Well, I guess after number 3, comes number 4,...................................

The Central Scrutinizer said:
I would call her "Mauna Loa" (eruption or hot lava are too cheesy I guess)
but I associate Koa with Hawaii, and Hawaii with large vulcanoes, and vulcanoes are hotter than burn units or after burners...and Mauna Loa is the largest vulcano on earth on Hawaii, hence.... blah blah blah...

anyway, another exciting project!!!!  :icon_thumright:
You would be quite right in associating koa with Hawaii, since that's the only place it grows... :icon_biggrin:

How about rosewood with a pau ferro headstock laminate.? You would still have a raw neck without the need for a finish on the headstock.... :dontknow:

Death by Uberschall said:
OK, found out today that Pau Ferro is not available in a tilt back/angled headstock.  :sad1:

So back to looking at the rosewood.

I know most do not agree, but I prefer the feel, looks and tone of Rosewood over Pau Ferro.. Love it on my VIP and especially on the "Black Rose"

I don't think anyone would argue that Rosewood isn't a great fretboard wood. It's just that it's so common it dilutes the fact that you've got a custom instrument. And there are better woods. Traditionally, the "upgrade" was Ebony. Since Warmoth started offering other exotics, it turns out there are a number of great woods for that purpose. But, they're also not in great supply, so no mainstream manufacturer is going to switch to or offer them.

I meant Rosewood as a neck wood... I think Rosewood necks with Ebony boards are one of the best combinations ever!

I see. Well, I'm not going to argue that one, either. Anything with an Ebony fretboard is a Good Thing if you ask me.

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
Canary needs no finish either.
Canary was discussed, personally I'd do canary and ziricote. That's my fav, but I do like wenge and pau combo to... :icon_thumright:

I wouldn't match Ziricote to Black Korina. Wrong color, just for starters, and the whole thing would be too busy. Kinda like wearing stripes and plaids together. It's just not done because it offends the eye. A Korina body is a focal point, as is a Ziricote neck. Pick one.

Cagey said:
I wouldn't match Ziricote to Black Korina. Wrong color, just for starters, and the whole thing would be too busy. Kinda like wearing stripes and plaids together. It's just not done because it offends the eye. A Korina body is a focal point, as is a Ziricote neck. Pick one.
He didn't say black korina, he just said korina. Which can be just plain looking... :icon_biggrin:

DangerousR6 said:
Cagey said:
He didn't say black korina, he just said korina. Which can be just plain looking... :icon_biggrin:

Two sides of the same coin. Although, white Korina might be more forgiving of being upstaged by the neck wood.

Cagey said:
DangerousR6 said:
Cagey said:

Two sides of the same coin. Although, white Korina might be more forgiving of being upstaged by the neck wood.
Yip, both are one in the same, but different at the same time.. I think ziricote would look marvelous against WHITE Korina.... :headbang1:

Has anybody "pointed" out that a Jackson headstock has some ridiculously-angled string pulls, and as long as you're not using a Floyd, you're probably not planning on a locking nut either? :icon_scratch: I can cut a mean nut (that sound dirty, somehow) but I don't know if anybody could cut one that's not going to hang up every time you bend a wound string. Or are you not going to bend strings either... you'll still enjoy that classic "ping! ping!" as the windings hang up, and let go, as you attempt to tune it. Roller nut?  :help:

Back