Warmoth User Rigs

Super Turbo,

was the goal to get more wattage out of the amp, or is there a tone aspect to running the speakers at diff impedence?

Brian

It seems to me that building your own guitar in order to get it perfect also means that you have a build a gargantuan rack to get your sound right as well.
Well, I just got a MXR M-80 pedal for my pedalboard, Considering a Hartke Hy-Drive head. I don't need a really expensive head to get my tone as I run the eq flat anyway.

bpmorton777 said:
Super Turbo,

was the goal to get more wattage out of the amp, or is there a tone aspect to running the speakers at diff impedence?

Brian

Yes and no.  If I wanted to get all 600 watts out of the head, I had to run it a 2 ohms.  At 4 ohms, it was 400 watts, and 225 watts at 8 ohms.  As far as the 16 ohm 10" speakers in the 4x10 cab, that is pretty standard.  They are in parallel, so they act as one unit with a total 4 ohm load.  That goes into one of the speaker ouputs, the 1x15 is 4 ohm and goes into the other.  The 4x10 and 1x15 have the same total load, so in theory they are equal as far as output.  An Ampeg 8x10 enclosure is 4 ohm but each 10" speaker is 32 ohm.  In fact, that 4x10 cab was originally 8 ohm.  It had four 32 ohm speakers.

Here's my pedalboard:
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=4fd9915c46190d6ed2db6fb9a8902bda

I have a light, really transparent overdrive in the Boss overdrive pedal and more heavy distortion in the MXR M-80.

Crappy, i love the fact that your rack has (2) 5 watt heads in it instead of some ridiculously over-sized head (no offence to anybody of course). i hate seeing on guitargeek and stuff like that, these guys racks with (4) 100 w heads, only ONE of which is turned on, and through 4 (or 8 or 12  :sad1:) quad boxes.

so it's nice to see something different  :headbang:

question: i see people using furman power conditioners alot. what the hell do they do? i'm a little ignorant with a lot of gear  :tard:

First of all, some awesome gear in this thread!

I used to be a "Guitar + Cord + Amp" kinda guy because there is a certain purity and focus in that kind of set up. Then I started playing with a locally successful classic rock band covering music from the 60's to 90's and I just had to change my sound in order to capture the vibe of certain songs.

I am also a firm believer that changing your guitar sound alot during the course of a gig is a great way to keep the audience fresh and interested. If you're a "one sound kinda guy" I don't care how good that sound is, it becomes boring after the first set. Yup, even if you're a blues player. So, after a lot of trial and error, I have settled on these effects.

aIMG_4380lo-res.jpg

At the top, is a Boss TU-2 and a Korg tuner. I use 2 tuners because some of my guitars have the Buzz Feiten tuning system, and others are regular. Having the Boss TU-2 on their allows me to tune silently with either tuner.

I recently added a Boss GE-7 EQ pedal as an attenuator for my humbucker equipped guitars. When I switch from a Strat to a Les Paul in the middle of the set, I just hit the EQ pedal to reduce the guitar volume a little and the EQ is optomized for that guitar.

The pedal on the left is a Ross Stereo Chrous. I use this for adding a light chorus effect on many songs, especially from the late 70's and early 80's.

Then there's my Analogman King of Tone pedal which is essentially a 3 stage boost/overdrive pedal. This allows me to dial in just the right amount of grit when I need a raunchier rhythm sound.

The Analogman TS-9 Tube Screamer is used for those screaming solo tones.

Next is the RMC Picture Wah. Self explanatory. How can play 70's rock without a wah wah? LOL!

......and finally, the Boss DD-3 Digital Delay. Lots of 80's songs use a digital or analog delay. It really fattens up the solo tones, fills out finger picking parts, and just glazes everything with that big 80's sound when you need it.

I use all this stuff seamlessly and and keep it very subtle. The last thing I want that nasty, swirly/fizzy sound so common on digital modeling amps.

