Warmoth vs Gibson Explorer shape

Not sure if you are aware, but you can snail mail in a tracing to Warmoth and it will be used as the template for a custom body shape. Yeah, it will cost more than a mass produced shape but it'll stand a better chance of fitting and intonating with the neck you may have in mind. Call your friendly Warmoth representive for details.  :icon_biggrin:

Gregg- I know.  But there's only 2 ways I've come up with to do that: a) buy an Explorer and do the tracing myself, and then sell it.  Probably lose some money on that deal.  There just aren't a lot of Explorer Pro's out there in the used market.  (I could buy one from Musician's Friend, and then return it, but that's kind of low...)  b) Find a kind soul who owns one to do the tracing.  Haven't investigated that one yet.  I have a lead on another parts place that might already have an exact Explorer body.  I'm researching that right now.

Here's a third way since you have the actual axial measurements between points... If you have a friend that has access to serious Photoshop type software they can take a JPEG or other graphics format of the actual body you want the tracing from and blow it up to actual size based on a known measurement like the diagonal from the lower left corner to the right horn, and you can get a print shop to print that out on a plotter.

If you don't have access to a friend with the software, you might be able to take the JPEG and measurements to a local print shop and have them do the whole job for you.

R n R Dr said:
Gregg- I know.  But there's only 2 ways I've come up with to do that: a) buy an Explorer and do the tracing myself, and then sell it.  Probably lose some money on that deal.  There just aren't a lot of Explorer Pro's out there in the used market.  (I could buy one from Musician's Friend, and then return it, but that's kind of low...)  b) Find a kind soul who owns one to do the tracing.  Haven't investigated that one yet.  I have a lead on another parts place that might already have an exact Explorer body.  I'm researching that right now.
Just walk into guitar center with paper and pencil and tell them you need a tracing real quick. If you buy strings or picks there they'll be agreeable. If you don't buy strings or picks there normally, do it that day so they feel you are a customer to serve.

Another possibility:

http://www.guitarbuildingtemplates.com/CNCGuitarTemplates.htm

...Except that he takes for-freakin'-ever to ship your templates.  I ordered one from him a while back and it took about 45 days to get it.  I kept complaining and he kept yakking about his disclaimer.  After 41 days I lodged a complaint about him with PayPal and got my stuff a few days later.  After doing my Jazz bass from the template I wasn't happy with the neck pocket.

But anyway, you could order his explorer template, which looks accurate for the Gibson.

JBD

Just walk into guitar center with paper and pencil and tell them you need a tracing real quick. If you buy strings or picks there they'll be agreeable. If you don't buy strings or picks there normally, do it that day so they feel you are a customer to serve.

Gregg- That's actually not a bad idea.  (I've actually bought a bunch of stuff from them over the last 6 months.)  Small problem is that my local GC doesn't have the Pro, just the normal one.  Guitar Showcase does have the Pro, but I just keep window shopping there.  Now, if only I could come up with a pretty good reason ...  (Maybe something like my kid wants to make one for school or something and I only have an LP and a STrat or something!  :headbang1:

Jack- Also a good idea.  But I get nervous because I *still* don't have an absolutely dead on shot of a Pro.  So when I blow it up, something will end up out of proportion.  But then I could just take a good picture of one in a guitar store too!  A number of ways to do this I guess ...

should be able to get a pick of one of the vintage explorers they have at Showcase. Last time i looked they had a couple of white korina explores ands v's downstairs next to the acoustics room

Brian

I'm getting the weird looking Warmoth Explorer and I'm going to like it, god damn it!!! :toothy12: :tard:

I shouldn't say this, but Warmoth's does look a mite bit better now that I know it's the same as Charvel's !    :guitaristgif:

OK - now you've just proven that you're insane and I will not read your posts again!!

I'm just kidding though. ;)

GoDrex said:
I'm getting the weird looking Warmoth Explorer and I'm going to like it, god damn it!!! :toothy12: :tard:

GoDrex said:
OK - now you've just proven that you're insane and I will not read your posts again!!

I'm just kidding though. ;)

Funny how knowing that Warmoth's shape was used by a *real* guitar company changes how I/we look at it...

:headbang1:

I never realized the shape was different... but tis true, I prefer the gibson. Great idea of gregg's though.

What I did was order two templates from them. One for the body shape I wanted and the other for the neck pocket rout. then I taped them together.

Brian

Brian- I am working with Jamie at http://www.guitarplansunlimited.com/ to get them to do the Pro body.  The guy seems really willing to help.  I'll keep everyone updated.  I don't if y'all are as interested in the Pro vs std Explorer body as I am.  (Mathias Jabs from the Scorps plays an Explorer 90, which is as far as I know, the identical body size as the Pro.)  :rock-on:

http://www.guitarplansunlimited.com/

OK, Jamie adjusted the drawings he has of the normal Explorer for the smaller Pro with the pictures I sent him, and I just bought a set!  Just email them what you want, and he'll get it to you.  (I don't know if they'll ever put the Pro drawings up on the web site though.)

Thanks Brian!  :eek:ccasion14:

Back