WARMOTH BAD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well. I have a compound radius Warmoth neck and it doesn't buzz at all.

Weird, eh? This appears to be a genuine mystery.

Anyone else?

It's possible these "luthiers" didn't know that the compound radius ends up flattening to about 19" at the bridge. Consequently, you have to specially grind the saddles on any tunematic-type bridge, because they come in stock at a 12" radius. Also, if you're using a Floyd Rose, you have to purchase and install the shim set that's designed to adjust the saddles. Some Floyds come with the shims that you have to remove.... but every "luthier" knows this. I don't know who you talk to.... there's nothing inherent in the individual string paths on a compound radius neck that is any buzzier than a straight radius neck.

You might want to refer your "luthiers" to these links, or even tell them to google "Floyd Rose radius shims" themselves.

http://www.rackcreations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=44

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1100117

Before I put together my first Warmoth guitar, I had always trusted my set up to a pro.  But, one reason that I wanted to assemble a Warmoth was to gain more knowledge about the instrument, so I picked up some books about setting up an electric guitar (Erlewine, you are the man) and low and behold, it was easier than I thought, and a very logical process to boot.  I now have four Warmoth builds that have never been in another man's shop, as well as a couple other guitars that will never see the inside of one again.  I am far from being a pro guitar tech, and I can set up my compound necks just as optimally and as easily as I can for my production guitars with straight radii.  Fear of the unknown tends to go away when it becomes the known.

Compound radius is not a problem at all. Dan Erlewine for one loudly and repeatedly recommends them. I personally think it's maybe a bit overhyped, but I'm not about to pay extra for the straight radius. Jerry, you've got to name names, all this 'some people say' junk just doesn't wash, give us a break. If your luthier can't set up a warmoth neck he doesn't deserve your money - I've taken three warmoths into Rudy's (as in Pensa) Music Stop for minor fret dressing and the staff there were very complimentary - and these guys spend their days working on some serious gear.

My Luthier commented on how good the neck was, it also slotted perfectly into a new Fender Strat body

normal_012bodneck.jpg

If anyone states that a compound radius causes buzzing, then they simply don't understand the geometry of the issue. Each string travels its own path to the bridge saddle. Getting these frets level to each other along that path is the goal in any fret level. Some techs have radiused leveling and sanding blocks that they try to use on compound radiused necks which is a mistake. You just have to know the animal you're dealing with and use the right methods and tools for the job.

I have used a number of different radiuses and I have to admit, my best playing guitars are the ones with the 10-16 compound radiuses. I can see why Ken Warmoth decided to make that his standard feature on his guitar necks so many years ago. I'm sure it has helped fuel the good reputation of Warmoth necks.

I will say this...I have only built one Warmoth for my dad and it was with a compound neck. The very first thing he noticed and still raves about is the neck. In addition I had it professinally dressed and not only is there no buzz it intonates perfectly all strings all the way down the neck.

I have to agree these so called luthiers don't know what their talking about when it comes to compound necks.

I'd give the Luthiers in question the benefit of the doubt and assume they're the real deal.  However, Luthier is a term thrown around loosely and often incorrectly.  Just because a music store has a guy that knows how to do a setup, a Luthier does not necessarily make him.

Gregg said:
If anyone states that a compound radius causes buzzing, then they simply don't understand the geometry of the issue. Each string travels its own path to the bridge saddle. Getting these frets level to each other along that path is the goal in any fret level. Some techs have radiused leveling and sanding blocks that they try to use on compound radiused necks which is a mistake. You just have to know the animal you're dealing with and use the right methods and tools for the job.
My thoughts exactly.  You're not after a cylinder (ala straight radius), its a cone.  Radiused blocks can create dead spots (or worse) on compound necks, those are best left to straight radii.  You should level side to side to follow the compound curve or at radiused angles from the nut.  My Tele doesnt buzz at all and its got fairly low action.

f anyone states that a compound radius causes buzzing, then they simply don't understand the geometry of the issue. Each string travels its own path to the bridge saddle. Getting these frets level to each other along that path is the goal in any fret level. Some techs have radiused leveling and sanding blocks that they try to use on compound radiused necks which is a mistake. You just have to know the animal you're dealing with and use the right methods and tools for the job.
My thoughts exactly.  You're not after a cylinder (ala straight radius), its a cone.  Radiused blocks can create dead spots (or worse) on compound necks, those are best left to straight radii.  You should level side to side to follow the compound curve or at radiused angles from the nut.  My Tele doesnt buzz at all and its got fairly low action.

ahm ratr n yrr roong, shoor.Xactky.

In my mind a luthier is a guy who can repair a broken acoustic guitar, or better still, a broken violin.  A dude with a bunch of wrenches and files is not necessarily a luthier.  Otherwise we'd all be luthiers here... :p

Guys who just do setups and guitar maintenance I would call "techs."  It's kind of a blurry line though.

(Yes, yes, I know there are luthiers who don't work with acoustics... Paul Reed Smith comes to mind.)

If they cant carve a neck by hand from a rough chunk of wood they aint a luthier IMO, everyone else is a tech or a tech who can do some basic body routing and shaping (if they can do a carved top then maybe it's a grey area!).

dbw said:
(Yes, yes, I know there are luthiers who don't work with acoustics... Paul Reed Smith comes to mind.)
funny, I didn't know that programming a CNC qualifies as being a luthier too....

I don't think PRS himself programs the CNC.  Anyway when he started out he built 'em by hand.

dbw said:

errrrrr.......

http://namm09.musicradar.com/news/1694/

:icon_thumright:

I think.. think.. marko and I saw those at the Dallas Guitar dealie.. they were pricey.

Small off topic, the title of this thread makes me want to start one.. WARMOTH SMASH!

Back when Marko told me to build a guitar I did look online and saw a bunch of wankers complain, then I came here and saw all the pictures of yous guys projects, and I just assumed the complainers did something wrong themselves. So don't worry about the W, Warmoth is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back