Wild Quilt body in; change in plans?

jackthehack

Epic Member
Got the quilt top/korina body in today; had a major WTF moment after opening the box; I somehow managed to screwup the e-order, ordered a middle humbucker route I didn't mean to, and didn't double check the email back from Warmoth.  Bu3 t that's OK, now I just have to decide if I want to load up 3 'buckers like an LP/SG custom or get a set of three Bastard/Fat Bastard P-90s from Rio Grande with the middle RWRP and wire it up like a Strat... Peanut gallery ideas/suggestions? With the finish I'm going to attempt it's going to be way over the top anyway. Quilting on body looks even cooler/almost reptilian from Showcase pic; Pau Ferro/Ebony neck pictured below. Note: all hardware in this build will be chrome....

qmbare.jpg

pfneckfront.JPG

pfneckback.JPG

Still thinking of using the brown filler on the maple top Jack? I hope so cos I want to see how it looks!

Anyway, sure it will be cool,  love the neck!

Sure, going to try that just to see what happens; ordered some of CB's recommended Tandy leather dyes as a backup; need to check the yellow Woodburst dye I ordered anyway, it may be too bright yellow.

Was going to try to get that in this evening, but it may rain...

Well its like redheads.  No wait, blondes.  No wait, redheads.  No wait, Mexican food.  Ya don't have to eat the whole taco to know its got not much lettuce, questionable cheese and foreign salsa.  I mean don't ya just go nuts when you finally get that babe all liquored up and naked when.....
--- WE INTERRUPT THIS REPLY TO BRING YOU THE FOLLOWING BREAKING NEWS ---

Sept. 18th, 2007  Fort Blood, Florida
-CB- has just received notification from Quantumview that Warmoth Guitar Products has shipped a large parcel from its Pull'yall'up, Washington manufacturing facility.  His exclamation was "Good God man!, I''ll be a salted baybillie's uncle before that box gets here!".  Reportedly, the box has a shipping weight of nearly 3.5x10^-3 tons in weight.

--- BACK TO THE REGULARLY SCHEDULED REPLY ---
.....backdoor of the precinct house, because the head cop on duty felt bad for ya when he found out who she was?  Well its the same way with P94s ya know?

-CB- said:
-CB- has just received notification from Quantumview that Warmoth Guitar Products has shipped a large parcel from its Pull'yall'up, Washington manufacturing facility.  His exclamation was "Good God man!, I''ll be a salted baybillie's uncle before that box gets here!".  Reportedly, the box has a shipping weight of nearly 3.5x10^-3 tons in weight.

You poking at me for griping about shipping to Florida in one my last posts?  :)

To Soloschenko: Science experiment phase over; the StewMac brown filler a lot lighter brown than I expected; only part of quilt maple grain it will add any additional color to is the (grain?) edge of the laminate top. Looks good on the black korina back, though. On to next phase of properly dying and sanding back....

CB - I just happen to have a cream Rio Grande JazzBar (Jazzbars/Bastards pull 10.5K, BluesBars/Fat Bastards 12.5K) I can send you to try; got it this weekend at a local music store for $50 new as some idiot ordered it with a deposit and never came back. Will be going in my next Fenson '54 Goldtop project, but I could send it to you check out - you DO have to send it back....

Phrygian said:
-CB- said:

You poking at me for griping about shipping to Florida in one my last posts?  :)

Hell no!~  I'm griping at my 3.5x10^-3 tons of Warmoth stuff taking a week to get here!~

Is that US tons or metric tons?  Exactly how did you escape from the Village again?  :icon_scratch:  I forgot UK tons.  :)

jackthehack said:
To Soloschenko: Science experiment phase over; the StewMac brown filler a lot lighter brown than I expected; only part of quilt maple grain it will add any additional color to is the (grain?) edge of the laminate top. Looks good on the black korina back, though. On to next phase of properly dying and sanding back....

CB - I just happen to have a cream Rio Grande JazzBar (Jazzbars/Bastards pull 10.5K, BluesBars/Fat Bastards 12.5K) I can send you to try; got it this weekend at a local music store for $50 new as some idiot ordered it with a deposit and never came back. Will be going in my next Fenson '54 Goldtop project, but I could send it to you check out - you DO have to send it back....

Thanks... but... the jazzbar fits in p90 route yes? 

There is a very discernible difference between any of the HB size "P90s" and the real thing.  That difference is not in the impedance or DC resistance, but rather, in the shape of the coil itself.  Any of the HB sized single coils are really... if you examine them... heavy wound single bobbins, with steel poles and twin strong magnets under them.  They tend to be about as tall as they are wide.  Shape matters in coil design (ask yer Elmer, or any old radioman).  The low, wide coil of the P90 and for that matter, the Jazzmaster pickup, make for a totally different tone, and one that is not reproduced on the taller narrower coil of the HB sized "90esque" pickups.

However.... some of them really sound good in their own right, and I'm sure the RioGrande's do.  I know the P94s do too.  The P94 is very hot and heavy.  Its a bit more than a P90 really.  The Phat Cat is just the opposite - lighter, more open and less bottom, much like the sweeter P90's out there.

One of these days, I'll have to try a Covered Fat Bastard.

Near as i can tell the only difference between the Bars/Bastards is form factor. Jazz/BluesBars are regular "screw into the wood" P90 form factor.

If nothing else, these are the HEAVIEST P90s I've ever handled and they absolutely scream; haven't installed the JazzBar, but the BluesBar which is a bit "hotter"/ca. 20% more overwound absoluyely screams. These are probably closer to a P-94; much hotter/thicker than a stock/vintage Gibson P90.

They make some SC form factor "P-90"s, those are the "Dirty Harry" series, haven't tried those yet, may use one as bridge PU in my next "regular" Strat build whenever that happens....

OK, so here I am jumping right in the friggin middle of sumpthin,  but....one of my favorite guitar tones on this here planet is early Pete Townsend playing his Gibby with the P-90's.  I even have a buddy here in town who is the proud owner of a 63 Gibson SG with soapbars, that, for some reason, he let me play with a few times.  Now, keeping in mind that I have read elsewhere on this very forum that the original P-90's varied quite a bit, what should I be looking for if I'm going for that Live At Leeds sound?

since pete destroyed lots of SG's... hard to say even if those were consistant

however, something in the 8k range will be close, assuming alnicoV magnets, not ceramic

there are original p90's that went up...way over 10k... 12k... 14k, a rare find

most seem to be in that low to mid 8k range

and you need HiWatt DR103 amps, tons of em.

The Rio Grande P90s are all Alnico V and depending on model are 9.2, 10.5, and 12.5 K.

Did a first pass on dying the top, close but no cigar; it is almost right, but I'm having an issue with the darker dye penetrating evenly into the quilt top; luckily the yellow dye doesn't remain as bright when applied as in bottle. Any ideas on getting the darker color to penetrate more evenly? Sorry, but as usual the colors aren't reproduced percisely, but you should get the idea....

qmd1.jpg

jackthehack said:
The Rio Grande P90s are all Alnico V and depending on model are 9.2, 10.5, and 12.5 K.

Did a first pass on dying the top, close but no cigar; it is almost right, but I'm having an issue with the darker dye penetrating evenly into the quilt top; luckily the yellow dye doesn't remain as bright when applied as in bottle. Any ideas on getting the darker color to penetrate more evenly? Sorry, but as usual the colors aren't reproduced percisely, but you should get the idea....

qmd1.jpg

Alnico V and HOT crikey thats almost too hot (IMO).

That quilt looks very tasty indeed...  :glasses9:

Back