’d experiment with some brown dye mixed in.

Do you have an example pic of what you’re trying to achieve?

Actually, now that I think about it more, I wait on that. I think I might make sure the pores are open (bristle brush), and dye them with multi quick wipe ons/offs. Get the recessed grain pores dark. Then proceed. If we just darken everything uniformly, I think you’ll lose contrast.

There’s your answer. Update your order to Tobacco Burst satin. But without the dark edges. Comm the W and see if they can do it.

Actually, now that I think about it more, I wait on that. I think I might make sure the pores are open (bristle brush), and dye them with multi quick wipe ons/offs. Get the recessed grain pores dark. Then proceed. If we just darken everything uniformly, I think you’ll lose contrast.
I like this. I did a similar thing with my doghair tele. I could just go into the pores with, say, a brown dye and the rest away with steel wool. Afterwards, I could then just apply the Tru Oil.
There’s your answer. Update your order to Tobacco Burst satin. But without the dark edges. Comm the W and see if they can do it.
Nope :) Won't ever build a guitar without finishing it myself ;-)
oh wow. Amazing shop - thanks!

OK, I managed to get a Black Korina blank to practice (will arrive in 10 days). My idea is to do the following:

- sand down to 320 or a bit lower
- use a metal brush to open the pores
- wipe on dark brown dye/stain/glaze with a tshirt
- wipe off dye/stain/glaze with 000 steel wool (so that it the dye/stain glaze exclusively stays in the grain)
- apply numerous coats of tru oil and supplemental birchwood casey products

Anything I might be missing?

Maybe try a similar schedule in addition without the metal brush step for comparison purposes. You could also try the Birchwood Casey Walnut Stain.

Maybe try a similar schedule in addition without the metal brush step for comparison purposes. You could also try the Birchwood Casey Walnut Stain.
Oh, that's a very good recommendation. And not too expensive either.

I will try a bunch of different combinations, really curious how Korina will react to my ideas :)

Alright, I have some first insights. What I did:
  • sand down to 240 3 times, and apply water to raise the grain in between
  • use a metal brush to open pores
  • clean with window wipe and let dry
So far, I did:
  • top left: chestnut sanding sealer (will use BC walnut stain here tonight)
  • top right: chestnut sanding sealer (will use glaze here tonight)
  • bottom left: walnut stain without any sealer (tried to wipe off with 000 steel wool with no success, as can be seen)
  • bottom right: BC filler and sealer (will use BC walnut stain here tonight)

IMG_2456.jpg

Back