7/8 Size - 24 Fret = 24 3/4" Scale - Black Korina

Im planning to build one of these (OR a Soloist, I have trouble deciding) =).

May I ask HOW slinky the strings feel on this one? With what string gauge ?
I've never played a short scale guitar with a trem so the "slinkieness" kind of worries me and makes me think about Soloists :D My Strat have 09s and I find them just a bit too "slinky".

My hands are not abnormally small but sometimes when playing my Am Dlx Strat I find myself wishing both for a Wizard neck and a shorter scale length.

I wonder what string gauge you'd have to use to somewhat approximate the feel of a standard strat.. hmm(?) 11s?

It's tough to say. But, strings are cheap. If it feels too slinky, then the next time you change strings go up a gauge set. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Cagey said:
It's tough to say. But, strings are cheap. If it feels too slinky, then the next time you change strings go up a gauge set. Lather, rinse, repeat.

True, if you're using a floyd its very easy. I wont, and ive never messed around with nut cutting so Im looking for hints anywere I can =).
Was going to get an Earvana equipped neck and I wouldnt want to mess it up (?). Learning curve is at "0" atm soo =D

clewnii said:
Cagey said:
True, if you're using a floyd its very easy. I wont, and ive never messed around with nut cutting so Im looking for hints anywere I can =).
Was going to get an Earvana equipped neck and I wouldnt want to mess it up (?). Learning curve is at "0" atm soo =D
If you change string gauges on a fully floating floyd, you'll probably need to also adjust spring tension.

The conventional wisdom on string gauges is:
25.5" 9's = 24.75" 10's
25.5" 10's = 24.75" 11's
It seems more-or-less true, though every guitar is different, three stre--etched whammy springs act different than four springs on vacation  :cool01: - etc.

In general I find that regular string sets are a little un-balanced, whammy-wise - light top/heavy bottom sets work better, or at least boost yer low E a few thousandths. I particularly like the Eric Johnson GHS Nickel sets, they run 10 - 50 and 11 to 52. With diligence, you can find them for $4.50 or so, some peeps try to get "Santana" prices for them, $6.95 and shite.  :evil4: Grr. Some people get fanatic enough to assemble their own string sets out of singles for each particular guitar, it often helps to fuss with the "G" string a bit too. Known as "the devil string" for darn good reasons...

ADDENDUM-DE-DUM-DUM: Re. nuts, slotting, making etc., whatever you do don't NOT buy Dan Erlewine's "Guitar Player Repair Guide."
http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Player-Repair-Guide-Book/dp/0879309210/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1

In fact, whatever you do don't NOT buy that book. Read through every section that pertains to what you need to do to build a Warmoth, and at the very least you'll have an extremely good idea of what you can't do - yet. There are things like finishing and fret ends and... nuts, that aren't really a swell thing to try to teach yourself on a $1000 project. Erlewine's book is available all over the place, you'll surely be running across Stew-Mac and LMII in your travels soon.  I've actually found I can do maybe 75% of the nut work I need with just two files from LMII - the FSKN and the FPIP. But it takes a while to learn why and how to do the things that are needed - "Erlewine." And they lie, you still need a little saw to do the high E and B strings.

What's the fretboard overhang like on this? To my eyes, it looks like there is none.... I would build one of these just for that!

Glad to see how nice this turned out. I'm going to be putting together a 7/8 project at some point... good motivation!

Paul-less said:
What's the fretboard overhang like on this? To my eyes, it looks like there is none.... I would build one of these just for that!

If you check out the neck showcase you can see that there seems to be about as much overhang as on a regular 25,5 neck with 22 frets.

clewnii said:
Paul-less said:

If you check out the neck showcase you can see that there seems to be about as much overhang as on a regular 25,5 neck with 22 frets.
Yep, that's about right. Also, I'm running 11-52 gage string set with a D-Tuna on the Floyd now. I put Graphite saddles on and TV Jones Powerton pickups in. This guitar is performing extremely well. Playing live shows every weekend with it.

Hold on.. 24 frets, no overhang, at approximately the location of a 21 fret neck @ 25.5"... I'm a bit confused. What does 7/8 scale do to the where the 12th fret sits while hanging from a strap? Does it move it forward or back? 

swarfrat said:
Hold on.. 24 frets, no overhang, at approximately the location of a 21 fret neck @ 25.5"... I'm a bit confused. What does 7/8 scale do to the where the 12th fret sits while hanging from a strap? Does it move it forward or back? 
Check out the pictures on the first page of this thread to see where everything lands.

stubhead said:
ADDENDUM-DE-DUM-DUM: Re. nuts, slotting, making etc., whatever you do don't NOT buy Dan Erlewine's "Guitar Player Repair Guide."
http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Player-Repair-Guide-Book/dp/0879309210/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1

In fact, whatever you do don't NOT buy that book. Read through every section that pertains to what you need to do to build a Warmoth, and at the very least you'll have an extremely good idea of what you can't do - yet. There are things like finishing and fret ends and... nuts, that aren't really a swell thing to try to teach yourself on a $1000 project. Erlewine's book is available all over the place, you'll surely be running across Stew-Mac and LMII in your travels soon.  I've actually found I can do maybe 75% of the nut work I need with just two files from LMII - the FSKN and the FPIP. But it takes a while to learn why and how to do the things that are needed - "Erlewine." And they lie, you still need a little saw to do the high E and B strings.

