Wild Quilt body in; change in plans?

Well, spent the a.m. getting the body back to the original out-of box state, going to go check out some add'l stains today at a couple of stores, a couple of lessons learned I'll pass on:

1.) The StewMac brown grain filler doesn't play nice with the Korina, winds up looking orangish; ditto on some "saddle tan" leather dye; that looked great on the quilt maple, but when all orange on the Korina. While I'm re-evaluating the color scheme for the body, don't think I want to go black on the grain filler, so will wind up dying/staining the Korina and filling with clear grain filler.
2.) Natural mineral spirits will wash back the Woodburst transparent stain(s) as well as paint thinner; prefer to use that as it's less "nasty", but it is hard to wash back lighter colors, they seem to almost wipe off all the way.
3.) Some more experimentation to do, but it seems like I may need to use a darker hue of stain than originally planned or else there are issues getting color uniformity between the quilt maple & korina. If you look at all the finished quilt maple/korina bodies in the Showcase, with the exception of one all clear gloss they all have dark transparent or opaque finishes on the korina on the back bursted over the quilt; now I know why...

Wasn't happy with anything in the house, or could find locally; ordered more colors from Woodburst; hoping that the Bing Cherry is dark enough to fill the grain in the quilt and look even on the Korina back without shifting color too far, then sand/wash the quilt and fill with smoked pearl...

bingcherry.jpg

smokedpearl.jpg

Well now that I've got about every color of Tandy leather dye and Woodburst stain, I've been through a myriad of tests. Have had to rethink this finish a hundred times; trust me, the most challenging thing you'll ever tackle is quilt on korina, if I ever use this combo again I'll get a Warmoth finish.

Major issue is that the quilt won't take most dyes/stains that well, and the korina distorts a lot of colors, and more readily accepts the dyes/stain, but due to it's natural hues will change the color as compared to the quilt top. Most lighter browns will go orange on the korina. I had hoped that the Woodburst Bing Cherry would be dark enough to work, but it goes pinkish red on the quilt and funkier on the korina.

Didn't want to go black, due to the Pau Ferro neck, but that would be the best choice for this wood combo, or else after dying the top using a very dark or opaque toner burst over from the back.

FINALLY, the Tandy leather dyes come through. The buckskin went orangish on the back, but the medium brown is JUST RIGHT. Have to even it a bit and wash back a little, but this should be the ticket, FINALLY...

qmdfront.jpg
qmdback.jpg

Hummm It get nice, but won't it looks a little over-dark?  :icon_scratch:
Sometimes I feel it in that Strat that I made... Perhaps don't, because you won't put a burst...
Which color you have chosed to the pickups and hardware?

Color's not all done yet, but it will be a darker shade than what I first envisioned. All chrome hardware, cream pickup mounting rings, ivory knobs, chrome Rio Grande TX in neck/mid and BBQ in bridge.

Oops, hit the "post" instead of the preview button, losing light and weird shadowing, but the lower right quandrant around the control holes actually is about spot on for my POS digital camera reproduction. The back is just the two tone-ish korina with the medium brown Tandy leather dye, just darkened from the narural state with all the graining filled in dark.

Let sit over night and it's a couple of coats of sanding sealer and the quilt and the beginning of the semi-arduous task of filling all the korina grain befoer shooting nitro...

This is weird; the leather dye I used to dye the body was really hard to sand back even on the quilt side, but after doing the first grain fill on the korina side it all came back off just sanding back the StewMac clear filler, except for the darkening in the grain itself. Guess that korina won't absorb dye very deeply at all?

Jack, if you wanted to dye the top, at what point in your process would you do it? I got a real similar project ahead of me, except its tiger striped maple top, my customer (friend) wants a yellow-burst.

A guy at the wood store said i should dye the top, then apply boiled linseed oil over that to "pop" the grain, does that sound right?

Something about oil, then bursting with paint don't sound right, I didn't know you could paint over an oil finnish, or is linseed different?

I have followed all of yours and CB's posts concerning finnishing, but to be honest, I didn't take notes, and sometimes my brain goes democrat for a minute and I forget everything I learned  :laughing7:

Never heard anything about "popping grain" linseed oil...  If you're doing some kind of tiger burst you'd need to do the dark - I assume black? - then sand/wash back, That needs to completely dry back out, then apply the lighter - orange? - dye/stain, you may need to do more than one cost of the lighter color to get it to fully take/get an even application. Then you need to let that dry COMPLETELY, like most of a day in warm sun or 24+ hours indoors.

I've never seen any flame maple top that needed filling, once the color coats are completely dry you just need 2-4 coats of sanding sealer to seal the colors in real good, let that COMPLETELY dry, then you can do the top lacquer/poly gloss clear coats. If you are using lacquer and don;t follow the sealing step the lacquer may "melt"/run the color coats.

Go look all the way through CB's BFT Blue Flame Thinline threads, you'd just be subbing "tigerish" colors for the blue, I'd guess.

Alfang said:
I have followed all of yours and CB's posts concerning finnishing, but to be honest, I didn't take notes, and sometimes my brain goes democrat for a minute and I forget everything I learned  :laughing7:

Ok, if you're going to go political then I need to present to you the reason why God created republicans:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw[/youtube]

Phrygian said:
I should note, Bill Hicks was also a guitarist  :)

Tool- Aenima - Third Eye

Note:  I'm one of the fundamentalists...  I'm used to getting jabbed in the guts.  ehheheh... man this guy is funny though.

Wow, we used to go see Bill Hicks and Sam Kinison on the same bill up in Houston for 2 or 3 bucks a couple of times a month ages ago. Believe it or not, neither one of them was the funniest member of the "Houston Comedy Mafia", it also had a cat named Jimmy Pineapple that may have been the funniest human that ever walked the planet. There were so many stoned people on the stage those nights it was like a comedy version of the Grateful Dead.

Back from San Diego; should have all the fill done this weekend, and can finish lacquer coats the next week, so time to order PUs and the couple of misc. outstanding parts.

Now thinking about putting a Rio Grande TX BBQ set in neck and bridge positions and a SD Jazz or Pearly Gates in the mid position for a little different sound...

Back