7/8 Size - 24 Fret = 24 3/4" Scale - Black Korina

Another stunner.
Damn you guys really know how to put a guitar together.

<n00b stare> :tard:

So here's a question about 7/8 scale bodies -

If you had a 7/8 scale Stratocaster body, everything is routed for the same size hardware - but would you have to have a 7/8 pickguard cut to fit the shape? Or would it just be a larger guard on a smaller body? It seems like a regular sized guard would be too big or fit strangely.

Just curious.  :dontknow:

Creepies said:

If you had a 7/8 scale Stratocaster body, everything is routed for the same size hardware - but would you have to have a 7/8 pickguard cut to fit the shape? Or would it just be a larger guard on a smaller body? It seems like a regular sized guard would be too big or fit strangely.

The only current offering is rear rout only.  No pickguard.

Wyliee said:
Creepies said:

Thanks Wyliee - -

Any plans for a top route in the future?

rodlabjr said:
WOW this guitar just blew me away!

Gregg, can you tell me how much would this guitar cost me? I'm planning on ordering one myself.   :icon_biggrin:
The body is only $50 more than a regular body and the Peghead is an extra $45 since they have to carve it by hand. Other than that, you can price the rest off the Warmoth site. The access to the high notes is amazing. I wish more people could experience these particular builds.

Creepies said:
Wyliee said:
Creepies said:

Thanks Wyliee - -

I'll probably get in trouble for this one but we can actually do a top rout right now. Our old wood patterns for the pickguard fell apart so we can't make a pickguard for it. Ken doesn't want to offer the top rout version without being able to provide a pickguard which makes good business sense.

CarteBlanche said:
Would there be any issues if I wanted a 25.5 inch scale?  Would the high fret access still be amazing?
This is only avaiable to 24.75" scale with 24 frets... :icon_thumright:

This is so weird.  I came here to ask about 7/8 sized bodies, and I see this thread!  I'm pinching myself.

When Gregg said that we can get any body as a 7/8 version for a $50 surcharge, does that mean any body can come with a 15% overall reduction in size? Or did he mean any body can come with the bridge moved towards the neck?  Or did he just mean it's an option on [edit: soloist] bodies?  Would a 7/8 body have any problem fitting a neck with a 1 and 7/8" nut width?

Gregg said:
Creepies said:
Wyliee said:
Creepies said:

Thanks Wyliee - -

I'll probably get in trouble for this one but we can actually do a top rout right now. Our old wood patterns for the pickguard fell apart so we can't make a pickguard for it. Ken doesn't want to offer the top rout version without being able to provide a pickguard which makes good business sense.
Is the old wood template not able to be pieced back together to make a new template? :icon_scratch:

I might still have a 7/8 size Strat pickguard from the 90s lying around in my parts box.  I will try to find it and post it on a PDF file here for those who may want to make their own pickguard.

I think it's cool that this thread is still giving people GAS two years after Gregg first posted it.

tfarny said:
I think it's cool that this thread is still giving people GAS two years after Gregg first posted it.
Not many things do that. Not even that "special" bean burrito.

Question -

If you had a 7/8 scale body with three single coils, would the shortened distance between pickups have any limiting effects on the sound or tonal options of the guitar? I can't seem to find this question answered anywhere, and I'd really like to know.  Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out here  :icon_smile:

I'll try that one - the placement of the pickups on a Strat result in certain sounds because of where they are - PROPORTIONATE to overall string length. If a pickup is "biting off" a string at 40% of it's length, it's going to take the same tonal sample regardless of length (disregarding the obvious difference in brightness a longer string tuned to the same pitch will exhibit).

So, the exact question you want to ask of Warmoth (or a 7/8ths guitar owner) is whether the pickup placement has been adjusted, proportionately, to the overall scale length. Everything effects everything.... :-\ If I had a Strat and I really wanted to know the answer, I would measure each pickup's distance from the nut and calculate that as a percentage of 25.5". Then I would multiply that by the smaller scale length, and ask Warmoth "is the neck pickups at X? Is the middle pick at Y? Is the bridge pickup here?" etc. For what it's worth, Warmoth can put pickups anywhere you specify too, for a charge.
:blob7:

What Stubby's saying sounds right. The neck pickup is moved down, I think. It's normally at the 24th fret position, right?

stubhead said:
I'll try that one - the placement of the pickups on a Strat result in certain sounds because of where they are - PROPORTIONATE to overall string length. If a pickup is "biting off" a string at 40% of it's length, it's going to take the same tonal sample regardless of length (disregarding the obvious difference in brightness a longer string tuned to the same pitch will exhibit).

So, the exact question you want to ask of Warmoth (or a 7/8ths guitar owner) is whether the pickup placement has been adjusted, proportionately, to the overall scale length. Everything effects everything.... :-\ If I had a Strat and I really wanted to know the answer, I would measure each pickup's distance from the nut and calculate that as a percentage of 25.5". Then I would multiply that by the smaller scale length, and ask Warmoth "is the neck pickups at X? Is the middle pick at Y? Is the bridge pickup here?" etc. For what it's worth, Warmoth can put pickups anywhere you specify too, for a charge.
:blob7:

That clears up a lot for me Stubhead, I appreciate it. I've got another one for you, though  :icon_biggrin:

So now that I'm at a greater understanding of the pickup placement in relation to the string length, what about their relation to each other? Is the magnetism of the pickups in any way jeopardized now that they're closer together?

I'm asking becuase I've been told that having the pickups so close together will make them all sound the same when using a strat's 5 way switch, and I don't quite understand the mechanics of it all. I like having a lot of tonal variation in my guitars, so this would seriously hinder any future plans for a 7/8 build.

This is still pretty much the "baddest" strat upgrades I've ever seen, no matter when I view this guitar It always looks fresh.  :guitaristgif:

Back