First Time Build Questions

jeffjwnz

All,

I'm new to Warmoth and contemplating my first build. I've owned hundreds of guitars and built with Kiesel and others before. Just have a few questions and I'm hoping you all can look over my build and help me identify potential blind spots or things to consider.

Based on what I am seeing I can save about $300 by selecting the in-stock body #1 vs. my custom body #2. The only major difference is that I'll have to go with a swamp ash body instead of mahogany.

Questions:
  • "Dye", it seems like this color has a slight burst - i.e. it's darker around the edges correct? Is it possible to get a solid trans black top without the 1/2" black burst on the edges? I'd like the flame to go all the way up to the natural biding.
  • In Body #1 below is that water on both images? Both the "dry" and "wet" images show the water, just wanting to make sure this body doesn't isn't actually a lighter color in the middle.
  • I am considering paying the extra $200 to ensure I get a minimum of a 3A roasted flame maple neck. I cannot currently choose my matching flame maple board, does Warmoth do a pretty good job of matching this up? Thoughts?
  • Modern vs. Modern Tilt Back w/ Reverse Strat Headstock - I've never seen a fender headstock with a tiltback design. Anyone have a link?
  • If you do a tiltback design do they add a scarfjoint?
  • Would you opt. for rear bolts on the Floyd nut?
  • Black (Burst-over), Black Burst, Black Burst (Burst-over) -- what is the difference in these 3? See the pic below.
  • Gotoh vs. Schaller (I vote Gotoh but want your thoughts)
  • 720 mod (I vote no but want your thoughts)
Any other tips or considerations are appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff

back color.png

Neck:
  • Construction Modern
  • Shaft Wood Roasted Flame Maple
  • Fretboard Wood Roasted Flame Maple
  • Unique Choice No, Warmoth can choose for me.
  • Nut Width1-11/16" (43mm) - Modern Medium
  • Right / Left Handed - Right-Handed Reverse
  • Neck Back Profile - Standard Thin
  • Fretboard Radius 10" - 16" Compound
  • Number of Frets 24 Fret Extension
  • Fret Size & Material SS6100 - Jumbo (Stainless)
  • Tuner Hole Size Gotoh/Grover (13/32" - 11/32")
  • Inlay Shape Premium Dots
  • Inlay Material Black Mother Of Pearl
  • Side Dots Black Side Dots
  • String Nut R3 Floyd Prep w/ Mounting Holes
  • Mounting Holes Standard 4-Bolt
  • Neck Heel Shape Strat® Shape
  • Finish Clear Satin Nitro (Maple/Maple)
Warmoth Neck.PNG

Body Option #1:
  • Construction Chambered Core
  • Wood Swamp Ash
  • Lam Top Wood Flame Maple
  • Lam Top Upgrades Flame Maple - High Grade
  • Right / Left Handed Right-Handed
  • Control Cavity Rear Rout
  • Neck Pickup Rout None
  • Middle Pickup Rout None
  • Bridge Pickup Rout Humbucker (Wood Mount)
  • Controls Tone 2
  • Jack Rout 7/8" (22mm) Side Jack Hole
  • Bridge Rout Type Tremolo Bridge Rout
  • Original Floyd Rose Recessed
  • Would you like Warmoth to install the bridge studs? No
  • Neck Pocket Shape Strat®
  • Body Contours Forearm Contour, Tummy Cut, Custom Contoured
  • Heel Binding & Edge Decorations - Natural Masked Edges
  • Paint Category Dye Top Color Black Dye Back
  • Color Black Satin or Gloss - Gloss
Warmoth Body 2.PNG
Warmoth Body 2.1.PNG

Body Option #2:
  • Construction Solid Core
  • Wood Mahogany (1-piece)
  • Lam Top Wood Flame Maple
  • Unique Choice Yes, show me some Lam Lops (additional cost).
  • Unique Choice Lam TopsGLT-1440
  • Right / Left Handed
  • Right-Handed Control Cavity
  • Rear Rout
  • Neck Pickup Rout None
  • Middle Pickup Rout None
  • Bridge Pickup Rout Humbucker (Wood Mount)
  • Controls Tone 2
  • Jack Rout 7/8" (22mm) Side Jack Hole
  • Bridge Rout Type Tremolo Bridge Rout
  • Original Floyd Rose Recessed
  • Would you like Warmoth to install the bridge studs? No
  • Neck Pocket Shape Strat®
  • Body Contours Forearm Contour, Tummy Cut, Custom Contoured Heel
  • Binding & Edge Decorations - Natural Masked Edges
  • Battery Box Single Battery Box
  • Paint Category Dye
  • Top Color Black Dye
  • Back Color Black
  • Gloss
Warmoth Body 3.PNG

Cool build ideas. I would recommend the 720 mod personally. I just like the look. Also Gotoh tuners are preferred to schaller personally. Yes warmoth tiltback headstocks have a scarf joint. Rear Floyd holes make the setup and assembly process easier so it’s my preference.

Upvote 0
These are some really nice pieces you're looking at, you can't go wrong with these building blocks. I thought I'd put one bit of unsolicited advice out there: Maybe consider a soloist body if you're getting the 24-fret neck, as then you'll have better access to those upper frets? I find it hard enough to play comfortably on the 22nd with a strat body, but maybe that's just me.

Upvote 0
With the natural mask accent, you're going to have a little bit of a burst around the edge of the top pretty much no matter what you pick for the back color. My understanding is that it's done to make the accent look nicer, cleaner, and crisper since dye rarely stops perfectly absorbing into the wood fibers right at the tape line. Maybe the burst/burst-over options would result in a deeper/large burst on the top, though.

Upvote 0
Would you opt. for rear bolts on the Floyd nut?

Yes
Gotoh vs. Schaller (I vote Gotoh but want your thoughts)

Either Schaller Lockmeister or Gotoh 1996. I would lean toward Schaller.

Would you like Warmoth to install the bridge studs? No

If you use the Schaller, add a set of Floyd Rose studs and inserts and get Warmoth to install them. If you go for the Gotoh, the holes are not the correct size for the Gotoh inserts, but you can use Floyd Rose studs and inserts and the Gotoh will work with those.

Overall the Schaller Lockmeister is dimensionally the same as the OFR rout you have chosen and you will have a more straightforward experience if Warmoth install the studs and you use this option.

720 mod (I vote no but want your thoughts)

No.
I am considering paying the extra $200 to ensure I get a minimum of a 3A roasted flame maple neck. I cannot currently choose my matching flame maple board, does Warmoth do a pretty good job of matching this up? Thoughts?
Usually, Warmoth would select appropriate boards to go together. Check with Warmoth sales or add notes to your order when checking out.

Upvote 0
Modern vs. Modern Tilt Back w/ Reverse Strat Headstock - I've never seen a fender headstock with a tiltback design. Anyone have a link?
SN-31713b.JPG.jpg

https://warmoth.com/index.php/guitar-necks/stratocaster/sn-31450-32071
SN-31713a.JPG.jpg

Upvote 0
Tiltback vs standard means nothing when you install a locking nut.

Agree. I used a Tiltback Strat neck on a Velocity body with the Gotoh 510 trem. This was for 2 reasons. 1, there is consistent break angle over the nut with a straight line to the tuning peg, and 2, there is no side truss rod adjust doo-hickey, which allows a Fender Ultra/Elite type heel.

If using a locknut, aside from looks and possibly a need for a string tree retainer, there is no difference.

Upvote 0
Back