Well, I guess after number 3, comes number 4,...................................

A little update;

In talking with RobR at Warmoth I found out that they can't put a gloss or satin finish on a headstock veneer unless the whole neck is finished the same way.  They also can't clean line split the body, i.e. Gloss top/Satin sides and back.

So my options are total Gloss or Satin body with either a fully finished neck and veneer to match, or total Gloss or Satin body with a fully unfinished neck and veneer.

RobR suggested the Satin finish on the body as it would be the closest match to the non-finished veneer on the headstock, which I agree with totally. But I think that flame Koa top I have picked out for the guitar would really pop with a lot more depth under a gloss coat.

And I'm still trying to decide on the neck wood and headstock shape, Jackson, "DbU" or maybe something else.

Death by Uberschall said:
So my options are total Gloss or Satin body with either a fully finished neck and veneer to match, or total Gloss or Satin body with a fully unfinished neck and veneer.

Unfinished neck, no question about it.

A little update;

In talking with RobR at Warmoth I found out that they can't put a gloss or satin finish on a headstock veneer unless the whole neck is finished the same way.  They also can't clean line split the body, i.e. Gloss top/Satin sides and back.

RobR suggested the Satin finish on the body as it would be the closest match to the non-finished veneer on the headstock, which I agree with totally. But I think that flame Koa top I have picked out for the guitar would really pop with a lot more depth under a gloss coat.

And I'm still trying to decide on the neck wood and headstock shape, Jackson, "DbU" or maybe something else.
A little info on the satin, it can be buffed out to a gloss ... So if you were to get the body done in satin, you could ask them to buff the top. Or buff it yourself...

This is the actual piece of flame Koa that'll be used.

LT942a.jpg

My biggest concern is the headstock veneer. I really would like it to have the same finish as the body.

Well:
1. if they won't just nitro the headstock veneer, you can do it yourself. :dontknow:

2. Forgo the exotic neck and go with mahogany or maple and just have it finished... :dontknow:

Another option I'm looking at is a Pau Ferro neck/ebony board.
That would be cool, and would work nicely with the koa...

For my .02, I'd say the Jackson headstock. You'd have a W, a DBU, and a Jackson.... :toothy12:

Another option I'm looking at is a Pau Ferro neck/ebony board.

I have one of those - standard thin, 1 11/16" nut, with Stainless 6100s on it. For my money, it's about as close to a perfect neck as you can get. It's an excellent combination. I also have an Ebony over Koa neck with a Curly Koa headstock laminate and gold 6100s on it. It has a gloss finish, and is one of the prettier necks I've ever seen. Also plays very well.

Go for  Reverse Warhead, if that's a Unique Choice Laminate Top, it might be possible to use an off-cut from the Laminate for the headstock veneer.  ask Rob, Spike, or Danno to see if it's possible.  Although most of the lam tops are around the same size, some times you find one with a little extra perimeter material.

Bagman67 said:
DangerousR6 said:
So you have Blue, Burn Unit, and AfterBurner...So what's this one gonna be? :toothy12:

Your also going to be a 3 to 1 ratioof soloists to tele's...Time to work on some tele ideas... :laughing7:

Burnt Sugar?

Burnt Umber?

Tropic Thunder?

tropic-thunder-poster.jpg

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
Go for  Reverse Warhead, if that's a Unique Choice Laminate Top, it might be possible to use an off-cut from the Laminate for the headstock veneer.  ask Rob, Spike, or Danno to see if it's possible.  Although most of the lam tops are around the same size, some times you find one with a little extra perimeter material.

Thanks for the info, it is a Unique Choice laminate.  :eek:ccasion14:

Corey P. said:
Bagman67 said:
DangerousR6 said:
So you have Blue, Burn Unit, and AfterBurner...So what's this one gonna be? :toothy12:

Your also going to be a 3 to 1 ratioof soloists to tele's...Time to work on some tele ideas... :laughing7:

Burnt Sugar?

Burnt Umber?

Tropic Thunder?
That's a good one, I like that...Movie was funny too... :icon_thumright:

I would call her "Mauna Loa" (eruption or hot lava are too cheesy I guess)
but I associate Koa with Hawaii, and Hawaii with large vulcanoes, and vulcanoes are hotter than burn units or after burners...and Mauna Loa is the largest vulcano on earth on Hawaii, hence.... blah blah blah...

anyway, another exciting project!!!!  :icon_thumright:

Patrick from Davis said:
I would have too much fun saying, "Magma."  Crap, I will probably spend the rest of today working that into conversation.
Patrick
"Hot liquid magma"...... :toothy12:

DangerousR6 said:
Love it, I personally say rev on the headstock... :headbang1:

Do a 2 or 3 piece rosewood body with strips of canary in between. With a canary accent between the top and back, then go with a canary neck... :rock-on:

Like this... :icon_biggrin:
backspdlx.jpg

finishspdlx.jpg

whoa! this guitar is beautiful. is that yours??

dNA said:
DangerousR6 said:
Love it, I personally say rev on the headstock... :headbang1:

Do a 2 or 3 piece rosewood body with strips of canary in between. With a canary accent between the top and back, then go with a canary neck... :rock-on:

Like this... :icon_biggrin:

whoa! this guitar is beautiful. is that yours??
I wish...

Back