Wild Quilt body in; change in plans?

Wound up ordering an SD Jazz PU to stick in mid between the Rio Grande TX BBQ set; have what is hopefully the last fill in the korina; hope the weather holds this weekend so I can finish some lacquer coats.....

Now this is TRULY weird, but everything about this build has been so far... 

Did the last fill on the korina, first re-applying the Tandy Medium Brown dye, as the korina being real waxy won't absorb dye very deep
Sanded back to #320
Touched up edge in a couple of places with more dye
Shot a coat of sanding sealer...

It turned RED in places?????????? WTF????

:-\ Shit man!
But FWIW: When you get a troubled road to do something, at least you learn more than with a easy-ride!

wow... I NEVER had the Tandy Dye ever turn color on me.  Good God man, it must be some ethereal message!

Managed to get lacquer coats on ahead of the rain; the more I look at this I'm beginning to think it's turned out too dark to use the Pau Ferro/Ebony neck and I should get a sharp one piece birdeye or flame maple neck for this build and save the Pau Ferro neck for another build?

qmd41.jpg

qmd42.jpg

Thanks, but what do you think about the neck? Think it's going to look too dark with that finish? Here's the pics again:

pfneckfront.JPG

pfneckback.JPG

I don't think so, I think it will match amazing!
Only the chrome/nickel hardware that I think would looks better with gold ones

The guitar looks great!  You could've gone darker if you wanted to.  I think I want that neck wood for my next build.  It's gorgeous.  :guitaristgif:

Shane-O

You'd have to call Warmoth, they have Pau Ferro fretboards available, but it's been a while since I saw a Pau Ferro neck on the Showcase; I scored the neck on a deal from eBay. One note; Pau Ferro makes for a neck that is noticibly heavier than most any other wood choice I've worked with before....

As Eric have said good things of Purpleheart, I bought a lumber of it...
Well way heavier than mahogany...  :-\

NonsenseTele said:
As Eric have said good things of Purpleheart, I bought a lumber of it...
Well way heavier than mahogany...  :-\

You bought a tree???  A lumber??  What are you going to do with it?

Purpleheart does tend to be pretty dense.  Mahogany can vary in weight quite a bit.

-Eric.

Back