What do you think about his other book, "How to Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0879306017/ref=pd_1ctyhuc__sim_01_01

Is it just a rehash of the Repair Guide, or is it different enough to make it worth buying?

Gregg said:
CD said:
Gregg you wrote that it's a 24 3/4 scale neck, but no overhang with the 24 frets. Can I order a neck like that with a strat headstock?
Yes, but it's important to note that it does not work with a standard 25 1/2" scale body. You can have any flat top body "short-scaled" for $50 where they move the pickups and bridge placement slightly by hand to accomodate such a neck. A 7/8 strat-style body is made specifically for that neck. You can also get a tilt back of any peghead shape too. No extra charge for these necks, but you have to pair them up with a body made for it. The easy access to the higher frets is so cool!  :icon_thumright:

Okay, if thats all the extra THIS feature costs... I'm sold on it. easily.

AGWAN said:
Gregg said:
CD said:
Gregg you wrote that it's a 24 3/4 scale neck, but no overhang with the 24 frets. Can I order a neck like that with a strat headstock?
Yes, but it's important to note that it does not work with a standard 25 1/2" scale body. You can have any flat top body "short-scaled" for $50 where they move the pickups and bridge placement slightly by hand to accomodate such a neck. A 7/8 strat-style body is made specifically for that neck. You can also get a tilt back of any peghead shape too. No extra charge for these necks, but you have to pair them up with a body made for it. The easy access to the higher frets is so cool!  :icon_thumright:

Okay, if thats all the extra THIS feature costs... I'm sold on it. easily.

Wait . . . let me get this straight . . . I can order a 24 3/4 scale neck with a STRAT style headstock, and it will be compatible with a 7/8 SCALE BODY??? (or is there a difference between 24 3/4 necks made for "short scaled" bodies and those made for "7/8 Scale" bodies???)

I think what he's saying is YOU CAN NOT get a strat headstock on that scale... but that the 7/8 bodies are meant for it.

well, that's what I had heard in the past, but you asked if you could get the 24 fret, 24 3/4 neck WITH a strat headstock, and he said "YES".

The only thing he said NO to was using the conversion neck with a 25 1/2 scale body (as near as I can make out)

That is what he said.

That being said, I don't think that's what he meant. There are 2 DIFFERENT 24 3/4 scale neck types,

one HERE: http://www.warmoth.com/Pages/ClassicShowcase.aspx?Shape=61&nScale=304&Path=78Series,Necks&Body=1

Made for the 7/8 bodies ONLY, and

HERE: http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseNeck.aspx?i=SN9216&Body=1&Path=Neck

Made for CONVERTED bodies.

Disco Scottie said:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0879306017/ref=pd_1ctyhuc__sim_01_01

Is it just a rehash of the Repair Guide, or is it different enough to make it worth buying?

Never read, but every single luthier I know says: "read this book before trying building something" and the book they say is this one:
http://www.warmoth.com/Make-Your-Own-Electric-Guitar-by-Melvyn-Hiscock-P56C213.aspx
http://www.amazon.com/Make-Your-Own-Electric-Guitar/dp/0953104907

As this is older and the title is VERY close, I'm just suspicious about Mr Erlewine... he has a good reputation, but making a book with that close title is just NOT cool on my mind

The 24 fret, 24 3/4" scale neck will only fit our 7/8 bodies, Mustang bodies, Jaguar bodies, Jagstang bodies and any bodies we "short scale". You cannot get a Fender shaped peghead on this neck. By default we put the Warhead peghead shape on these necks but we can do almost any shape including tilt back construction. (Again, no Fender shapes). This neck has a 1/2" fretboard overhang at the 24th fret.

The 22 fret, 24 3/4" conversion neck does come with Fender shaped heads among others. It does not intonate correctly on our 7/8 bodies, Mustang bodies, Jaguar bodies, Jagstang bodies and any bodies we "short scale". It only fits standard 25 1/2" scaled bodies as it is meant to covert them to 24 3/4" scale. This neck has a 1/2" fretboard overhang at the 22nd fret.

Hope that makes sense. It is a bit confusing.  :tard:

gotcha.  :icon_thumright: Just to be clear, tho . . . there's nothing stopping me from buying the neck for the 7/8 in a paddlehead and then shaping it like a strat headstock, right?  :laughing7:

Back