Well, I guess after number 3, comes number 4,...................................

Death by Uberschall

Master Member
I've decided to do another guitar. Nothing bright colored, nothing dyed, not dual humbuckered, and nothing over the top. Just something gorgeous in an exotic sort of way. Still need to work out some of the details with RobR. Not sure if I'll go normal or reversed on the Jackson headstock in the picture, or if I'll even use the Jackson style headstock at all.

The wood used in the mock-up below is the actual wood that'll be used for the top.

Koa%252520Soloist%252520Flame.JPG

Flat top Soloist
Flame Koa top
1-piece Mahogany body
Recessed TOM
Contoured heel
Gloss or Satin finish

Canary or Rosewood neck
Jet Black Ebony board
Pro Construction
24 fret
SS6100
59 Roundback carve
1 11/16 nut
Graphtech nut
Flame Koa veneer
No fret markers
No finish (except for the veneer to match the body)

Any thoughts?  :eek:ccasion14:

Love it, I personally say rev on the headstock... :headbang1:

Do a 2 or 3 piece rosewood body with strips of canary in between. With a canary accent between the top and back, then go with a canary neck... :rock-on:

Like this... :icon_biggrin:
backspdlx.jpg

finishspdlx.jpg

DangerousR6 said:

Do a 2 or 3 piece rosewood body with strips of canary in between. With a canary accent between the top and back, then go with a canary neck... :rock-on:

I'm going with the K.I.S.S method.  :laughing7:

But a reversed headstock is a possibility.  :headbang1:

Whoa, whoa whoa?  Are you Okay?  I believe that you are a Maple neck dude?!?  Canary, or Rosewood?!?  Goodness, he's gone all crazy on us.  Next it'll be a Korina body with a Wenge neck...

Either would be really cool.  I have a koa acoustic, and the wood is just great how it has a living flame look to it.  I guess it is going to be a choice of whether you want bite or growl, and I'll leave that up to you to decide.  Nice looking project.
Patrick

Death by Uberschall said:
DangerousR6 said:

I'm going with the K.I.S.S method.  :laughing7:

But a reversed headstock is a possibility.  :headbang1:
Ohhhh  k...I'm sorry I got carried away... :sad:

It's great that we'll finally see a raw neck in your collection. :icon_thumright:

Also, is it going to be an SXH, as the Kisekai image depicts? Very cool.  :icon_thumright:

You're missing the Floyd though.

Nobody's "missing" a Floyd. That's a deliberate and ill-considered choice <grin>

I'd go satin for the body to give it more of that raw wood look.  I have an Ibanez RG with strips of Cinnamon for the top and it's done up with a satin type of finish and I can't imagine it glossy.  If you're gonna be different with this one, might as well go all the way. :icon_thumright:

Cagey said:
Nobody's "missing" a Floyd. That's a deliberate and ill-considered choice <grin>

Ah, DbU must have learned his lesson now after making such bad choices with his last two Warmoths. :tard:

line6man said:
Ah, DbU must have learned his lesson now after making such bad choices with his last two Warmoths. :tard:

You would think. But, the scientific method requires repeatable experiments to validate results. I'm sure he's just being being thorough. He'll catch up to the rest of us eventually <grin>

You guys are too funny.  :laughing7:

Yes, HxS on the pick ups.
No Floyd, just because I wanted a hard tail Soloist this time.
A Maple neck is not completely out of the running, but I wanted to try something different with this guitar.
I do have a raw maple neck on my "Frankie" Strat, but having a finished neck never was a problem for me.

Cagey said:
line6man said:

You would think. But, the scientific method requires repeatable experiments to validate results. I'm sure he's just being being thorough. He'll catch up to the rest of us eventually <grin>
Science requires repeatable.  Statistics likes a population of 3, preferably 9, even better if you can get to a population of 30, then we don't have to fudge some things in the calculations.  So get to work DbU, one down 29 to go...
Patrick

Oh yeah, that is still a gorgeous piece of Koa.

You guys are too funny.  :laughing7:

Yes, HxS on the pick ups.
No Floyd, just because I wanted a hard tail Soloist this time.
A Maple neck is not completely out of the running, but I wanted to try something different with this guitar.
I do have a raw maple neck on my "Frankie" Strat, but having a finished neck never was a problem for me.
Although I am a connoisseur of maple necks, raw canary with an ebony board would be just as schaaaaaaweeeeeeeeeeet sounding....Maybe even canary on canary....that would be kick ass looking with the koa.... :headbang1:

So you have Blue, Burn Unit, and AfterBurner...So what's this one gonna be? :toothy12:

Your also going to be a 3 to 1 ratioof soloists to tele's...Time to work on some tele ideas... :laughing7:

DangerousR6 said:
So you have Blue, Burn Unit, and AfterBurner...So what's this one gonna be? :toothy12:

Your also going to be a 3 to 1 ratioof soloists to tele's...Time to work on some tele ideas... :laughing7:

Not sure what to call it. Somebody suggested 3rd Degree Burn when I was putting AfterBurner together, kinda liked it, just not sure if it fits this guitar.  :laughing7:

Don't think of it as 1 Tele and 3 Soloist, think of it as 2 flat tops and 2 carved tops.  :toothy11:

I spent some time on the phone with RobR today about the build, more things to think about, LOL.  :tard:

DangerousR6 said:

Not sure what to call it. Somebody suggested 3rd Degree Burn when I was putting AfterBurner together, kinda liked it, just not sure if it fits this guitar.  :laughing7:

Don't think of it as 1 Tele and 3 Soloist, think of it as 2 flat tops and 2 carved tops.  :toothy11:

I spent some time on the phone with RobR today about the build, more things to think about, LOL.  :tard:
Hmmmmm, :icon_scratch:

DangerousR6 said:

Burnt Sugar?
gallery_47156_6378_3812.jpg

Burnt Umber?
SepiaNudeBlog.jpg

Back