24 3/4 conversion strat take two

Well, I started hand polishing with the 3M stuff and I'm like "this is gonna take forever"  :sad: So I found a buffing thing in the cabinet, and wire tied 2 cotton sock toe ends to it, to make a fluffy ball thing that I used in the cordless drill. Worked great! Followed up with the swirl remover by hand. Just need to get some wax for it. The dirty scratched pickguard now looks like crap compared to the body.  :tard: :laughing3:

Wow! That looks fantastic! You must be very pleased! Didn't get to do it doggy style, but maybe next time.

Whoa. 

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

Thanks, took most of the day but it was fun!  :icon_biggrin: The pic with a DSLR bugs me... It's NOT that red!!!
I don't know what's with that camera, my phone takes more accurate pics.  :tard: So I took a pic, with my phone, of the body next to an actual red guitar, a mahogany Santana SE. It's pretty much Gibson's heritage cherry that's on SGs and such. I mixed red and brown for the burst, and that's pretty much what it looks like.

I used to use a Canon Powershot A570 that returned pics with freakishly green greens. Lawns, trees, bushes, etc. looked like they'd been painted. Not sure what was going on with that unit, and never did figure it out. It had other problems that drove me to replace it, so that solved that problem.

It's a Nikon D800, taking pics of red flowers blows the red out, so I guess it overdoes reds.

Body is all put together!  :hello2:  I'll put the neck on this weekend. It's a 24 3/4" all roasted maple conversion neck. :headbang:  I usually beat the crap out of my guitars, I'm gonna be afraid to play this thing!

That just may be the prettiest burst I've seen. Outstanding blend of colors.

I agree. Excellent combination of color over some nice grain with well-matched hardware/electronics. If it plays half as good as it looks, it'll be a real slice of heaven.

Whoa, that's freak'n awesome! Beautiful results on that body!

As far as the Nikon giving you too much red, you might want to check your color settings. Is it set for sRGB? If it's set for Adobe color space, the colors tend to shift a little in translation to standard sRGB, giving over saturated reds. Just a thought.....

Thanks everyone! The camera is in sRGB, wonder if it doesn't like the fluorescent lighting. :dontknow:

Tonight I took the neck off the temp guitar and started working on it. I got it early May and have been playing it constantly. Its an 11/16" with a fatback profile. Love it! It measures 0.985" all the way across. The only thing that I felt could use a change is the nut to 3rd open chord area. A little too chunky there. So tonight I re-profiled that area, brought it down to 0.920 with an ever so slight vee. Tapered it to the 7th fret where it's 0.985 again. Then I had to re-burnish it. For some reason, I'm hankerin' for some pancakes  :laughing11:

fuzznut said:
Thanks everyone! The camera is in sRGB, wonder if it doesn't like the fluorescent lighting. :dontknow:

Florescent lamps come in a number of colors that all look white to the eye for the most part, but have spikes in the spectrum to achieve different effects like making the contents of the butcher's showcase look more attractive than just a pile of dead animal muscles. Our brains do a surprising amount of correction we're not conscious of to satisfy expectations, but cameras don't so you get unusual results sometimes.

Cagey said:
fuzznut said:

Florescent lamps come in a number of colors that all look white to the eye for the most part, but have spikes in the spectrum to achieve different effects like making the contents of the butcher's showcase look more attractive than just a pile of dead animal muscles. Our brains do a surprising amount of correction we're not conscious of to satisfy expectations, but cameras don't so you get unusual results sometimes.
Exactly. I'm sure your camera has a custom white balance feature, I know I use it with my D300. Use it to make a close-up exposure of a piece of white paper under the light in question. I've used it with very good results even under sodium vapor lamps, which usually produce the most God-awful, hideous, school bus yellow cast you can imagine! I must say though, that if those shots are in Auto-WB mode, they look pretty darned good.  :sign13:

Done!!!!!!!!  :blob7: :hello2: :bananaguitar: :cool01: :turtle: :headbang:

The neck heel is contoured, and the neck sanded back all the way to the heel. The 22nd fret is further away on the conversion necks, and this will make it easier to reach.

stratamania said:
Looks very good. You must be pleased.

Yeah I'm happy, but that was a lot of work. I think my next guitar will be pushing the "buy" button on the showcase page.  :toothy11:

Back