24 3/4 conversion strat take two

ByteFrenzy said:
Matter of taste. I really really like it.

Yeah I still like it, at least I can say I did it myself, first time. If you look a couple of posts up at the back of the amp pic, there's a genuine Warmoth tobacco sunburst strat on the right. I was trying to do that. It's supposed to be just the edge, but I sprayed unevenly, and kept going in a little at a time to try to fix it. Next thing I knew 1/3 of the guitar is now the burst color  :doh: :doh:

Yo're not alone. I have a Strat that's still unassembled for the same reason. Got a little too ambitious with the edging and while it looks good nekkid, when you put a pickguard/bridge on it you can barely tell it's a burst  :laughing7:

IS that the mahogany one you did with the potassium chromate, Cagey?  Kinda wondered what ever happened to that build...

Cagey said:
Yo're not alone. I have a Strat that's still unassembled for the same reason. Got a little too ambitious with the edging and while it looks good nekkid, when you put a pickguard/bridge on it you can barely tell it's a burst  :laughing7:

You made me investigate. Ack, you're right!! I guess it more of a "2-tone" than a burst!

Bagman67 said:
IS that the mahogany one you did with the potassium chromate, Cagey?  Kinda wondered what ever happened to that build...

That's the one. It's just sitting in a case along with all its parts, rotting...

fuzznut said:
You made me investigate. Ack, you're right!! I guess it more of a "2-tone" than a burst!

Yours still came out better than mine...

IMG_1208_Sm.JPG

Damn. I had forgotten how badly I screwed that up. Also, how long ago that was - 2011!

Wow is that a tint or opaque?? Well, it's a good candidate for a clear pickguard :glasses10:

It started off as a beautiful one-piece Mahogany body, on which I did an experiment using Potassium Dichromate to raise the tannins in the wood to darken it using it's own natural pigments. Furniture people have been doing it for years, as it creates a deeper color that won't show dings and dents as easily. Also doesn't get in the way of the wood's natural chatoyance like an applied finish does. Works well with naturally high-tannin woods like Mahogany, Walnut, Cherry, Oak etc.

As things progressed, the end grain of the edges ended up darker, much like what would happen with stain/dye, but not evenly or attractively, so I decided to do a little staining and then burst it to a dark brown to hide the inconsistent/darker edge coloring. Things just went downhill from there.

If you're interested, here's the thread where I started into it, and things were still looking up.

Oh man, the body was looking REALLY good at post 13!! I love that what you did to it brought out the grain and striping of the mahogany, it looks better than koa! The darkened edges are natural, ahh regrets  :dontknow: It'll still be a stunner when you fix it  :icon_thumright:

I still have a bottle of anhydrous ammonia in the basement when I used to fume white oak. Talk about dangerous :tard: :eek: :eek:

You live and (hopefully) learn, right?

I'll probably end up stripping it and starting over. It's too nice a piece of Mahogany to be that thoroughly hidden. Plus, it's just lacquer. Stripping it will be easy.

Well, now I have to leave this thing alone for a couple of weeks and then I can polish it. The end is near!  :bananaguitar:

That switch is starting to look like Warsaw with all those poles.

swarfrat said:
That switch is starting to look like Warsaw with all those poles.
:laughing11: :laughing11: :laughing11: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3:

stratamania said:
What will the good fuzznut do with all those poles?

Make an equally ridiculous and overly-complicated circuit for active noise canceling when using the humbuckers in split mode.

fuzznut said:
stratamania said:
What will the good fuzznut do with all those poles?

Make an equally ridiculous and overly-complicated circuit for active noise canceling when using the humbuckers in split mode.

Sounds like a cunning plan  :icon_thumright:

Back