7/8 Size - 24 Fret = 24 3/4" Scale - Black Korina

Creepies said:
stubhead said:
I'll try that one - the placement of the pickups on a Strat result in certain sounds because of where they are - PROPORTIONATE to overall string length. If a pickup is "biting off" a string at 40% of it's length, it's going to take the same tonal sample regardless of length (disregarding the obvious difference in brightness a longer string tuned to the same pitch will exhibit).

So, the exact question you want to ask of Warmoth (or a 7/8ths guitar owner) is whether the pickup placement has been adjusted, proportionately, to the overall scale length. Everything effects everything.... :-\ If I had a Strat and I really wanted to know the answer, I would measure each pickup's distance from the nut and calculate that as a percentage of 25.5". Then I would multiply that by the smaller scale length, and ask Warmoth "is the neck pickups at X? Is the middle pick at Y? Is the bridge pickup here?" etc. For what it's worth, Warmoth can put pickups anywhere you specify too, for a charge.
:blob7:

That clears up a lot for me Stubhead, I appreciate it. I've got another one for you, though  :icon_biggrin:

So now that I'm at a greater understanding of the pickup placement in relation to the string length, what about their relation to each other? Is the magnetism of the pickups in any way jeopardized now that they're closer together?

I'm asking becuase I've been told that having the pickups so close together will make them all sound the same when using a strat's 5 way switch, and I don't quite understand the mechanics of it all. I like having a lot of tonal variation in my guitars, so this would seriously hinder any future plans for a 7/8 build.

I just put together a 7/8 Strat style build with 3 single coil pickups and a 5-way switch. Sounds like a Strat with the pickup sound variations you would expect.

Superbeast520 said:
This is still pretty much the "baddest" strat upgrades I've ever seen, no matter when I view this guitar It always looks fresh.  :guitaristgif:
Thanks Superbeast.  I added a D-tuna to it and it is covers all the bases in one of the cover bands I play in where I do not get the luxury of multiple guitars on stage.

Two less strings and an extra 9 1/4" on the scale, it'd be perfect.

Pics Please...........lol..............gotta have pics on your new variation Greg...lol...love that 7/8 body build....Im actually surprised its not a featured body type in the body type selection dept. you guys offer. I know Warmoth offers so much variety already, though  I think Im not alone in saying having seen this build of yours in particular certainly excites the guitar building senses. Fender came out with some pretty cool guitars that crossed over into more of the rock/metal guitar territory, though they never really caught on so I guess Im not surprised this hasn't been given more attention, though I would have to say, to me ,the 7/8 guitars look even more hardcore and interesting than say the soloist style does....though I know the soloist crowd has a larger following, because of the deep cutaways and the whole Jackson/shreddster thing.
Definantly would like to see more pics. :headbang:

Gregg said:
I just put together a 7/8 Strat style build with 3 single coil pickups and a 5-way switch. Sounds like a Strat with the pickup sound variations you would expect.

As the main moderator you should give us example! No pics = never existed!!!!

Coming soon to the Warmoth website...

7-8th-TobaccoBurst.jpg

So, you guys just took some factory seconds and threw ~something~ together as quickly as possible?
:icon_jokercolor:

Awesome Greg, looks even better in Triplets..lol!!!  Im certain you could mass market those babies given the chance.  Thanks for the pics, and wonderful to hear it being made more public, I hope it catches on and earns its own space in the Gallery, you've certainly gotten it off to a good start.  :hello2:

Gregg said:
NonsenseTele said:
Gregg Stewart said:
It shouldn't be. The wires exited the pickup on the end that goes to the control cavity.

I didn't understand very well  :sad1: perhaps English skill issues... :icon_biggrin:
On the 4th pic, the name RioGrande is upside down  :)

You said it's upside down because of the lenght of the wires of the pickup?
(i'm thinking in travel to a english language country in my vacation, perhaps I get better english skills...)

Unfortunately Rio Grande wasn't very responsive when I inquired on the same thing in regards to which way the pickup mounted and I tried it both ways...much better response/sound/output w/the Rio Grande Logo the "right way" in my Lola.

The wires came out of the end of the pickup closest to the controls and that's what I went by when I installed it. I'll call Rio Grande and ask them if I have it in upside down though I don't think it affects the sound any.

I saw Black Korina necks in some of the older threads, but it's not on the website. Is it still an option? Will the 7/8 necks have other headstocks available?

swarfrat said:
I saw Black Korina necks in some of the older threads, but it's not on the website. Is it still an option? Will the 7/8 necks have other headstocks available?

Sorry, we're out of black korina neck blanks for the time being.  Only the warhead is available on 7/8 necks at this time.

Gregg,

Where did you get that decal? From W itself, or did you have it made? I'm looking for a custom decal maker that will deal/work with chrome (and preferrably the darkish
chrome just like your W decal). Any suggestions?

Thanks!

ORC

ORCRiST said:
Gregg,

Where did you get that decal? From W itself, or did you have it made? I'm looking for a custom decal maker that will deal/work with chrome (and preferrably the darkish

Pretty sure this is the decal on the strat:
http://www.warmoth.com/Warmoth-Metal-Decal-Chrome-P66C219.aspx

As for a custom chrome decal, 'fraid I won't be of much help there  :dontknow:

-Michael

ORCRiST said:
Gregg,

Thanks!

ORC

I've got that decal on both my Warmoths now, and they do look really good. As Mr. Marino pointed out, they're for sale here for $3.75 each in either chrome, smoked chrome (to match up nicely with black hardware), or gold.

One of mine I couldn't get the "Made in USA" part to transfer right, so I ended up having to leave it off. It's not like a waterslide decal where the whole thing transfers or doesn't, the letters are actually individually die-cut out of a heavy gauge foil with adhesive applied to the bottom side, then sandwiched between two pieces of release paper.

So, to apply it, you remove the release paper on the adhesive (bottom) side, allowing the release paper on the beauty (top) side to keep all the letters aligned. You locate it where you want it, and press it in place. The adhesive on the bottom side of the letters is stronger than it is on the beauty side, so it sticks to whatever you're applying it to - presumably a headstock - and when you remove the paper on the beauty side, the letters stay in place where you stuck 'em. Except, the "Made in USA" letters are pretty small and fragile, so they may not grab as well as you'd like and the release paper on the beauty side wants to pull them back off the headstock. It takes some patience to get it to work, and in the end, it may not. It don't take much to wreck 'em. But, the "Warmoth" letters transfer easily enough, so you get the headline. Once they're on and the release paper removed, there's no glue on the beauty side, so you can put a little pressure on them to seat them good. I don't know if the adhesive dries or cures, but after a little time, those babies are on there good and tight.

so what this thread tells me is.. I wait long enough... there could be a Korina on Korina guitar in my future...

just gotta wait for some black Korina neck blanks to come around...

so, here's a question . . . can you do the Warmoth Warhead headstock with binding?

Back