This is what gets me through my gigs!

Doh!  Shoulda posted my pics here...

The Dry Rig:

Rig1.jpg

The Dry Rig w/ Main Geetars (that's me new Strat):

Rig2.jpg

Stompboxes (only OD/Dist):

OD.jpg

The Wet Rig (this handles all FX for live playing):

WetRig1.jpg

DAW (Home) Recording Unit (awesome A/D converters):

EMU1820m.jpg

The 'puter (built this too):

Puter.jpg

And one o' these (for doing Hammond B3, ARP, MiniMoog, etc... and drums too)

Keystation88es-large.jpg

Addendum - '67 blackface Fender Deluxe, all original glass - all original everything... talk about "touch-sensitive" and "dynamic", this
amp is one of *the* Holy Grail Tone of Tones:

67Deluxe01.jpg

rightintheface said:
question: i see people using furman power conditioners alot. what the hell do they do? i'm a little ignorant with a lot of gear  :tard:

Some are nothing more than rackmounted surge protectors with multiple outlets.  The more expensive ones clean up the power and remove spikes.  The even more expensive ones (around $600) have power factor correction, regardless of the voltage going in, the output is a constant 120v.

you guys with your crazy rigs kill me, mine pales in comparision, ill post pix when i get a new cab, but for now heres what it is
80's style warmoth strat -> Pedal Board( tuner, boss ds-1, boss metal zone, - Ibanez flanger - mxr 10 band eq, dunlop crybaby 535q) ->Laney AOR -> marshall mg cab
Ill soon be getting an avatar 4-12 with v-30's and hopefully a noise gate and a delay pedal, maybe a hot plate one day too

Crazy rigs indeed...

All I got is a Fender Studio 85, which I got for free...  From there, I have a Boss TU-2, Boss Hyper Metal, and Boss Super Chorus into my Gibson Explorer Voodoo, or my fiancee's white Warmoth Strat (which I still have to teach her how to use)

Got plans for much more stuff including some boutique pedals, a decent amp, and a warmoth for myself, but need MONEY....  You guys must have good jobs  :laughing7:

I used to have a crazy complex rig.  Every time I changed something though I removed something.  The sound actually improved through this process until I just got down to a good tube amp driven by a good distortion and a delay pedal. Sometimes with a chorus as well - but not often.

With this, I found I could get a huge palette of sounds.  Hell, it's all in your fingers anyways... :icon_biggrin:

BTW these days i've reduced further and now I just use a modeler straight into the PA.  Happy as a clam.

Xplorervoodoo said:
Got plans for much more stuff including some boutique pedals, a decent amp, and a warmoth for myself, but need MONEY....  You guys must have good jobs

Nah... got my JTM45RI used for $650 about 5 years ago... and the mods I did were about $400.  So about a grand for real "old-school" tone.

I also didn't buy everything at once.

All you really need is (as someone mentioned along these lines) a *good* tube-amp circuit (and the simpler the better), a *good* boost pedal (if necessary) and a *good* speaker in a *good* cab.  And a *good* guitar with *good* strings and pickups of course.  Everything else is fluff.

In fact, I'd venture to estimate that 3/4 of the stuff sold in your typical guitar store/online store is crap and/or fluff used to lay yet another layer of processing on your tone.  You wind up with a heavily FX'd buzzsaw/angry bees-in-a-bottle tone with zero dynamics.

Less is more - keep it simple.  More $$$ does not automatically = better tone.

Superlizard said:
More $$$ does not automatically = better tone.

I agree with that.  However, more $$$ = more toys.  It may not give me the tone I'm looking for, but it will help me in my search  :laughing7:

Xplorervoodoo said:
Superlizard said:
More $$$ does not automatically = better tone.

I agree with that.  However, more $$$ = more toys.  It may not give me the tone I'm looking for, but it will help me in my search  :laughing7:

+1  Good call on both counts  :icon_thumright:

Back